SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Community Feedback and Support (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tutorial on How to Use Coppermine for Forum Photos (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=14179)

pam 12-09-2006 07:46 PM

Tutorial on How to Use Coppermine for Forum Photos

I am not able to figure out how to use Coppermine - can either of you guys do a brief tutorial - how to set up an album, how to upload photos, etc. I see that you both have been successful at it. (I never said I was a true techie.)

Thanks
Pam

bystander 12-11-2006 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam (Post 131907)
I am not able to figure out how to use Coppermine - can either of you guys do a brief tutorial - how to set up an album, how to upload photos, etc. I see that you both have been successful at it. (I never said I was a true techie.)

Thanks
Pam

I found it pretty self explanatory. I have been attempting to get folks started with a brief description on how to "find" it. To see these, search for the term "Coppermine" here in the SC search feature and look for my posts.

If you just go through the steps to upload a picture, you will be prompted to set an album. Each time a new picture is uploaded, an album has to be selected for it, otherwise it won't get in. The first time I uploaded a picture was long enough ago that I do not remember all the little details. Maybe it was a link to create an album instead of a prompt.

Now that I have albums, I would have to delete them all to see how the webpage works for someone who doesn't. Maybe I could create a new SC identity to see how it would look for a first-timer.

I'm a little busy this time of year to sit down and write a tutorial. There ought to be something "on the net" already.

If you have a specific spot where you are stuck, I can try to provide more assistance.

If you're trying to find out how to administrate Coppermine, there's this:

Coppermine Photo Gallery v1.3.3: Documentation and Manual

Desert_Seg 12-11-2006 03:27 AM

How to add pictures in three (3) easy steps

Coppermine Tutorial:

(Note: if you want to read these instructions while you are posting pictures, press the "SHIFT" key when performing Step 1. This will open the Coppermine Photo Gallery in a new window)

1. Getting There: Click on the "Photos" link in the upper right hand corner. This will take you to the Photo Album section of Segway Chat

2. Albums: Prior to uploading a picture you must first have an album in which to store it. If you already have an album you will be using, skip to step 3
a) Click on "Create / Order my Albums" (Middle Top)
b) Click on "New" (Bottom Left)
c) In text box below "New" button, type in name of Album (it will originally be called "New Album")
d) Click "Apply These Modifications"
e) Click "OK"
f) Click "Continue"

3. Adding Pictures:
a) Click on "Upload File" (Middle Top)
b) Select the picture(s) you want to upload by clicking "Browse" and, via the Windows Pop-Up window, browsing to where you have stored the file and selecting it.
c) You can only upload FIVE (5) files at a time and there is a size limit per photo (currently 4 MB).
d) Once you have selected all the files you wish to upload, click "Continue". Depending on the size of your files and the speed of your connection, this upload process may take a few minutes. PLEASE BE PATIENT.
e) Once the upload is completed click "Continue"
f) The following steps must be completed for each picture:
- Select album in which to place picture
- Add Title for picture
- Add Description
- Add Keywords
- Click "Continue"
g) You will be informed once all pictures are placed in an album. Click "Continue"

4. Caveats:
a) The Coppermine software is very very very sloooooooow. Be patient
b) The Coppermine software sometimes does not connect. If at first you dont' succeed, try, try again

Have fun...and let's post some pictures!

Steven

pam 12-11-2006 07:58 AM

Bless you both for responding. I certainly understand busy!!! I made 18 batches of biscotti yesterday (and one batch of cookies <G>). That takes care of the office.....
Pam

BillPaxton 12-11-2006 03:48 PM

There is another tool that may make things alot easier for you - if you download flock http://downloads.flock.com
it is a web browser - it has a mass-picture uploader that can automatically log into most of the big freebie picture sites (I use photobucket.com and flickr.com because each gives you 1gb of uploads free).
You literally open your web browser and click a button labelled "pics" then click upload. A black filmstrip appears at the top of the page - you drag pictures from your pc folders there and drop them. Rearrange as you like, caption if you choose to. Click the upload button and it will ask you to log into one of the services, then it tells you when its all done. Saved a lot of time if you do hundred at a time liek I do

Gihgehls 12-11-2006 09:35 PM

BTW, Coppermine admins can batch add files.

BillPaxton 12-12-2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam (Post 131953)
Bless you both for responding. I certainly understand busy!!! I made 18 batches of biscotti yesterday (and one batch of cookies <G>). That takes care of the office.....
Pam

OK...you have to post the recipe even tho it may be off topic!

