SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Tours and Rentals (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What's Wrong With This Picture? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=25804)

Florida Ever-Glides 03-26-2011 10:40 PM

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Found out that a Segway Tour in Florida is being led by a 8 year old guide. Also, I have discovered at least 3 Segway tour operators that will allow riders 7+ years old. Greed is overtaking common sense, and stupidity is reigning supreme. What started as a safe introduction to Segway and great way to explore an area, is being reduced to a quick buck business opportunity. Where safety comes in a distant second...

gbrandwood 03-27-2011 04:51 AM

That's pretty shocking. But wherever people can cut corners to make a quick buck, they often will. So I guess this is the same in lots of business areas. Let's just hope the customers and the councillors realise there are differences between these quick buck operators and the professionals. They won't be round for long.

bvelke 03-28-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 213813)
Let's just hope the customers and the councillors...

...and insurance underwriters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 213813)
...realise there are differences between these quick buck operators and the professionals. They won't be round for long.

KSagal 03-28-2011 12:27 PM

I was in Cancun Mexico, back in the '80s and from my hotel room, or while on the beach, I watched several small boats with a couple locals giving parasailing rides. Most would start from the beach with the speedboat going parallel, and then when up, the boat would go out to sea and give the tour...

Over the first several days, I watched some good operations, and several which would regularly have engine trouble or other issue which dropped their passengers into the drink.

I had to make a note of which boat was more likely to have a good record that week, so that by the end of the week, when I wanted to go for a parasail, I would know which group of young guys to hire.

I would like to think that we have come a long way from there in the Segway tour business, but unfortunately, this thread is showing that in some ways we are moving more toward that model than away from it.

As with many services, word of mouth and repeat business are the markers of a good and reputable service. A great tour company can do a lot for the segway reputation, a lesser one will undo it just as fast and a bad tour will undo a lot of good work almost instantly.

gbrandwood 03-28-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvelke (Post 213823)
...and insurance underwriters...

Good point - assuming they have insurance. What insurer is going to insure a tour guided by kids? Maybe Bugsy Malone. :rolleyes: