SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Battery screw rubber washer (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35663)

truck 05-24-2018 12:15 AM

Battery screw rubber washer

I reinstalled the batteries in my Gen2 i2 and notice a rubber washer in some of the holes that caused me trouble getting the screws in. They looked like squashed o-rings so I tried to find some at three hardware stores but none had any small enough.
I installed the batteries without them but plan on getting some from McMaster- Carr.
Does anyone know for certain what they are? Are they round profile o-rings or maybe square profile and what size they are? I think they could be 3 mm ID x 5 mm OD.

Don M 05-24-2018 11:38 AM

I've got 3 I2's, so 6 batteries and 24 screws and I've never seen anything like you describe on any of them

Don

truck 05-24-2018 05:33 PM

Must have been a do it yourself thing then. I guess I won't be concerned about not having them if that's the case.

terryp 05-24-2018 08:42 PM

If you look at the head of one of the screws, you'll see it has a groove for the washer, which comes with the screw. The purpose is to help keep water out of the base. If you ride in wet weather, you'll probably want to have your dealer order replacements.

MTOBATTERY 05-25-2018 09:51 AM

If you take a light and look closely in the hole you will see that the o-ring would only engage onto the metal bushing. I personally do not feel that it provides any waterproofing. I believe that it is being used more like a lock washer to provide some back pressure on the threads.

truck 05-25-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY (Post 243034)
If you take a light and look closely in the hole you will see that the o-ring would only engage onto the metal bushing. I personally do not feel that it provides any waterproofing. I believe that it is being used more like a lock washer to provide some back pressure on the threads.

That's my thought too.
So coming from a guy that lost a battery, should I use o-rings?:rolleyes:

Don M 05-26-2018 09:45 AM

I was about to add that none of my Segs were bought new, so don't take my word that there were never any washers there

Buy a long, T handle allen wrench - $3 or $4 on eBay. It makes servicing batteries so much easier and you're more likely to get all the screws tight than if you're using a too short standard wrench. When you think they're all tight, give them a quick second check. I have mine on and off fairly frequently and have never had a screw come loose

Don

KSagal 05-27-2018 08:38 PM

When originally issued, the i2 did have the o rings. The dimensions mentioned do seem about right.

I have gotten them at Fastenal.

As to their requirement, I cannot say. I have a tendency to try to make things run as the factory created them, if I have no reason to change it...

truck 05-28-2018 08:40 AM

I ordered a pack of 25 o-rings last night. I opted for the square profile rather than round. I'll let yous know how it works out after I install them.

Dolan 06-08-2018 02:35 AM

Battery screws with Rubber Washers

I have found that the Rubber Washers appear to be used to keep the screws in place when the battery is removed to keep from loosing them. The rubber washers don’t stay in place and I always remove them. I don’t believe they act a “Lock Washers” and I don’t believe they add to water prevention. There are other places that water can get into the batteries and power base.