Desert_Seg 12-12-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillPaxton (Post 132136)
OK...you have to post the recipe even tho it may be off topic!

Just the recipe? I'm thinking that she should send a batch to all the active SC members!

Steven

BillPaxton 12-13-2006 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert_Seg (Post 132144)
Just the recipe? I'm thinking that she should send a batch to all the active SC members!

Steven

well I hadn't thought of that...your idea is *much* better! How 'bout it Pam?!?

pam 12-13-2006 11:59 AM

Could I blame the crumbs on the post office?:rolleyes: Recipes are in OT, for those who want to try. My Christmas gift to the Forum. :)
Pam

polo_pro 12-13-2006 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert_Seg (Post 132144)

Certainly to the 2006 Award Winners...maybe also to the most active member (as measured by the person who posted the most throughout the year...not total posts over multiple years).

bystander 12-18-2006 03:16 AM

Terryp, thanks for the pictures.
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 132425)
Terry, once they're in your album, view them and right click on the image. Go to Properties to see their real Address (URL) on the server. Copy this address and then use the picture button in your post and paste the address in. Hey presto!

And when I download them, they seem to be > 97.7k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryp (Post 132433)
I think that's exactly what I did. I used the URLs that were reported by Properties, and the bracketed URL and /URL were automatically inserted when I put them in my post. But clicking on them returns an error saying they don't exist.

Thanks for posting the pictures for me, Gareth.

You may have figured this out by now, when you paste the text of the URL of the picture into your post, as you did, you get a link.

What gbrandwood was suggesting is that you use the "picture button" instead of pasting the picture URL text into the post. Looks like this:

http://forums.segwaychat.com/images/...nsertimage.gif

The effect of clicking the picture button will give you a pop-up for you to paste the picture URL into. It then inserts that text into the post with "img" tags around it. Img tags are similar to bracketed URL and /URL tags but have IMG and /IMG instead.

If you find bracketed URL tags around an intended image, you can just edit the URL and /URL to IMG and /IMG.

Gbrandwood's post with the pictures included the smaller Coppermine images and links to the larger full sized images. To do that is a little more complicated, but is usually worth the effort as it keeps the vBulletin forum's formatting from becoming too wide and reduces bandwidth load on the Coppermine server.

The smaller Coppermine images are around 17-20 kb, one of the larger ones is around 116 kb, that's why vBulletin reacted the way it did.

Another way to get folks to see your pictures in Coppermine is to make a link to your album, like this:

Terry's Pix

terryp 12-18-2006 10:36 AM

Thanks, Bystander. I don't see that 'picture button' when I'm posting, so maybe I need to ask Pam for some privilege I don't have.

Bentbiker - Let me know if/when yours breaks and I'll be happy to send you a pair of the magnets. I've been using a Sonocare for years, and have always saved the magnets for things like this.

BillPaxton 12-18-2006 10:51 AM

Here I am

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s256/reply.jpg

bystander 12-18-2006 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryp (Post 132471)
Thanks, Bystander. I don't see that 'picture button' when I'm posting, so maybe I need to ask Pam for some privilege I don't have.

If you don't see the picture button, then your "Miscellaneous Options" (At the bottom of your User CP page) is set to "Basic editor". If you change it to the 2nd or 3rd item on the dropdown list, you will get an enhanced set of editing commands the next time you post a message.

P.S. and things will appear more like the image BillPaxton just posted.

terryp 12-18-2006 01:37 PM

Cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bystander (Post 132477)
If you don't see the picture button, then your "Miscellaneous Options" (At the bottom of your User CP page) is set to "Basic editor". If you change it to the 2nd or 3rd item on the dropdown list, you will get an enhanced set of editing commands the next time you post a message.

P.S. and things will appear more like the image BillPaxton just posted.

I would never have found that without your help. Thanks!

gbrandwood 12-18-2006 02:03 PM

Perhaps this should be incoporated into Steven's guide?

bystander 12-18-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryp (Post 132490)
I would never have found that without your help. Thanks!

You're welcome. I'm just glad to get one more regular poster with a camera and the willingness to post into the Coppermine gallery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 132493)
Perhaps this should be incoporated into Steven's guide?

Perhaps. Although, Steven's mini-tutorial was mainly focused on the Coppermine gallery and how to get things into it. The last problem that terryp was experiencing was really a vBulletin issue. I'm sure an addendum link or two wouldn't hurt.

ryan_walters 02-16-2007 09:28 PM

Threads:

Thought I'd add how I link images inline in a thread. I'm assuming the pictures themselves are already in your photo gallery, as per instructions above.

