SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   miniPRO Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34265)

circos 01-28-2016 04:55 AM

Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO

Hi Guys!
Have someone have a pleasure to ride or own new Segway/Ninebot MINI PRO ?

energetic 01-31-2016 10:16 AM

I understand that this product will be released this Monday, so my guess is negative.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34271

rotorblades 01-31-2016 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energetic (Post 238842)
I understand that this product will be released this Monday, so my guess is negative.

oh im so tired of seeing ads and phoney news links and a tickertape that changes too fast to read and click bait this was such an awesome site with awesome smart folks it helped this old disabled vet learn and understand so much i shouldn't gripe at all i must not be the only one cuz it sure is slow around here

at all

therealzam 03-02-2016 04:26 PM

I've got one!

I was able to get a Mini a few months ago. I'm a disabled user whose owned every model since the 180, including a p133. I currently have an i2 and i2 SE. I've also got the X2 tires and fenders. Given my experience, I thought I'd give you some feedback:

1: Control Shaft: the between the legs thing is a DUH feature that should have been on the device since day 1. You have MUCH more control than using a handlebar. Since about a year into my i2, I modified it in a similar way. Unfortunately, the rod on the mini is a bit too short but works amazingly.

2: Portability: that's the greatest thing about it. At 25lbs, I can get it in and out of my car with ease. It's amazingly liberating to me. I can now easily drive anywhere. The biggest issue with the size is that my size 15 feet protrude about 4in in front of the device when I use it so I've got to be very careful not to hit anything with them.

3: Controls: These are some features which should have been added a decade ago. I mean, Segway has a big robotics division. Being able to lock / unlock the device, view status information, etc. via a smartphone is a no brainier. Unfortunately, you can't turn the thing on with your phone, you have to use the power button. This is a MAJOR security flaw as anyone could activate the device if it was left unlocked. The other problem is that it turns itself off after 2 or 3 hours when locked. Fortunately, it will remain in locked mode once reactivated but I'd rather the device alarm go off at any time when the device is moved while locked.

4: Remote Control Mode: One word, AWESOME. I use this feature every day when I'm using the mini. As a disabled user, the convenience of being able to sit down when getting off the device and pilot it to a safe place, then lock it remotely is invaluable. When I need it again, I can simply summon it. There are limitations to this feature as the lack of top weight means acceleration is very slow and I often have to turn it to get it to move. Especially on carpet.

5: Stability: To preface, my disability has a MAJOR impact on this part of my review. When moving around, the thing is pretty stable, but it's lack of weight and small tires substantially reduce traction. This means that you've got to be very careful with sharp adjustments like large door thresholds and damaged sidewalks. Being a disabled user, I still use my cane when crossing thresholds or needing to stand still for short periods. Hills and significant lateral inclines are MUCH more difficult on the Mini. The fact that I need my cane and it's small size means, It's also not practical in big crowds. Medium crowds like shopping malls and business networking events are fine, but busy nightclubs and music festivals are a no. Overall, I'm sure able-bodied users will fare much better.

6: Mini vs. Hoverboard: When you remove the rod, the thing is the same size as a large hoverboard. It's also priced in the same general range (~$319 in China and 1k in the US). As much as people call my Big Seg "an old style hoverboard", the Mini gets that misnomer about tenfold. My ankles don't twist voluntarily so I'm incapable of using a hoverboard to make the comparison, but severa I've allowed several of my friends who own the lesser devices use the Mini. Their first question is " where can I get this?". They tell me its far more stable and responsive and that the steering system makes for a totally different and superior experience.
7: Inconspicuous: The Mini is relatively inconspicuous next to a normal Segway. Most of the people I encounter don't even notice the device.

Overall, the Mini is AMAZING. I think the price point and size open the platform up to a much larger customer base. In a word, it's revolutionary. If the company can successfully differentiate itself by leveraging Segway's history of not exploding, this device could eat up a significant portion of hoverboard sales which would amount to millions of units being sold domestically and therefore billions in revenue. With the arrival of the Mini, Kamen's original dream may finally come to fruition.

airdale 03-02-2016 06:09 PM

Great review.....will be interesting how it hold up over the long haul, and if its worth fixing if it needs repair...

