SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Segway is over? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=38755)

Hardenburgward1@aol. 06-23-2020 04:11 PM

Segway is over?

Saw something on cnn business that Segway is bring shut town.
Anyone have any information about that?

SegwayUtah 06-23-2020 04:46 PM

It sounds like it's just the big machines (Segway PT i2 SE, x2 SE, etc.) that are being discontinued.

They only account for like 1-2% of the company's revenue these days, according to the article at the Verge.

Still, that's very sad. I love love love my i2. They're such great machines.

I wonder if it makes any sense to buy one of the last i2 SEs before the stock runs out. :(

sorka 06-23-2020 04:47 PM

Not enough volume because the touring companies basically keep their existing units running forever(some with over 100K miles on them).

I've decided to order two new ones (through a dealer but shipped from the factory).

dgbint 06-23-2020 05:53 PM

Let's hope that some support information will be released to the public domain.
So interested parties could offer some level of support.

It would be a shame to leave all those owners without support.

Hardenburgward1@aol. 06-23-2020 09:47 PM

Love my x2

Hope some kind of support for X2 types continues somehow.

I an 72 and I am drifting into balance issues when I get up at night to visit the bathroom. Found that riding a Segway for 15-20 minutes every 2 or 3 days Provides enough balance practice to keep my balance issues under control. My doctor had a good laugh about that but concluded it is an OK solution and he would keep it in mind for other people with similar problems.

I have an X2 at home and another X2 at my second hone. I am a bit concerned that if either one develops a problem, that is when it becomes unfixable.

gbrandwood 06-24-2020 12:25 PM

What a glide

This really is a shame to hear :(

Whilst I thought their cards were marked from the day Ninebot acquired them, I had hoped that somehow they would live on forever. The plant that is closing in New Hampshire is the company behind the 'real' Segway brand. The products it manufactured were the products that I fell in love with back when I first discovered them in 2003.

The company that lives on is obviously more successful at selling products into their target markets but they are a far cry from the vision that started it all off.
The story revealed in Steve Kemper's book, Code Name Ginger, was one set on changing the world, revolutionising human transport, cities... it wasn't to be.

Still, for all of those miles racked up on two self-balancing wheels, what a glide it was.

Good luck to all of the employees from the factory and the various businesses that my be affected by this change.

RobOh 06-24-2020 03:45 PM

I’m truly broken hearted to hear the REAL Segway is no more. So many memories and experiences because of that amazing device, not just with the people I’d cross paths with while gliding but also meeting Dean a few times, sharing rides along the lakefront in Chicago in 2003 during SegFest with Doug Field and the engineers who gave life to the HT (and Steve Wozniak, too!)... I’m sad that the amazing machine it is has given way to a cheap plastic substitute (MiniPro, which I have two of, but they’re not nearly as reliable.

I’m just so sad to see it go. In another alternate universe maybe we would have all been gliding along in Dean’s original vision.

By the way: I’m in the market for a good used i2 if anyone has one in good shape at a reasonable price. I miss the robust fullness of it and I’m in a position where I can afford one again.

Philip 06-24-2020 04:11 PM

PTs, parts ands service will continue for some time yet

This news is very upsetting and disappointing for many of us here, including International Distributors, Dealers, Tour operators....and just about every person who ever owned a Segway PT.

But for the time being there are still brand new Segway PTs available to buy, and will be for some time. The party is still going!

Segway, Inc. are well-stocked with spare parts for years to come, and the service centres will continue to remain active into the future. With so many PTs out there in active use, I hope and imagine there will be a good business case to continue to provide technical repair service for many years.

Here in New Zealand my business intends to continue offering RST repairs for the foreseeable future. This includes Level 3/4 (factory-level) repairs such as replacing and programming CU Boards and BSAs, replacing motors, power supplies. etc). I imagine that many other International Distributors also intend to do so.

Locally, we have hundreds and hundreds of active Segway PT users who rely upon their devices for work, tour businesses or for personal mobility. Larger countries have thousands.

One day, a fresh full-sized PT will appear, designed and built with the benefit of 20+ years of experience. At various intersections of price and weight there is definitely a market of full-sized PTs, and now the world has experience of self-balancing machines, getting over the conceptual hurdle of making sale will be easier in the future. We know where that point sits for a ~$10,000 machine with LeanSteer that weighs 50 kg. We also know were that point sits for a ~$1,000 machine with knee-steer that weights 15kg. Last year hundreds of thousands of self-balancing machines were sold, and has been the case every year for a while now (most of these units are being sold in China, where last year I watched them coming off the production line in enormous quantities).

I still believe that - one of these days - a very significant portion of people who currently think e-scooters are such a good idea will come round to the benefits of self-balancing devices - be it in small or large form factors. For example, it is my opinion that 50% of people who currently buy and use e-scooters would prefer and be better served by S-PRO (miniPRO) or S-PLUS (miniPLUS) devices....but they just don't know it yet. And in that scheme of things hardly anyone knows the benefits of full-sized wheels for a safe and comfortable journey from A to B.

I guess only time will tell, but I still think that in the future we will all dive standing up - or so it has been said :-)

https://segwaynz.wordpress.com/2012/...talking-heads/

Philip

plumber802 06-25-2020 09:02 AM

Soooo....Is my I2 SE now considered a "collector's item"?

lilnyc 06-27-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumber802 (Post 247512)
Soooo....Is my I2 SE now considered a "collector's item"?

I wish I'd kept mine for that reason. Dead batteries and all.