If you upload (a high res) mysegway.jpg, the photo gallery software will automatically create two smaller pictures. One very small 'thumbnail', called thumb_mysegway.jpg, and a 'normal' sized one that I like to show 'inline' in the thread called normal_mysegway.jpg.

I like to have two web browser windows open so I can switch between the thread itself, and the photo gallery easily. I get the url to the 'normal' sized picture by right clicking, and going to properties. I 'triple' click the address url section and the whole url gets highlighted. Then right click, COPY. Then back to the reply to thread editor in the first window. Click http://forums.segwaychat.com/images/...nsertimage.gif and right click PASTE into that box.

That gets you this: (ignoring the starting path "http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12345")

[IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG]

Which will simply display the image inline. I like to make the 'normal' sized image itself an easy way to view the 'big' fullsize original if someone wants to, but not linking the original inline saves thread load time for slower connections.

The original fullsize picture URL is simply the one above without the 'normal_' prefix. To create a link, select the whole line above, from [IMG] right through to [/IMG]. Then click http://forums.segwaychat.com/images/...createlink.gif and right click, PASTE again, but DELETE the "normal_" prefix in order to refer to the original fullsize picture. This will get you this:

[URL="mysegway.jpg"][IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This will give you a clickable picture linking to the original. However I like it to be a little more obvious that the picture is clickable, so I add text:

[URL="mysegway.jpg"][I]Click for fullsize:[/I]
[IMG]normal_mysegway.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In order for the text to be above the picture, and not to one side, the [IMG] tag has to start on a new line.

If you've uploaded multiple pictures with similar names and want to post them all in the thread, (as I did for my LED thread), Just select the entire two lines above, copy / paste it a few times, and change "mysegway.jpg" and "normal_mysegway.jpg" to "mysegway2.jpg" and "normal_mysegway2.jpg" for example.

Then click preview post (if you haven't been already along the way) and make sure everything works.

Because the paths are a bit long, (and the 'editor' has narrower lines) it looks more cluttered when done. This would be how my white i2 looks in the editor with lines wrapped:

[URL="http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14836
/Ryans_Segway_white_fenders.jpg"][I]Click for fullsize:[/I]
[IMG]http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery/albums/userpics/14836
/normal_Ryans_Segway_white_fenders.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hope this all makes sense. Bit harder to write than read as I had to actually display a lot of [url][img] tags instead of having them automatically acted on.

dale@thecoys.net 04-12-2007 06:19 PM

I created an album and uploaded a picture, but ...

OK, some "recent events" induced me to research how to insert pictures, etc. This thread has been very helpful. I uploaded a picture, and managed to actually include it in a posting. However:

>) The following steps must be completed for each picture:
>- Select album in which to place picture

Yep, I created an album, and uploaded the picture. But:

>- Add Title for picture
>- Add Description
>- Add Keywords

I can get to the "Edit File Information" panel for that picture, but when I try to change the "blank" title/description/keywords, I get told:

You don't have permission to access this page.

- Click "Continue"

pam 04-12-2007 06:43 PM

permissions have not been changed - can someone help him?
Pam

dale@thecoys.net 04-12-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam (Post 141085)
permissions have not been changed - can someone help him?
Pam

Oh, it works just fine without a title, description, and keywords. :D

ryan_walters 04-12-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net (Post 141081)
I can get to the "Edit File Information" panel for that picture, but when I try to change the "blank" title/description/keywords, I get told:

You don't have permission to access this page.

- Click "Continue"

I've always gotten that as well from that page. I don't know what's wrong. Because that doesn't seem to work, I've edited information on already uploaded pictures from this page:

Goto "Photos", "modify my albums", Choose the album on the far right if more than one, otherwise "Edit files".

This will list all pictures in the one selected album. You can move pictures in that album to another album, modify title, description, and keywords. I only use Title and Description in my pictures.

Once changing information on one or more files, click apply modifications at the bottom.

It's easier to set title, and description at time of upload. Right after uploading a file, it will ask you which album to put it into, and give you the option of title, and description right there. You're right though, you don't need title or description.

dale@thecoys.net 04-12-2007 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_walters (Post 141091)
I've always gotten that as well from that page. I don't know what's wrong. Because that doesn't seem to work, I've edited information on already uploaded pictures from this page:

Goto "Photos", "modify my albums", Choose the album on the far right if more than one, otherwise "Edit files".