Only thing I didnt follow was the control shaft( lean steer) whats different?

Gihgehls 03-03-2016 02:15 PM

Does it handle side-slopes the same way as a segway (where you keep the stick in-line with gravity in order to hold still)?

Philip 03-04-2016 06:40 PM

Roll compensation

Yes, the miniPRO has the same Roll Compensation feature as the Segway Gen 2 and SE models. I've been riding the miniPRO for about 10 weeks now, and I think it is a very, very good little machine.

AaronC 03-07-2016 11:31 AM

I wrote a pretty detailed review of the Ninebot Mini over at the electric unicycle forum if you're interested an opinion of the device from the perspective of an EUC rider: http://forum.electricunicycle.org/to...ot-pro-review/

PeteInLongBeach 03-07-2016 11:20 PM

I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...

Gihgehls 03-08-2016 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach (Post 238986)
I've read these reviews and watched some videos. I don't see any provision for effective emergency stopping or other sudden evasive maneuvers as can be done on a real Segway with a complete leansteer frame. The control shaft at knee level seems relatively precarious to me...

"Relatively" is probably the key word here. Compared to a hoverboard or unicycle, the mini has superior control.

PeteInLongBeach 03-08-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gihgehls (Post 238991)
"Relatively" is probably the key word here. Compared to a hoverboard or unicycle, the mini has superior control.

Oh, absolutely. But I'm so accustomed to the maneuverability and agility of the i2, the mini-pro looks more recreactional than useful as transportation over a variety of surfaces and conditions.

therealzam 03-18-2016 06:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The position of the control rod between the legs and elimination of the handlebars is the best feature of this device. It improves control, maneuverability, and safety exponentially. I've used a customized replacement rod on my i/x2 both SE and not. This setup eliminates the persistent 'Segway shake' which is the biggest issue I've encountered for new users and was an occasional problem for me despite the fact that I use the device as my legs daily.

The design of the control rod actually allows much faster and more graceful evasive maneuvers than using handlebars. The software is also tweaked for the different setup so 'emergency breaking' works just as well as if not better than its larger brother. The size also makes it easy to jump off in an emergency (or so my friends tell me).

That's not to say the Mini control system is perfect or better than an i2 / x2. The rod should be taller and or the pads wider as its highest setting is still too short for my 5ft 10in self (at least in my situation). This makes the connection between user and device less then it is on my other devices with larger 'between the legs' rods.

The other major weaknesses of the device from a maneuverability standpoint are a consequence of its size and weight. The reduced width increases the problems that occur when encountering lateral slopes such as sidewalk driveways. This device and the p133 are roughly the same in this regard. The reduced weight and smaller tires also negatively impact traction. This is really the biggest issue, but the light weight is also the device's greatest strength.

In conclusion, there's a reason why one would spend 8x more for an i2. It's solid as a rock and with my custom control rod (that works much like the Mini) it's practically impossible to fall unless you do something really stupid. It has enough power to climb almost any hill. It can also carry cargo with ease. The larger device is just in a totally different league. But, the Mini also has its strengths: it is based on much more modern and current technology, it weighs 1/4 as much, is small enough to fit in any car, it's more maneuverable, and the price is within reach of almost all Americans. Going forward, the 4 Segway model categories (Mini, NineBot, i/x2 and i3) will compliment one another by each fulfilling a different set of needs. Best of all, this should lead to better pricing and improvements in technology throughout the entire product range.

SegwayUtah 03-20-2016 03:17 PM

Has anyone heard an update on when the new Segway Minipro is going to ship?

US Customs just banned import of non-Segway-brand "Segway-like machines" so I'm hoping that Segway is going to use this opportunity to give the hungry hoverboard market the really awesome (and non-exploding) product it needs.
http://www.segway.com/media/1757/new...4_16_final.pdf

I keep checking Amazon for the new unit to appear...

johnnywheels 03-25-2016 01:53 PM

Well hopefully they lift the ban soon...I'll have to take a look into it

Civicsman 03-25-2016 11:09 PM

The customs ban is on NON-Segway products. It's based on an intellectual property violation complaint filed by Segway against all the companies violating their patents.

