SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Who can program infokey? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=37984)

dorrington 10-11-2019 05:35 AM

Who can program infokey?

Hi guys,

I have purchased an i2 that's in really great condition, 2013 model and still has the moulding knobbles on the tyres!

I'm stuck in the uk with questionable support from segway...

Can anyone help me program a key from my serial number?...I know it needs the mother ship to obtain the codes and they charge but I do have money!..and I can post an infokey where ever is required, if i find out my machine is on the stolen register then it's simply tough luck

I can buy one from ebay but the customs charge is a killer!...

thanks in advance..

dgbint 10-11-2019 06:56 PM

As I recall, to program an infokey you need:

Special equipment
This equipment needs an annual licence to remain active.
Support from Segway.

The only folks who have ( had ) that in total, were official Segway dealers.
Some dealers invested in that equipment, others chose not to do so.

Good Luck

Michael

TahoeJoe 10-11-2019 09:16 PM

dorrington, I too am looking to have a spare key programmed. I am checking on a few places I found now and will let you know shortly. I'de be happy to send you something from here in California USA as a gift, there should be no customs duties applicable on gifts. ;)

dorrington 10-12-2019 04:51 AM

ooooo...

That's great thank you...

I am trying a few options here myself,,I will keep yo posted.

Many thanks for the advice ......

Don M 10-14-2019 05:39 PM

Vince at www.texassegway.com rebuilt and reprogrammed an Infokey for me a couple years ago. The total was $75 which included everything including return shipping, so I would *assume* it's less than that just for the programming. I have no idea if he's still in business, but if he is, he can do the programming for you

Don

dorrington 10-19-2019 08:49 AM

thank you Don...

TahoeJoe 10-20-2019 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On Friday I sent a couple emails out on this waiting for answers.
One to a dealer a couple hours away, the other to this guy who used to re-program old ibutton Segway keys http://www.candlelighttechnology.com/ibutton/

I should be hearing back shorty, and I will be happy to combine and coordinate an order from here in CA if I come up with an economical solution.

I opened up a non functioning key of mine to see what was going on. Aside from being dirty it lost all its "spring" for the buttons to operate and function, which apparently is extremely common.

Long story short, those pins and c-clips are so small and delicate, they fly across the room with the tiniest of movements.. they're gone! So now it's beyond DYI for me.. Im going to program a spare I have from another i2.

Curious to know what the technology is behind programming these.
I dont see any ibuttons inside this key (see pic), perhaps its hidden in between the circuit board and the lcd display. I doubt it. I thought it was bluetooth?

Whatever it is, I can't believe it's been in the marketplace for over 10 years and hasn't been hacked. Found this awesome little ibutton cloner thou wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=gkU5b4hSm94

Don M 10-21-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeJoe (Post 246524)
Curious to know what the technology is behind programming these.
I dont see any ibuttons inside this key (see pic), perhaps its hidden in between the circuit board and the lcd display. I doubt it. I thought it was bluetooth?

Whatever it is, I can't believe it's been in the marketplace for over 10 years and hasn't been hacked.

It's not Bluetooth - It's a proprietary communications system developed by Segway and only used by them - The programmer communicates with the Infokey using that protocol

As Vince at Texas Segway told me, you need a special machine to program InfoKeys and you lease it annually from Segway . . . . and the lease ain't cheap
- You gotta be programming many keys to make it worthwhile.

He's gotta have your Segway serial number to input into the machine and I *think* the process checks the serial number against a known list of stolen machines, updated regularly by Segway.

He also told me that the spring clips which each button uses are one part which cannot be bought from Segway, so he has a bunch of defective Infokeys he robs parts from to repair customer units - The one I sent him had two buttons which needed new spring clips

Don

dale@thecoys.net 10-22-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 246532)
It's not Bluetooth - It's a proprietary communications system developed by Segway and only used by them - The programmer communicates with the Infokey using that protocol
Don

Not exactly - it's the ZigBee protocol (minor competitor of Bluetooth). But that is just a technical detail - it's encrypted, too.

Don M 10-22-2019 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net (Post 246538)
Not exactly - it's the ZigBee protocol (minor competitor of Bluetooth). But that is just a technical detail - it's encrypted, too.

Encrypted by the developers of ZigBee . . . . or by Segway??

Don