SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Given a Segway (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35537)

eucarmy 02-23-2018 10:45 PM

Given a Segway

I have had what I HOPE to be the good fortune of being given a Segway I2. From what I was told, this thing has super low mileage on it. If I have the story straight, it was a gift from a pro-QB to his lineman years ago. One of the lineman worked out with a trainer whom he gave it to since he didn't want it. Supposedly the trainer used it a couple times at best and it has sat in a garage ever since. The batteries are dead as dead can be, showing zero voltage across all pins. The other issue is the Infokey is missing although the person that gave it to me is going to look for it.

I am hoping to be able revive this thing but I'm not going to drop 2K into it to do so. I am hoping to snag some used, but decent battery packs somewhere. I also am trying to determine if this is an I2 or I2SE. I am uploading pictures I have to see if someone can help me figure it out as well as pics of my battery packs.

Well I guess I can't upload images until I get 5 posts.... darn.

Don M 02-24-2018 12:39 PM

Welcome to Segway Chat!

You can tell the age of your batteries from the serial number - The 5th and 6th numbers after the 'C' are the year they were manufactured. You may be able to determine if it's an I2 or an SE from the age of the batteries

DFW Seg sells rebuilt InfoKeys on eBay programmed to your machine for $135 with free shipping. This is quite a deal as used Keys frequently sell for $150 or so and then there's usually a $30 to $35 fee for programming them. New InfoKeys are $200 plus programming fee

Don

eucarmy 02-24-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 242701)
Welcome to Segway Chat!

You can tell the age of your batteries from the serial number - The 5th and 6th numbers after the 'C' are the year they were manufactured. You may be able to determine if it's an I2 or an SE from the age of the batteries

DFW Seg sells rebuilt InfoKeys on eBay programmed to your machine for $135 with free shipping. This is quite a deal as used Keys frequently sell for $150 or so and then there's usually a $30 to $35 fee for programming them. New InfoKeys are $200 plus programming fee

Don

Thanks for the info Don, based on that the batteries have a 2011 manufacture date which I assume means it should be an SE? Once I get 5 posts I will upload the pics I have.

I am hoping to be able to find/use the original Infokey but it's good to know I have an option if I don't.

dmurphy 02-24-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242699)
I have had what I HOPE to be the good fortune of being given a Segway I2. From what I was told, this thing has super low mileage on it. If I have the story straight, it was a gift from a pro-QB to his lineman years ago. One of the lineman worked out with a trainer whom he gave it to since he didn't want it. Supposedly the trainer used it a couple times at best and it has sat in a garage ever since. The batteries are dead as dead can be, showing zero voltage across all pins. The other issue is the Infokey is missing although the person that gave it to me is going to look for it.

I am hoping to be able revive this thing but I'm not going to drop 2K into it to do so. I am hoping to snag some used, but decent battery packs somewhere. I also am trying to determine if this is an I2 or I2SE. I am uploading pictures I have to see if someone can help me figure it out as well as pics of my battery packs.

Well I guess I can't upload images until I get 5 posts.... darn.

Hi and welcome! I'm also a recent acquiree so I feel your pain trying to get all the small stuff sorted out.

Now -- as for telling whether it's an i2 or i2 SE, here's the easiest way. Real simple -- the i2 has a "hump" on the base, where the i2 SE is a lot flatter. check these two images to see what I mean ...

i2 - https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-GbBGP4t-M.jpg
i2 SE - https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-k34MnG8-M.jpg

Good luck with the unit - Don M has a great deal for a set of batteries, and to be honest, the ones you have may (or may not) be recoverable. We have some folks here at Segwaychat (MTO Battery in particular) who are experts with these things. If they're really just drained down and haven't been ridden much at all, I'm going to guess the likelihood is that they may be salvageable -- but Jason @ MTO Battery is your expert there.

plumber802 02-24-2018 02:49 PM

Congrats eucarmy on the acquisition of your new to you Segway and welcome to the forum. Hoping you can quickly get the battery/infokey issues resolved.

eucarmy 02-24-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmurphy (Post 242706)
Hi and welcome! I'm also a recent acquiree so I feel your pain trying to get all the small stuff sorted out.

Now -- as for telling whether it's an i2 or i2 SE, here's the easiest way. Real simple -- the i2 has a "hump" on the base, where the i2 SE is a lot flatter. check these two images to see what I mean ...

i2 - https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-GbBGP4t-M.jpg
i2 SE - https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-k34MnG8-M.jpg

Good luck with the unit - Don M has a great deal for a set of batteries, and to be honest, the ones you have may (or may not) be recoverable. We have some folks here at Segwaychat (MTO Battery in particular) who are experts with these things. If they're really just drained down and haven't been ridden much at all, I'm going to guess the likelihood is that they may be salvageable -- but Jason @ MTO Battery is your expert there.