I seriously doubt the ban will be lifted, at least until the Segway patents expire in a few years.

snaffah 03-26-2016 10:34 AM

Ninebot mini pro's

I expect to have several of these in stock next week if anyone is interested in buying one. I'll have to confirm the price early next week, still not sure yet.

lilnyc 03-26-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SegwayUtah (Post 239060)
Has anyone heard an update on when the new Segway Minipro is going to ship?

US Customs just banned import of non-Segway-brand "Segway-like machines" so I'm hoping that Segway is going to use this opportunity to give the hungry hoverboard market the really awesome (and non-exploding) product it needs.
http://www.segway.com/media/1757/new...4_16_final.pdf

I keep checking Amazon for the new unit to appear...

That's good to know.

With the MiniPro looking like a hoverboard to those unfamiliar with it, I fear being penalized if I buy one.

I tried the Mini (no the Pro) a while ago. As an i2 owner, I feel more secure with the lean steer on unpredictable pavements and with obstacles in NYC. But I haven't used my Segway in years, and am interested in newer options by Segway/Ninebot.

lilnyc 05-22-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energetic (Post 238842)

I just saw a Facebook post stating that it'll be available June 1st on Amazon and July 1st through retailers.

Link: http://www.segwayminipro.com/

Jendrik 05-26-2016 04:36 PM

Not yet but I only will try it with a helmet because this thing does not have redundancy or nearly as much safety features than a Segway.
It is really dangerous "China-copy-stuff".

Quote:

Originally Posted by circos (Post 238829)
Hi Guys!

airdale 05-26-2016 07:20 PM

Does the new Inc. have you sign a waver now?

I bought mine out of state and learned at a non authorized tour company....

They were quite pushy for me to sign a waver that I knew how to ride...

With the new line out, I would think there even more dangerous?

dl1955 05-29-2016 12:06 PM

Does anyone know the weight limit of the Mini Pro?

Just found the limit. 220lb.

SegwayUtah 06-01-2016 01:28 PM

It appears that the Segway Mini Pro is now officially available for pre-order at Amazon.com.

$999. Ships on June 29 2016. Black and white color options.

https://www.amazon.com/Segway-miniPR...dp/B019Z6HS86/

SegwayUtah 06-01-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl1955 (Post 239386)
Does anyone know the weight limit of the Mini Pro?

Just found the limit. 220lb.

According to the Amazon page, it looks like Segway's recommended max weight is 185 lbs.
"accommodate riders of up to 185 lbs"

The 220 lbs figure could be the absolute maximum?

SegNerd 06-02-2016 04:23 PM

Wow, I didn't realize the weight limit was so low, but after checking, I found the 185 lb figure mentioned in the manual and on the official web site in addition to the Amazon posting. Considering that's not even enough for the average American male, and I'm a little, shall we say, "above average," I may have just lost interest in this product. :confused:

Even the cheapo hoverboard I bought has a higher weight limit.

BenBethel 06-02-2016 04:32 PM

Just ordered 2 - what's the difference between Amazon and ebay?

I'm a former owner of 4 Segways over the years... but that was years and years ago. I always said the original should have been under $2K, then inching closer to $1K in order to drive mass adoption, plus there should have been built-in lighting, a retractable lock, and a retractable power cord. This doesn't hit all of those items, but I'm so excited that the pricing is down to $999, so I ordered 2 yesterday and look forward to having them arrive in a month or so!

With that said, there are a decent number of listings on ebay for units that are showing up for $499 and up... what's the difference between these two units? They look similar (the wheels/tires are slightly different) so I'm not too sure. Wanting the 'latest and greatest', I'm going for the Amazon ones and will stick with them.

The lower-priced units that are similar (even controlled with the same app) give me hope that we'll be seeing these units get closer and closer to $500 one day... maybe not this year, but I bet by November 2017, especially as battery prices are dropping steadily.

