SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Community Feedback and Support (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   New Icons (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=20696)

falves 11-01-2008 03:38 PM

New Icons

SegChat has a new favicon, but you may need to clear you browser's cache to see it. We also have a new iPhone Web Clip icon. To get that, just go to SegChat on your iPhone and add the site to your Home Screen. If you have an old Web Clip icon already on your iPhone, just delete it.

Enjoy,
Fernando

JohnG 11-04-2008 09:41 AM

Thanks for making those!!! :) :) :)

falves 11-04-2008 11:11 AM

No Problem!

If you need help with any other art or site stuff, let me know.

-F

gbrandwood 11-04-2008 04:03 PM

I liked the original one. This one is going to have to grow on me a bit I think. In IE the favicon is so small it means the flyguy isn't as clear as before. But thanks for the efforts to help keep the site easy on the eye. I like your avatar too.

falves 11-04-2008 04:12 PM

Yeah...

...but now that the site actually has a logo, I think this fits better. The previous favicon (which I also made) was OK but it's just too generic. Almost every dealer's site has some variation of it and even INC uses the Flyguy for its favicon. The biggest problem with favicons is that they're only 16x16 pixels, so it's quite hard to make things look good...

Have you seen the iPhone version? That one actually works very well as the iPhone does a superb job of scaling WebClip icons (which are 57x57 pixels or bigger) so they look great on screen!

-F

P.S. I like my avatar too! That came from the logo I made for "another" site... :rolleyes:

Bob.Kerns 11-04-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falves (Post 183511)
...but now that the site actually has a logo, I think this fits better. The previous favicon (which I also made) was OK but it's just too generic. Almost every dealer's site has some variation of it and even INC uses the Flyguy for its favicon.

Yes, I had noticed that problem, and as I generally have quite a few tabs open (and eventually have to nuke Firefox because it's consuming a gig's worth of RAM, leaky idiot software...) it was getting quite annoying.

So your new favicon is an immediate hit with me!

Thanks!

falves 11-04-2008 04:52 PM

Thanks...

Thanks Bob!

As for Firefox, make sure that if you have the Flash plugin installed, you update it to version 10.x. When I had version 9.x of Flash in FF, it would cause all sorts of havoc, sometimes taking 99% of processor power! Since updating Flash, FF is running smoothly, though RAM still creeps over time...

You can check to see what version of Flash you have installed by going to Tools>Add-ons and selecting the Plugins tab.

-F

Bob.Kerns 11-04-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falves (Post 183516)
Thanks Bob!

As for Firefox, make sure that if you have the Flash plugin installed, you update it to version 10.x. When I had version 9.x of Flash in FF, it would cause all sorts of havoc, sometimes taking 99% of processor power! Since updating Flash, FF is running smoothly, though RAM still creeps over time...

You can check to see what version of Flash you have installed by going to Tools>Add-ons and selecting the Plugins tab.

-F

Hah, I thought I had Flash 10 on here, but I just checked, and I'm still at 9 on this system. Must have been on another computer...

I don't think Flash is the only culprit, especially for memory leaks. I suspect the Javascript interpreter of leaking like a sieve, but maybe it's the layout engine, or who knows which add-ons. But every bit helps -- thanks for the pointer!

gbrandwood 11-04-2008 06:50 PM

I take your points and agree the larger icons look much better. But the art of favicons is in making them look good despite their size. Impossible I guess with the new SC logo but thanks again for your efforts. This forum (and the other site you mention) have dramatically improved over time into very professional looking sites. Keep up the good work.

eJM 11-04-2008 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not a professional graphics artist, but my opinion is that too much effort was made to make the favicon look exactly like the logo. It doesn't have to. It only needs to be unique and identifiable with the SegwayChat website. The favicon used currently looks on both IE and Firefox like a blob with a point at the bottom and some kind of blurry object in the middle. I'd like to offer my own version for your consideration.

Jim