SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Science and Technology (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   William Shatner on a Segway - kindof (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=26552)

gbrandwood 09-29-2011 04:37 PM

William Shatner on a Segway - kindof

Photo 1 shows WS on a Segway... kindof. Probably for insurance reasons he isn't actually on a Segway - take a look at photo 2. He's on a Segway rig.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/05/shat...norary-degree/

Now, is it just me, or does it look like the LSF is backwards but the handlebar or upper portion is the correct way around?

Tx-Rider 09-29-2011 04:41 PM

To bad he wasn't really on a Segway...
Oh well.

And yes the LSF looks backwards.

goldwing_midland_tx 09-29-2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 217023)
Now, is it just me, or does it look like the LSF is backwards but the handlebar or upper portion is the correct way around?

I agree it does appear to be backwards on the lower part since the knob is on the front.

KSagal 09-29-2011 09:36 PM

I understand that the statement "for insurance reasons" they may do lots of things is a reality of our times, but it makes no sense to me.

I think it very well may be that the mobility impaired and senior citizens are the single largest demographic on segways today.

For me, that rig in the 2nd photo does not seem at all safer than a segway to a senior citizen.

Bob.Kerns 09-30-2011 12:47 AM

I'd say maybe it's remote controlled, so he just has to hang on and not act or ride or anything -- but then I'd expect it to be in front of a bluescreen.

I'm baffled.

Civicsman 09-30-2011 02:55 PM

You're thinking about this from the Segway perspective, but the answer is all about Hollywood.

It is very clearly a dolly. You can see the wheels and the support for the tracks running out behind.

This would be used to get a shot where Shatner is "riding" directly towards the camera. A second dolly holds the camera and is linked to Shatner's dolly. As the both dollys move, the distance from camera to subject is fixed, and the subject stays in focus. This is especially important where they are using an f-stop that gives short depth of field.

This is a very common way to achieve such a shot. It's used all the time for motion shots. This way, not only do they achieve the technical aspects of the shot, but Shatner doesn't have to think about driving a Seg while delivering his lines.

There may be other shots of Shatner actually riding a Seg. The Editor puts it all together and makes you think something is happening that is not. It's Hollywood magic at work.

gbrandwood 09-30-2011 03:10 PM

Ooh I love Hollywood magic!

KSagal 09-30-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civicsman (Post 217035)
You're thinking about this from the Segway perspective, but the answer is all about Hollywood.

It is very clearly a dolly. You can see the wheels and the support for the tracks running out behind.

This would be used to get a shot where Shatner is "riding" directly towards the camera. A second dolly holds the camera and is linked to Shatner's dolly. As the both dollys move, the distance from camera to subject is fixed, and the subject stays in focus. This is especially important where they are using an f-stop that gives short depth of field.

This is a very common way to achieve such a shot. It's used all the time for motion shots. This way, not only do they achieve the technical aspects of the shot, but Shatner doesn't have to think about driving a Seg while delivering his lines.

There may be other shots of Shatner actually riding a Seg. The Editor puts it all together and makes you think something is happening that is not. It's Hollywood magic at work.

This explanation makes much more sense to me than the "For insurance reasons" one. Thanks for this perspective.

Bob.Kerns 10-01-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civicsman (Post 217035)

Yes, I got that it was a dolly -- but I was missing the point about linkage to the camera dolly.

I know a great deal about CG special effects, but very little about fundamentals like this. Thanks for the explanation!

Rusty Butrusty 10-02-2011 09:55 AM

The cap'n was really on a Segway in at least two "Boston Legal" episodes.