Am glad to be back in the Segway world! I really missed my Segs, worked hard to get them adopted and accepted here in Arizona, and fondly remember the days of riding 3 miles to work, right into the office building, then into the elevator right to my cubicle. Then, after buying a hotel I would still ride them to work all the time. I was a version 1.0 turbo-nerd.

With this newer Ninebot Mini, I'm so glad to see the marketing shifted to a more radically acceptable marketing model... I'd like to see more visual statements for disabled individuals, as I think the community of people living with disabilities can really be the shot needed for widespread adoption and acceptance. Sure, anyone can ride an electric wheelchair anywhere but most people don't want to unless they need to.... but this is different... but I'd hate for the previous anti-Segway and current anti-hoverboard fear-filled zealots to be up in arms over something that's truly a wonderful product that solves real-world problems.

Take care everyone, it's great to be back!!!
Ben

DCTenor1 06-08-2016 01:36 PM

The miniPRO has wooed me back

Hi everyone - another long-time SegwayChat member here, although I haven't posted in a while. I purchased my i2 in 2007 to get around DC, but sold it back to the dealer in 2012 after I moved outside the city limits and it just became too inconvenient to use it to get into the city.

I've since played around with a lot of other transportation technologies, including Bionx pedal-assist on my bike (love!), the OneWheel (really really fun but not super practical as a commuting tool), and those generic "hoverboards" out of China (the ones that like to explode).

I sold my tiny little hoverboard because although it was fun to use inside, the mechanism by which you control it just didn't work well at high speed - aka anything over about 6 mph. Since the two foot pedals operated independently, it gave great maneuverability at low speed - witness all the celebrity dance videos -but at high speed it was incredibly difficult to keep equal pressure on both pedals. The end result was that the device would tend to spin out of control at high speeds, bucking you off.

I always felt this design flaw could be easily fixed with a simple firmware update: If, as the device started moving faster, the footpads became less sensitive to pressure, it would have become usable at high speed. Alas, because it wasn't - and because I was basically only using it to goof off inside - I sold it to a buddy and longed for something better to come along.

That's why, for the first time in years, I'm actually considering picking up a Segway again. I've moved back into the city, and my commute would be about 5 miles. I would never spend money on a new Segway i2 -- it's just too expensive, and the tech is so outdated. The Ninebot Elite is pretty neat, a good update to the i2, but it's still pretty expensive. So I'm really looking forward to the Mini Pro, which solves the problems of the hoverboard. Lean steer is definitely the way to go. I'm a little wary about the size of the tires; 10 inches compared to the i2's 19 inches -- I worry about traction and stability and the ability to go over the kinds of bumps and cracks you find on your typical city sidewalk. But I'm intrigued enough - and optimistic enough - to pre-order one for $999 on Amazon.

If it doesn't live up to the hype, I'll return it. But I hope I don't have to.

It's good to be back!

SegNerd 06-09-2016 11:55 AM

The pre-order is live on Amazon.

For the time being, I personally just can't justify the cost, but I'd like to hear about others' experiences once it starts shipping.

BenBethel 06-09-2016 03:37 PM

Only a few more weeks...

Looks like my expected arrival date is 7/6 for my two units. I'm betting about $100 of the cost is in shipping, another $50 or so in all the packaging and packing materials and printed materials. I'm content with the price, but am confused at what's different between the ebay models for about 1/2 the cost and this model. Still, with Amazon I'll have 30 days to see if this is a good product or not and can return within that time frame if I don't think they're quality products. Hopefully this will see wider adoption - we just have some PR work to do in order to differentiate them from the fire risks associated with hoverboards...

Thanks/Ben

SegNerd 06-09-2016 04:12 PM

I didn't mean I think it's too expensive... I just need to focus on other financial priorities right now.

lilnyc 06-10-2016 03:19 PM

Concerned But Purchased

DCTenor1 - Reading your post was like reading my own story, almost.

I bought a used 2008 Segway i2. One battery died about 2 years ago, and I couldn't reason spending $1K to replace it since I haven't used it.

I love my Segway, but I used to have a job that allowed it in the bike room. My current job doesn't.

I have been gliding along on the i2 when the sidewalk suddenly got uncomfortably crowded. Twice, it either wouldn't start or wouldn't turn off. So I really want something that I can just pick up or stroll alongside me.