Ah ok thanks that picture confirms my unit is just an I2! Yea I measured voltage on the battery pins and read absolutely zero so I'm sure they are toast. I saw Don's post, I think that may be a good start.

eucarmy 02-24-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumber802 (Post 242708)
Congrats eucarmy on the acquisition of your new to you Segway and welcome to the forum. Hoping you can quickly get the battery/infokey issues resolved.

Thanks man, yep like I mentioned elsewhere, I am a Segway MiniPro and electric unicycle veteran so I am hopeful I can get this sucker working as it really is the grandfather of the newer stuff.

eucarmy 02-24-2018 05:44 PM

Ok hopefully NOW I can post the pics of my "free" Segway

http://blog.duf.net/wp-content/uploa...2/IMG_0690.jpg
http://blog.duf.net/wp-content/uploa...2/IMG_0691.jpg
http://blog.duf.net/wp-content/uploa...2/IMG_0692.jpg
http://blog.duf.net/wp-content/uploa...2/IMG_0693.jpg

Don M 02-24-2018 06:40 PM

Your batteries are original for sure - A perfectly matched set of 2011's, S/N 121 and 122

It looks like your machine is a 2014 - Nice catch! That would have sold for ~ $1500 or so even with no batteries or InfoKey

Vince (the guy from DFW Seg) is a great guy to do business with. He is repairing and reprogramming one of my spare InfoKeys right now. PM me if you need his phone number to call or text him

Don

eucarmy 02-24-2018 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 242715)
Your batteries are original for sure - A perfectly matched set of 2011's, S/N 121 and 122

It looks like your machine is a 2014 - Nice catch! That would have sold for ~ $1500 or so even with no batteries or InfoKey

Vince (the guy from DFW Seg) is a great guy to do business with. He is repairing and reprogramming one of my spare InfoKeys right now. PM me if you need his phone number to call or text him

Don

Hmmm is it odd that a 2014 machine would have 2011 batteries? And were they still make i2's in 2014?

Don M 02-24-2018 07:19 PM

I *think* in 2014, you could have either an I2 or an SE - They announced the SE version in the spring of that year. One of the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Maybe . . . . yours is a 2011 or 2012 and the 'Model 2014' in your photo means something else

Don

dmurphy 02-25-2018 02:58 AM

Awesome photos! The really amazing thing is how spectacularly clean this thing is. It’s basically brand new!

Seriously, get MTO Battery’s opinion on those batteries. They’ve discharged but given the condition of everything, likely have almost no charging cycles on them. He may be able to revive them. If not, worst case, Don M’s batteries are a great start.

Keep us updated! I’m hoping that Infokey pops up soon for you. That really is a beautiful Segway - you’ve scored big time!

dmurphy 02-25-2018 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 242718)
I *think* in 2014, you could have either an I2 or an SE - They announced the SE version in the spring of that year. One of the experts here will correct me if I'm wrong :)

Maybe . . . . yours is a 2011 or 2012 and the 'Model 2014' in your photo means something else

Don

Most likely a 2011 or 2012. Model 2014xxx is just the model number.

For the serial number, lift up the back of the right foot mat. The serial number sticker is on the back “lip” under the mat. You’ll see it when you lift it up.

eucarmy 02-25-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmurphy (Post 242721)
Awesome photos! The really amazing thing is how spectacularly clean this thing is. It’s basically brand new!

Seriously, get MTO Battery’s opinion on those batteries. They’ve discharged but given the condition of everything, likely have almost no charging cycles on them. He may be able to revive them. If not, worst case, Don M’s batteries are a great start.

Keep us updated! I’m hoping that Infokey pops up soon for you. That really is a beautiful Segway - you’ve scored big time!

Yea I just paid Don for his used set. I guess I could send the original set to MTO but I would be amazed if they could revive them. I am quite interested to get it turned on to see the mileage! It does appear to be hardly used for sure.

Don M 02-25-2018 04:07 PM

I would check with MTO & see what they say - Usually, if the batteries are too deeply discharged for the machine to recharge them they can be 'rejuvenated' *if* the voltage is low . . . . like 20 or 30 volts, but if they have been sitting at Zero volts for months and months, I think they'll tell you that the prognosis isn't very good. They may be able to get them back to where they will accept a charge, but they'll never be anything like they used to be

Don

eucarmy 02-28-2018 07:35 PM

I just got the batteries from Don. I installed them and was glad to see my two red charge lights are now green. :) Just have to get the Infokey....
http://blog.duf.net/wp-content/uploa...2/IMG_0704.jpg

dmurphy 02-28-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242731)
I just got the batteries from Don. I installed them and was glad to see my two red charge lights are now green. :) Just have to get the Infokey....

That’s fantastic!! They should start blinking once the batts are fully charged/topped off. Now all you need is an Infokey and you’re off to the races.