This will list all pictures in the one selected album. You can move pictures in that album to another album, modify title, description, and keywords. I only use Title and Description in my pictures.

Once changing information on one or more files, click apply modifications at the bottom.

Well sure - that was obvious. Go to "modify my albums".

Just like clicking Start to shut down a Windows PC.

Thanks!

dale@thecoys.net 05-16-2007 11:56 AM

Why no "normal"

I uploaded

http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery...Washboard2.jpg

And the thumb is available

http://forums.segwaychat.com/gallery...Washboard2.jpg

But no "normal". Why not? And how to fix?

ryan_walters 05-18-2007 10:29 AM

I imagine that the size of the original picture you uploaded was 288x216? If so, then there's no need for a 'normal' sized version, as the original is 'normal' enough. I always upload larger (higher) resolution pictures, and let the photo gallery scale as it wants. When I upload a 1024x768 (for example) size picture, I always get a thumb, and a 'normal'.

dale@thecoys.net 05-18-2007 12:07 PM

Numbers, please

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_walters (Post 143330)
I imagine that the size of the original picture you uploaded was 288x216? If so, then there's no need for a 'normal' sized version, as the original is 'normal' enough. I always upload larger (higher) resolution pictures, and let the photo gallery scale as it wants. When I upload a 1024x768 (for example) size picture, I always get a thumb, and a 'normal'.

Oh. Well, that makes sense.

[Although the Coppermine documentation that I consulted says "By default, whenever you upload a file, the script creates both a thumbnail of the file (file name using "thumb_" as its prefix) and an intermediate version of the file(file name using "normal_" as its prefix)."]

I had found (by brief trial-and-error) that I was not allowed to upload a picture wider than some physical size (in inches), so I just reduced this one to make it 4" wide (as I recall) and uploaded it.

Questions for the administrator(s):

Question 1: What is the real (set of) limitations on uploads? Physical size? And/or pixel width? Or length?

Question 2: What's the threshold for getting a "normal"?

It would be really useful to know those settings - and some of them may be server settings, and others Coppermine settings.

==========

So, the instructions for displaying a "viewable size" image inline are to replace "thumb" with "normal" (in the html), and if that doesn't work, then delete "thumb_"

ryan_walters 05-18-2007 03:04 PM

In regards to displaying images on a screen, a size in inches means nothing. That would only apply in a desktop publishing type environment where you plan on printing it. Then you have to get into DPI, dithering, half-toneing, etc.

For images primarily intended for display on a monitor, size in pixels is really all that matters. That and with jpeg's, compression levels. Any program should let you specify a size in pixels while saving.

I don't know exactly what the limits are, but I know 2048kb (2 meg) is a size limit. There may be a width / height limit (in pixels) as well, I'm not sure.

dale@thecoys.net 05-18-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_walters (Post 143343)
In regards to displaying images on a screen, a size in inches means nothing. That would only apply in a desktop publishing type environment where you plan on printing it. Then you have to get into DPI, dithering, half-toneing, etc.

Sure. But I inferred (incorrectly) that the limit was in inches, and then the software automatically created a "normal" with some sort of default dimensions (in pixels, of course). My mistake - but with no "published" information, how would I know? The only "documentation" in this thread refers to the "thumb" and "normal" images, and links to the uploaded image. One could reasonably "assume" that Coppermine would take care of the details in some uniform fashion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan_walters (Post 143343)
For images primarily intended for display on a monitor, size in pixels is really all that matters. That and with jpeg's, compression levels. Any program should let you specify a size in pixels while saving.

I don't know exactly what the limits are, but I know 2048kb (2 meg) is a size limit. There may be a width / height limit (in pixels) as well, I'm not sure.

My programs all let me specify the size in pixels. So, I'm asking what to specify, and what effects there are, and so forth.

Thanks for the information on the 2048kb limit. But...

I am now reasonably certain that there is a width and/or height limit of some sort. At least as it relates to whether a "normal" is generated.

Skinnee D 03-17-2008 06:29 PM

Pic Limit

What is the limit on uploading photos? Is it 2 or 4 meg? I've tried to upload between 2.08MB and 2.12 MB photos but is says 0 uploaded successfully. I'm gonna resize but just looking for info.

Robert-A 03-17-2008 09:48 PM

this came from the upload page...

"The size of files uploaded from your client to the server should not exceed 4048 KB each"

good luck.

-Robert