SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Charge battery when lying down? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35657)

Hardenburgward1@aol. 05-21-2018 10:33 AM

Charge battery when lying down?

I have an X2. It is a bit of a hassle to get it up/down stairs to get into the house. I have space under the porch but not enough to stand the unit up. Would it harm the segway to be stored horizontally when not in use? Would charging batteries while unit is horizontal be a problem? Under porch is neither heated nor air conditioned so I wonder if normal New Jersey Summer temperatures would be a problem. IF this plan is doable I would bring the segway inside the house during the winter.

Don M 05-21-2018 11:10 AM

When they're powered on, our I2's 'climb' up and down stairs pretty easily with little effort from the operator - My wife can do it without much trouble

The batteries don't care if you charge them right side up, laying on their side or upside down - No harm at all. They would probably prefer not to be charged in really hot (or really cold) temperatures. Warmer than 90 degrees or so would be about where I would get a bit concerned. If you're using them regularly I can see where you would prefer not to have to deal with the stairs and leave them outside - Sounds like a workable solution to me

Don

truck 05-21-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. (Post 243016)
I have an X2. It is a bit of a hassle to get it up/down stairs to get into the house. I have space under the porch but not enough to stand the unit up. Would it harm the segway to be stored horizontally when not in use? Would charging batteries while unit is horizontal be a problem? Under porch is neither heated nor air conditioned so I wonder if normal New Jersey Summer temperatures would be a problem. IF this plan is doable I would bring the segway inside the house during the winter.

Here are the temperatures that the batteries like. Copies from the manual.
Temperature Ranges
Operating 14°F to 122°F (-10°C to 50°C)
Charging 14°F to 122°F (-10°C to 50°C)
Storage and Transport -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C)

dmurphy 05-21-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. (Post 243016)

The Segway will charge just fine on its side.

Glad to see another NJ face out there!! Just picked up my i2 SE over the winter, and then proceeded to blow out my knee. Finally getting to the point where I can think about getting back on it and getting out there!

Hardenburgward1@aol. 05-22-2018 04:51 PM

Hi dmurohy,
Your unspoken comment is correct. You don’t seem to see many segways in New Jersey. Not sure why as the state law allows them, but other than a few police they just don’t seem to be around. Too bad. Folks don’t realize how much fun they are missing.
Mark