I’m excited for you!!

— Dennis

eucarmy 03-02-2018 04:39 PM

Unfortunately the prior owner can not find the Infokey so I just called Vince. He is going to hook me up with a brand new key.

plumber802 03-03-2018 08:53 AM

I love this thread.The anticipation is killin' me!

eucarmy 03-03-2018 09:05 AM

Haha, me too. I contacted Vince from Texas Segway and he got me hooked up with a brand new InfoKey FAST. It's already programmed and in the mail. I should have it early next week. I posted a video on my channel that includes stuff on the I2. If you just want the I2 part it starts about 15:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIb9Fqsdmsc

I'm not sure how you post a YouTube link in here correctly, it looks like the link is the blank line? Here is the link in plain text.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIb9Fqsdmsc

dmurphy 03-03-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242740)
Haha, me too. I contacted Vince from Texas Segway and he got me hooked up with a brand new InfoKey FAST. It's already programmed and in the mail. I should have it early next week.

It's killing me too!! I'm going to have to live vicariously through you for a while ... I blew out my knee Friday night - just twisted my knee and fell the wrong way. Can't put any weight on it for 4 weeks and then we'll see how much work after that.... so once that Infokey shows up, I'm going to have to live through the many videos I know you're about to post!

Welcome to the big leagues. The small transports are fun, but nothing beats a "full up" Segway. :)

plumber802 03-03-2018 06:07 PM

I watched your youtube video and subscribed to your channel.Had to find it via your website. Looks like you have some great bike paths in your neck of the woods.

eucarmy 03-04-2018 05:42 PM

Here is my latest post colonoscopy i2 update video!

youtu.be/U1VkOb9-0wY

dmurphy 03-05-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242749)
Here is my latest post colonoscopy i2 update video!

youtu.be/U1VkOb9-0wY

👍👍👍

Can’t wait for your first video from the i2!

Don M 03-05-2018 05:31 PM

Just got my rebuilt InfoKey back from Vince - $75 to replace a spring on the power button and have it reprogrammed to work on the 'new' (to me) white I2 I bought a couple weeks ago for $1500

It's a 2007 model (I knew that) but what I didn't know is . . . . it only has 79 miles on it! I could have guessed that I suppose because the tires look like brand new. Every one of those miles was done in the 'turtle beginner mode'. Now that I finally have a fully functional InfoKey, I was able to get it out of the turtle mode

79 miles in 10 or 11 years! - Gotta be some sort of record

Don

plumber802 03-05-2018 05:53 PM

Glad you are feeling better after the colonoscopy/flu. I'm impressed with your mastery of the EUC. Looks like you were comfortably cruising at a good pace. How fast were you going?

Bernie 03-06-2018 01:22 PM

Don, That's a pretty good record.

A year and a half ago I bought an I2 with a build date of Sept, 2006 at a yard sale for $150.00. Couldn't believe it! It looked like it hadn't been used for many years. The tires were flat and it was covered in multi layers of dust and dirt. The tires still had not worn off those little rubber nubby things (a hint that maybe it didn't have much use) and they had both Info keys. The seller said it just needed new batteries. I took a chance and bought it. Took to my local Segway dealer to check it out. It worked perfectly! The best part is, it only had 33 miles on it!!! Glad I took a chance on it.

Bernie

eucarmy 03-06-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumber802 (Post 242755)
Glad you are feeling better after the colonoscopy/flu. I'm impressed with your mastery of the EUC. Looks like you were comfortably cruising at a good pace. How fast were you going?

I've gone 28-29 mph on an EUC :)

eucarmy 03-06-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie (Post 242762)
Don, That's a pretty good record.

A year and a half ago I bought an I2 with a build date of Sept, 2006 at a yard sale for $150.00. Couldn't believe it! It looked like it hadn't been used for many years. The tires were flat and it was covered in multi layers of dust and dirt. The tires still had not worn off those little rubber nubby things (a hint that maybe it didn't have much use) and they had both Info keys. The seller said it just needed new batteries. I took a chance and bought it. Took to my local Segway dealer to check it out. It worked perfectly! The best part is, it only had 33 miles on it!!! Glad I took a chance on it.

Bernie

Well I got the key today and the unit fired right up. The odometer says........24 miles. Wow. Look for a video soon with initial feedback, but this thing is a different kind of fun. :)

Bernie 03-06-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242764)
Well I got the key today and the unit fired right up. The odometer says........24 miles. Wow. Look for a video soon with initial feedback, but this thing is a different kind of fun. :)

Wow! That is fantastic!

eucarmy 03-06-2018 11:06 PM

Just a very brief recap of my first ride...

Segway i2 is ALIVE

dmurphy 03-07-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eucarmy (Post 242766)
Just a very brief recap of my first ride...

