SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help: is this expected behavior ? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36031)

thisdave 09-28-2018 12:53 AM

Help: is this expected behavior ?

A little background, I'm new to segways, and am a paralyzed wheelchair user trying to use a converted segway.

I was having an issue and had to take the seat frame off the frame to adjust it.

So I have the base of the segway on the ground with with some add on legs holding it level.

I hold the power key down on the remote and the segway powers up and no happy face as nobody is standing on it, and if I pull up the legs the segway falls over ... all as I would expect.

Now if I put the legs down, this just holds the segway level and push down on one of the segway floor sensors I get the happy face. That is I just push down on one of the four sensors. I power it down and power it up and try all four sensors and get the happy face with just one sensor being pressed.
Q1. Is this right only one of the four sensors needs depressing ?

Then if I take my finger off of the sensor, so none of the sensors are being pressed I keep the happy face, and the segway is working, I can lean it forward or backwards and it moves. As though nobody is standing on it, it's functioning?
Is this right ?

This is where assuming gets me into trouble, I figured if none of the sensors were being pressed, as though nobody was standing on the segway it would stop working, and fall over?

If I hit the power button, I lose the happy face and it fall over!

My seated segway has a fancy mechanical mechanism that pushes all four sensor, it would seem this is overkill?
but also when stop pressing the sensor and have the feet deployed I want the segway to stop working. It seems the only way to do this is to hit the power button?

Thanks for letting me know this is normal or not normal, or I have some setting wrong.

infinitronics 09-28-2018 07:10 PM

Welcome, thisdave!

First off, yes, this is expected behavior.

When you first start the Segway with the infokey, it just turns on like you said, with no 'happy face'.

When you activate one of the four sensors, you are then putting the machine into what is called 'riderless balance mode', which is useful for having the Segway assist you in moving it when riding it might not be safe, such as up/down stairs, or whatever. If you walk next to it and move the leansteer handlebar, the machine reacts.

Once you step onto the Segway with both feet, it will enter rider mode and be ridden normally. If you step off the machine, it returns to riderless balance mode.

It is also possible to take the machine out of riderless balance mode once you are off of it by pressing the power button once.

thisdave 09-29-2018 05:04 PM

Thank you for the response infinitronics, very helpful.

Is there a way to tell from the infokey whether you are in 'riderless balance mode' or 'rider mode' ?

What differences would you notice between 'rider mode' and 'riderless balance mode' ? I'm not standing on the machine(on a seat) and am wondering if my mechanism is depressing the senors correctly. For example if my mechanism is only pressing one of the sensors correctly('riderless balance mode'), as apposed to the mechanism pressing all four sensors correctly ('rider mode') : when I ride what differences would I notice?

Thank you again.

dale@thecoys.net 09-29-2018 05:20 PM

Do you have the user's manual for your Segway? It has a lot of detail. for instance:

If any two of the four Rider Detect Sensors
(two located beneath each Mat) are not
depressed while you are riding, the Rider
Detect Error icons will be displayed

[Those icons are a pair of footprints]

If fewer than three Rider Detect sensors are depressed while riding,
the Segway PT reduces the top speed limit regardless of whether
Beginner Setting is enabled or not.

Green Balance Indicator lights indicate that the Segway PT is ready
to be stepped on, or that a rider is already on:
􀁺 One green Balance Indicator light in the center.
The Segway PT is in Standby Mode, ready for the rider to step
on.
􀁺 Five green Balance Indicator lights pulsing.
The Segway PT is in Riderless Balance Mode, ready for the rider
to step on.
􀁺 Four green Balance Indicator lights rotating.
The Segway PT is in Balance Mode with a rider on.

Etc.

thisdave 09-29-2018 07:03 PM

Thank you again.

no don't have a segway manual yet.. will go find one to download.

Now I have the thing apart I can see the green lights you are referring to on the floor. Of course when I have it all together I'm sitting right above them and can't see them for reference plus they way it's build they are all covered up. I only have the infokey for information.

But from what you have said the only feedback to the infokey
is a pair of footprints icons when any two of the four Rider Detect Sensors are not depressed while you are riding.

And if only one sensor is depressed speed is reduced.