After pondering about the MiniPro, I called Segway to basically ask them to tell me why I should buy it from Amazon vs. a local dealer. They made it clear that the discounted price was temporary and the release would be weeks ahead of local dealers. 'Nuff said. I pre-ordered.
While excited, I am concerned about it being mistaken for a hoverboard (like BenBethel mentioned), so I am buying it knowing that it may end up being just a toy rather than transportation. We'll see.

This new safety certification may get things moving.

lilnyc 06-12-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circos (Post 238829)
Hi Guys!

I found this extensive review.

The author is comparing it to hoverboards, and refers to it by various names, but it's more detailed than other reviews I've seen.

He also gives a brief background on Ninebot among other useful tidbits.

Estway_Tech 06-13-2016 12:23 PM

Did it update from the hoverboard?
How much would it cost to get one? Can't wait to get one and play around.:cool:

Megalow 06-13-2016 02:56 PM

I have xiaomi nine:thumbsup:bot and I love it

vip1980 06-15-2016 06:09 AM

bigger handlebar

i have made this by myself, works much better

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaom...b-b47f7ded9ef9

this one is cheaper

http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xia...p-1050361.html

terryp 06-15-2016 07:08 PM

I see no mention of having redundant systems. You'd think they'd tout that if it did.

SegwayUtah 06-17-2016 07:12 PM

CNET just posted a "first look" video review, from a Segway novice's perspective.
http://www.cnet.com/videos/segways-h...-lands-in-usa/

DCTenor1 06-21-2016 01:35 AM

That CNET reviewer is clearly awful at Segways and hoverboards. All the other videos I've seen online of the Ninebot mini pro show an extremely capable device that's easy to use.

I do worry it won't be nearly as robust as my i2 was. I don't expect it to be, at the small size. But I hope it's good enough.

SegwayUtah 06-22-2016 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCTenor1 (Post 239518)
I do worry it won't be nearly as robust as my i2 was. I don't expect it to be, at the small size. But I hope it's good enough.

I just watched Mashable's unboxing.

http://mashable.com/2016/06/21/segway-minipro-review/

The whole way this machine is packaged makes this feel a lot more like a year-2016 gadget (almost like it's designed as hardware that works with your smartphone).

The biggest thing I got out of the video, though, is that this machine seems like it is really well-built like any other Segway. And it quite a bit larger and heavier than some of the hoverboards.

Also: the self-balancing software has gotten some upgrades (or is a different set of algorithms created by Ninebot). Watch when the reviewer lifts the machine (which is balancing by itself) off the table and puts it on the ground, and vice-versa. A p-series or i-series machine would freak out a bit, spinning up its wheels and going into safety shutdown mode...but the MiniPRO understands what is going on and just keeps self-balancing. Very cool.

I can't wait to see/ride one in person. This can't get quite as far quite as quickly as an i2, can't handle the bigger bumps or steeper inclines or heavier/taller passengers. And it can't carry cargo. But for most people, this is definitely a really cool option (especially at $999).

SegwayUtah 06-25-2016 01:18 PM

Not sure if this was already posted, but Segway has uploaded the new miniPro safety video. It's very much a Segway corporate-produced video ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iiauve-F2Y

The "Ninebot by Segway" branding is quite a mouthful. They refer to it as the "MiniPro" which I think is probably how we'll all end up referring to it. I'm guessing that "Ninebot by Segway" is the new consumer branding, to differentiate $1,000 self-balancing scooters from $5,000+ business-class machines. And also because Segway is such a strong brand in the USA (whereas Ninebot is pretty unknown to the US population).

I'm also guessing that if Segway sells millions of $1,000 machines that they'll simplify the brand down to "Ninebot" or "Segway". :)

Drumonron 06-25-2016 11:55 PM

New customer

So, Amazon introduced me and I researched and have ordered a Black Minipro. Never owned a "Hoverboard" and I do not consider this to be one. I owned an electric scooter and had so much fun years ago. It's long been dead and I had an itch for another electric personal transport and well, after the kick by Amazon, I went all in.