SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Community Feedback and Support (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Why we changed domains (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=31560)

gbrandwood 12-08-2012 07:41 AM

The email to members is a good idea. They have a preference to say whether they can be contacted so it shouldn't really upset anyone.

JohnG 12-09-2012 10:39 AM

Email sent.

lb4paws 12-09-2012 11:37 AM

I appreciated receiving your email. Thank you.

KSagal 12-09-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 227537)
Email sent.

Thank you. Makes the best sense to me.

Hopefully, a flock of folks will come over to at least show enough activity to get the new location easier to find in the search engines. I do not know how the search engines work that much, but suspect that more activity is far better than less activity in getting their attention.

Pkelley 12-09-2012 01:46 PM

Wow I am glad the forum did not die. I don't post a lot but I read almost every day.

SegNerd 12-09-2012 03:50 PM

I appreciated the e-mail. I noticed the forum disappeared and have been looking for it for about a week, with no idea where it went. Search engines were no help, at least not yet. I thought it was gone.

Even if I didn't want to participate anymore, it's not like ignoring one e-mail would be that hard. What annoys me is repeated unwanted spammers, which this is not.

Bob.Kerns 12-10-2012 12:55 AM

And -- Segwaychat.com now works again, too, so we're in a better state than we were before, if we ignore the break in continuity.

Thanks for fixing it, John & Frank, and thanks for your work providing it! And, of course, for the out-of-pocket expenses expended!

eJM 12-10-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns (Post 227559)
And -- Segwaychat.com now works again, too, so we're in a better state than we were before, if we ignore the break in continuity.

And now segwaychat.org should have an .htaccess permanent redirect to take people right to segwaychat.com - and create a notice there to tell people to change their Favorites/Bookmarks to reflect the change.

I don't understand the lax and careless administrative treatment this domain and community receives.

Jim

bud01234 12-10-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG (Post 227520)
You may have noticed we changed domains from .com to .org

This was done simply because Frank still has sole access to the .com domain and didn't get the notice to renew it (because it went to an old email address he no longer uses). Although it may still be renewed, in the meantime, I thought it best to move to a domain where renewal won't be an issue year to year.

Update your bookmarks. Thanks!

John

Hi john
If humanly possible, please bring back the .com url! I have a firewall from hell here at work that required all kinds of hoop jumping to get IT det to give me access to segchat .com. Nw I'm bared from the new .org and can only access from my blackberry. If we need to take up a collection ill be happy to donate. Thx. Bud

JohnG 12-10-2012 12:16 PM

Hey Jim, thanks for your thoughtful support of our volunteer efforts here! Frank hasn't been involved in the community for more than 5 or 6 years. So this was just something we forgot about (since he's moved on, and the domain wasn't in my account).

We're not bringing back the .com (only redirecting it) because we already made all the changes to move it over to .org. Sorry.

John