SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   daily use, transport & storage? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=24699)

gracefuli 07-30-2010 03:44 PM

daily use, transport & storage?

Hi folks-
I would like more info on how you use your seg. Is it daily use? Do you keep it in/on your car at all times? Do you store until needed? Keep in house-garage?

i have been using it just for business trips- distance walking. But am thinking i may want to use it more often- shopping etc. Right now i store it plugged in at work...

Txs- grace

IcanGlide 07-30-2010 10:45 PM

I use mine everyday on the job. I keep it plugged in just outside my office during the day and plugged in at home when I'm not at work. Really, wherever I go, malls, grocery store, or just plain shopping in general, I always use it. I don't like to keep it in the car for very long.

Frank

fredkap 07-31-2010 06:26 AM

Segvator

Grace, if you can afford it, the Segvator is a great way to bring your Seg with you at all times.

mgalliani 07-31-2010 07:06 AM

I keep my I2 on my Prius (on my segway hauler) and I keep my XT at home for around the neighborhood stuff. My I2 has indoor tires and it goes with me everywhere. I have a power cord in my bag and I charge it where ever I am. My XT has big off-road tires and I use it around my yard and down to the lake (about ½ mile away) to fish.

rwoynaro 09-13-2010 06:39 PM

How do I use it ?

I use my I2 every day. I have a SegSaddle on it. I use the SegVator to haul it. I leave the Seg on the SegVator when not in use and just plug it in. The official Segway lock works good to lock it to the SegVator, it is pretty short IMO to be much use otherwise without some additional cables.

I glide from my car directly into my office every work day; I buzz around the building as needed to go to meetings, etc, and I take it into stores and malls. I have been to Phillies games with it, took it to see Tiger Woods play golf, the Philly Zoo and many other places. I have never had the slightest problem getting access with it anywhere and I have also never had any crowd or people issues at all; everyone has been extremely nice, friendly, but curious. I am prepared to spend a little extra time to talk cause every time I go somewhere, somebody has some questions. Cops have even stopped me and asked for my advice... I thought I was gonna get hassled, but they just wanted to know how well it worked. Maybe I am just lucky as I read posts of how other people have been hassled or bothered; I have never had an issue at all... knock on wood.

gracefuli 10-15-2010 05:03 PM

Plugged into electric?

When you say plug it in- do you mean into car segvator or to an outside electric cable? My gen1 seg never seems very happy when it stays on the segvator for more than a few hours. And i love the segvator- can't imagine how else to transport it!

Tx-Rider 10-15-2010 08:07 PM

I use my segway just for fun. My dad and I ride on average, 6 miles a day.

eJM 10-16-2010 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gracefuli (Post 210183)
When you say plug it in- do you mean into car segvator or to an outside electric cable? My gen1 seg never seems very happy when it stays on the segvator for more than a few hours. And i love the segvator- can't imagine how else to transport it!

I'm sure he meant plug it into an electrical outlet. I keep mine plugged in whenever I am not gliding, except when I have it in the car and the car is not running. I use a converter in the car for trips, but I also don't want to drain my car battery just to charge the Seg batteries.

I use my Seg every day for mobility assistance as well as for fun. Some may think I'm having too much fun on it to be handicapped. No rule against having fun on a mobility device.

I use a Chrysler Town & Country minivan to haul my Seg around. I made my own ramp because the average Segway ramp is way over-priced. I've since found nearly identical metal ramps for less than half the price, but my own ramp still works great after nearly 4 years.

Segways don't like cold, so I have to keep mine indoors. I have custom wheels and tires that some people refer to as off-road, but in fact, they are asphalt racing tires for ATVs and don't work well on the bike trails where I live. They do, however, work very well indoors and I have had no real problems gliding in and out of stores and other public, medical or commercial establishments anywhere I go in California and Nevada. I park it in my living room or inside wherever I am. I carry a power cord and no one has minded me plugging it in while it waits for me to come back to it.

Jim

cms1001 10-16-2010 03:20 PM

I use a SCION XB

Its been adapted for WHEEL CHAIRS by www.FreedomMotors.com. I use it everyday.I have a lithium battery so I charge it every 12hrs.It's worth going to their website.

gracefuli 10-18-2010 09:36 PM

link didn't work- ??