Segway i2 is ALIVE

Great video! Glad you figured out how to get it out of turtle mode. Now the fun can begin. :-)

As for the Infokey attachment; there’s a trim ring that actually screws on the back of the Infokey that’d slot into the holder on the leansteer frame. I’m sure Vince can set you up with it - it’s a fairly cheap part and commonly replaced due to breakage.

Enjoy it - as you said, it’s the granddaddy of all the other balancing cycles. One thing I’m always impressed with is the thought and build quality that went into the Segway. It’s a true engineer’s dream - you can tell right away that marketing and finance didn’t get any input here - no cut corners anywhere. It’s unbelievably well built.

Enjoy - glide on!!

plumber802 03-07-2018 08:38 AM

Wow Duff!!! Great to see that you got the I2 going. I'm sure that it comes down to rider preference,but in the manual Segway recommends the Leansteer height be adjusted to just above the elbow.Amazing that you had the Segway given to you with only 24 miles! Like winning the lottery.

Don M 03-07-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmurphy (Post 242769)
As for the Infokey attachment; there’s a trim ring that actually screws on the back of the Infokey that’d slot into the holder on the leansteer frame. I’m sure Vince can set you up with it - it’s a fairly cheap part and commonly replaced due to breakage.

The best way to mount the InfoKey is to use this made in Germany, cast, machined aluminum protector

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infokey-Pro...YAAOSwoBtW2WIq

I have these on all 3 of our I2's. No drilling - It mounts using the same screw the plastic piece of crap that came on the Seg uses. No matter how hard a fall you take, your InfoKey will never budge or be damaged.
Quote:

It’s a true engineer’s dream - you can tell right away that marketing and finance didn’t get any input here - no cut corners anywhere. It’s unbelievably well built.
Well, maybe they could have, should have rethought the $200 InfoKey mount - It's really expensive when you lose one! The German piece is what should have come on the Seg from the factory. You've gotta admit, the flimsy plastic mount is really out of place with the overall quality of the machine

Don

Bernie 03-07-2018 06:45 PM

In my opinion the only corner cut was not having an on/off switch for the info key radio.

dmurphy 03-07-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 242774)
The best way to mount the InfoKey is to use this made in Germany, cast, machined aluminum protector

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infokey-Pro...YAAOSwoBtW2WIq

I have these on all 3 of our I2's. No drilling - It mounts using the same screw the plastic piece of crap that came on the Seg uses. No matter how hard a fall you take, your InfoKey will never budge or be damaged. Well, maybe they could have, should have rethought the $200 InfoKey mount - It's really expensive when you lose one! The German piece is what should have come on the Seg from the factory. You've gotta admit, the flimsy plastic mount is really out of place with the overall quality of the machine

Don

You are - of course - 100% right. Why they cheaped out on the mount, I’ll never understand! Even the leather case is nicely done. It’s just totally out of character for the machine.

If it were me, I’d say the Autostand and the German key holder are the two must-haves that should’ve come from the factory.

Quick question on the holder - I have the silicone cover on my Infokey. Do you know if it fits in this mount with the cover on, or would I need to remove it?

Don M 03-08-2018 11:33 AM

I'm not sure - I've never seen the silicone cover

You do have to remove the mount adapter from the back of the InfoKey for it to fit in the aluminum mount - Twist it 1/4 turn and it comes off

A spring loaded snap pin holds the Key in the mount. Press the Key in and it can't come out until you pull the ring to release the pin. The Key is recessed into the housing far enough that it's protected on all sides and the cutouts in the side allow you easy access to all 4 buttons

You might decide that you don't need the silicone cover once you see how the mount protects the key

I've got an excellent picture I'm trying to upload, but the forum software insists "This is not a valid image file" - Once I get that sorted out, I'll post it here

Don

KSagal 03-08-2018 06:53 PM

I have the same German mount on my segway, and it is by far the way to go. I have had it for years, and never had a problem with it.

eucarmy 03-11-2018 07:56 PM

Finally got the I2 on the road!

Don M 03-12-2018 11:36 AM

I would agree that the 'drive train noise' on your I2 is a good bit louder than any of our three - We have an 80 mile machine, another with 900 miles and the one I ride most often has about 2300 miles. All of them are quieter than yours

As to the range on those old batteries - 5 bars left after 7 miles isn't too bad, considering you did most of the ride at or very near top speed. Like any other battery powered device, it will get better 'mileage' at slower speeds. You ride much differently than we do - Maybe only 10 or 15% of our miles are done at top speed

You do have to keep a close eye on the width of the machine - I would venture to guess than 95% or more of the tumbles taken off Segways are caused when one wheel encounters something which impedes it's ability to turn like it wants to. The machine can't balance unless it's able to do what it needs to do with both wheels. Not something you have a problem with so much riding a unicycle I would imagine

Glad you got it up and running - Love your videos! Are you using some sort of steady-cam device?

Don