SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Santa Monica considering banning Segways (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36002)

dave 09-18-2018 02:39 PM

Santa Monica considering banning Segways

I just noticed in an article about Santa Monica's setting up license programs with companies that operate dock less electric scooter rental programs on sidewalks, parks, and other city owned property. These include Bird, LimeBike, Jump (owned by Uber), and Lyft scooter companies.

The article goes into great detail about the scooters, license fees, etc. At the end of the article is that there will also be a ban on operating mobility devices on bike paths, sidewalks, and parks.

I then found the following on the Santa Monica website: Note that "Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device" is a legal term referring to a Segway, so they don't have to use a particular brand name.

From the Santa Monica City Council meeting of 08/28/2018:

7.E. Introduction and First Reading of an Ordinance amending Sections 3.12, 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code to Clarify Traffic Regulations Pertaining to the Operation of Electric Bicycle, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices, Electrically Motorized Boards, Low Speed Vehicles, and Motorized Scooters - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council introduce for first reading the attached ordinance amending Santa Monica Municipal Code Chapter 3.12, and Sections 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 to clarify traffic regulations pertaining to the operation of electric bicycles, electric personal mobility devices, electrically motorized boards, low speed vehicles and motorized scooters.

ACTION: Introduced for first reading.

8. STAFF ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS

8.A. Use of Public Property Fees for Shared Mobility Devices - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council adopt a Resolution establishing a Shared
Mobility Use of Public Right of Way fee (Attachment A).

I could not find "Attachment A" on the website.

MuttonChops 09-19-2018 01:47 PM

Found More Info

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 243559)

7.E. Introduction and First Reading of an Ordinance amending Sections 3.12, 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 of the Santa Monica Municipal Code to Clarify Traffic Regulations Pertaining to the Operation of Electric Bicycle, Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices, Electrically Motorized Boards, Low Speed Vehicles, and Motorized Scooters - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

My web-search found additional information including the meeting attachments.

Changes are being requested by the Police as current Code is not clear and the growth of e-bike & e-scooter sharing business is getting out of control. Unfortunately Segways are presently included in all restrictions . . . Council could exclude SEGs in the final laws . . .

For complete meeting materials try:
http:////santamonicacityca.iqm2.com/...59&Inline=True

The possible fees are for the Sharing Businesses.

Attached are Police overview of reasons & possible changes, also some of the public letters.

Suggest you write/contact the Council.

= = =
i2 Gliding 11,500+ Miles :)

Steve807 11-11-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 243559)
I just noticed in an article about Santa Monica's setting up license programs with companies that operate dock less electric scooter rental programs on sidewalks, parks, and other city owned property. These include Bird, LimeBike, Jump (owned by Uber), and Lyft scooter companies.

The article goes into great detail about the scooters, license fees, etc. At the end of the article is that there will also be a ban on operating mobility devices on bike paths, sidewalks, and parks.

I then found the following on the Santa Monica website: Note that "Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Device" is a legal term referring to a Segway, so they don't have to use a particular brand name.

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council introduce for first reading the attached ordinance amending Santa Monica Municipal Code Chapter 3.12, and Sections 4.55.065, and 10.08.460 to clarify traffic regulations pertaining to the operation of electric bicycles, electric personal mobility devices, electrically motorized boards, low speed vehicles and motorized scooters.

ACTION: Introduced for first reading.

8. STAFF ADMINISTRATIVE ITEMS

8.A. Use of Public Property Fees for Shared Mobility Devices - Item 7.E and 8.A to be heard concurrently

Recommended Action

Staff recommends that the City Council adopt a Resolution establishing a Shared
Mobility Use of Public Right of Way fee (Attachment A).

I just saw this article. There use to be a Segway dealer in Santa Monica. The last time I was in the area was a little over two years ago. Is the Segway dealer gone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

electroshock735 11-15-2018 12:50 PM

Ive just returned from a trip to Santa Monica and compared to many of the other times I have been out there I noticed only two people on Segways. They're usually everywhere. I assume this is something to do with the sudden growth in use of the many electric scooters out thre