SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Airwheel vs Segway (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34658)

Reckless 08-15-2016 11:29 AM

Airwheel vs Segway

I am sure the Segway is a better product but its price is much more than a comparable Airwheel. Just wondering if anyone can comment on comparing the two. The Airwheel S3 looks slimmer then the I2 and definitely weighs alot less.

I did a search through the forum and didn't see any comparisons.

Civicsman 08-15-2016 01:31 PM

I know nothing about the Airwheel S3, apart from the fact that it is an obvious close copy of Segway products. The last time I heard, Segway was vigorously pursuing patent violation claims against a number of companies. The Airwheel S3 might well violate the original two-wheeled self-balance patents and the more recent LeanSteer patents. If Airwheel is violating Segway patents, there is a real possibility that sales in the US may be stopped. Without sales, where would you get service and parts?

Also, do Airwheels have completely redundant batteries/control systems, as do the i2/x2 Segway machines? Such systems prevent face plants if something fails, but they cost more. Since it weighs less, this suggests that the SoloWheel might not have the structural strength of a Seg, which is pretty bulletproof.

ions82 08-15-2016 04:27 PM

Since Ninebot bought Segway, does that mean the patents apply internationally? I'm guessing they are about impossible to enforce overseas, anyway. I recently came across the Airwheel when looking around online for Segway batteries. The idea of buying a new/complete machine for less than the cost of Seg batteries is appealing in a way, but I still consider the Airwheel to be a "throwaway" machine. If something ever breaks, just throw It away and get a new one. Even in looking at pictures, you can easily sees that the quality is nowhere near a Segway.

It seems that a used Seg with good batteries is around $3,000-3,500. It's twice the cost of an Airwheel, but it's five times the machine. Nonetheless, I'd still be curious to hear reviews. I just doubt that there will be any reviews that include "10,000 miles later..." The way I see it, there's a reason this forum is nearly 15 years old and is full of die-hard Segway users.

airdale 08-15-2016 05:20 PM

I thought we had a few Airwheel owners here?
They said were difficult to ride, and couldn't really be compared?
I think the Ninebot E is a better comparison...

Civicsman 08-15-2016 05:36 PM

Patent coverage does not change with ownership of the patents. Besides the USA, I don't know where else Segway patents may have been filed.

You are correct that patents are difficult or impossible to enforce in some countries. China has disrespected intellectual property rights for a LONG time, and I am pretty certain that manufacturers there have nothing to fear from US or European patents.

As I recall, however, US Customs is now involved, and anyone expecting delivery of a self-balancing device that allegedly violates Segway's patents might be disappointed. Perhaps AirWheel doesn't use any Segway intellectual property, or perhaps they have a license for use from Segway. I read an article that said they were moving production to Europe, which suggests to me that they don't think they have a patent problem.

Civicsman 08-15-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

The question from the original poster was about the AirWheel S3. This device looks fundamentally like a Gen 2 Segway

airdale 08-15-2016 06:45 PM

So is airwheel being sued by Ninebot then?....or are they the same company?

Reckless 08-15-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airdale (Post 239957)

Thanks for the summary feedback. I wonder if any segway owners have tried the Airwheel A3 sitting segway device. It looks easier to ride but obviously less robust and long lasting as the segway.

Don M 08-16-2016 11:48 AM

I can't imagine anything 'easier to ride' than an I2 Seg - Once you get proficient on it, it's like an extension of your body - Completely natural

Don

TLyleJeep 08-17-2016 03:53 PM

My neighbor purchased an Airwheel S3 and it was broken in less than 3 days. He then ordered a Ninebot PTR E Plus by Segway and loves it! You can just look at it and see the quality difference. The moral of the story is you get what you pay for.