SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   recipe search (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=17880)

pam 02-17-2008 10:49 AM

recipe search

so, does anyone have a good beer bread recipe that works in an automatic breadmaker? I'm going to be stuck indoors today :).

For that matter, does anyone have a really great breadmaker recipe? I know we have some gourmet cooks on this forum.

Pam

BillPaxton 02-17-2008 11:57 AM

ahhh, fresh bread

breadmaker, no. but its easy in the oven - do you have a kitchenaide? put 3/4 cup fairly hot water in kitchenaide bowl, add 1/2 cake of fresh yeat or 2 packets of flieschmann's rapid rise yeast, pinch of salt, and about 2 bsp honey. keep the bowl in warm water so the yeat activates. In about 15 minutes or when the yeast is bubbling add 1 cup guinness (I guess you could use other beers, but, why would you want to?). Add 1/2 cup flour and use dough hook, mix for 5 minutes on low and wait for it to look a bit puffy then add about 2.5 cups more flour and mix - dont add all flour at once, its easy to add more but if you make it too dry its wrecked. Once its all mixed, flour it so its not sticky and put it on wax paper and let it rise for about an hour. It'll get to about three times its size, then punch it flat and roll it into a loaf, bake at 300F intil its nice and golden. If you want it shiny, paint the outside with egg whites.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pam (Post 164793)
so, does anyone have a good beer bread recipe that works in an automatic breadmaker? I'm going to be stuck indoors today :).

For that matter, does anyone have a really great breadmaker recipe? I know we have some gourmet cooks on this forum.

Pam

pam 02-17-2008 12:02 PM

Thanks, Bill. I obviously need to do something with the guinness <G>. Yep, I have the kitchen aid and the bread hook. This looks good.
Pam

BillPaxton 02-17-2008 01:07 PM

another tip - spray the hook with pam (the other kind) before you start! and, if you switch white wine for the beer you will have two pizza doughs.

nora k 02-17-2008 03:47 PM

i've been on a no knead bread kick lately... no breadmaker required! i gave up my breadmaker because it was about nine years old and really flippin' loud. the thought of waking up to fresh bread was not worth the startle at 3am when it started to knead. my young college student friend was not dissuaded and uses it often.

:)

BillPaxton 02-17-2008 05:11 PM

I'm old school. I make my own bread, pasta, mozzarella, sauces, etc. Heaven to me is a good day spear fishing and having fresh hogfish for dinner. I dont understand people that have never had a REAL spinach ravioli, or think olive garden is Italian food.

segsurfer 02-17-2008 08:17 PM

I like the way you think Bill. Mmm hogfish. Are you a Florida native?
-segsurfer

segsurfer 02-17-2008 08:32 PM

I propose that we should make an SC cookbook. Everyone can submit a recipe, and all the proceeds can go to DRAFT. Any takers?
-segsurfer

Sal 02-17-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by segsurfer (Post 164826)
I propose that we should make an SC cookbook. Everyone can submit a recipe, and all the proceeds can go to DRAFT. Any takers?
-segsurfer

I'll volunteer Nora for some recipies... You wouldn't want to taste the concoctions I come up with! LOL

-Sal

pam 02-17-2008 08:52 PM

I'd be willing. <G> I think supporting DRAFT is a good thing.
Pam