SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Minipro firmware 1.4 update (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34934)

Bradford 02-28-2017 03:31 PM

Minipro firmware 1.4 update

Hi everyone. I'm new on here, but have had my minipro since Thanksgiving. Since then, I've logged 433 miles on mine, traveling all over the Sarasota area.

I was going out on a ride this morning, and was about 1/4 mile into the ride when a notification popped up on my phone that firmware update 1.4 was available. I stopped right there and downloaded the update. Once done, I proceeded on a 16+ mile ride. Yes, there is a way to extend the range up to 20 miles without stopping or recharging, but I will talk about that later. As for the firmware update, these are the changes I noticed:

The biggest complaints I've had, along with probably many of you, is the beeping and tilt back, so I'll answer that one first. This has been reduced dramatically. It will beep if for the same reasons as before, but now it does not seem to beep anywhere near as frequently. I lost track of how long I went without a single beep. It was music to my ears. I felt with the version 1.3 that the beeping was excessive. From my 1 hour 45 minutes on the minipro, that can no longer be said.

Going hand in hand with the beeping is that awful tilt back. You will still get it, but it is nowhere near as dramatic as it was before. The tilt back now feels very subtle, almost not noticeable at times. Before I felt that the tilt back could be so extreme as to cause a dangerous riding situation. Now though, it no longer detracts from the riding experience.

The other complaint I had was the top speed limiter. It seems like it might have been raised a little bit, but minimal. I could hit 11mph before the speedometer on the phone would begin to flash red. Even then, it did not beep or tilt back at all. It was at an indicated 11.5 mph that I would get the beeps. At that point, or slightly above 11.5 moh, I experienced a very subtle tilt back and slowing. For a point of reference, I'm 6'1" and weight 190 pounds. Your results may very depending on your weight.

Most of all, the word I kept coming back to in describing the new firmware update is SMOOTH. Everything feels more smooth and polished with this update. Acceleration feels more smooth, turning feels more smooth, slowing and reversing.....you guessed it, smooth. I did not feel engagement/disengagement when starting and stopping. It just feels right. It most likely contributed to my not feeling as tired. Normally after riding about 20 miles, I feel a bit beat up. Granted I did just over 16 but still felt very fresh. I may go out and do 20 later just to confirm any difference in fatigue, but the minipro is currently charging at the moment.

So in summary, this latest firmware is a very nice and noticeable improvement. I wish they would raise the top speed to 15mph, but understand why they don't. It would be nice to have that option though, and maybe we will get that option with a future update. For now though, my hat is off to Segway for this much improved update.

DaleH 03-02-2017 10:04 PM

Hey Bradford,
Thanks for posting this and the good review. My wife and I each have one and we now have approx 80 miles on them. I just connected to mine and it showed the new update was available. We'll go for a ride on Saturday to check it out.

I can tell one of my issues with it is now fixed too! :thumbsup: With the old software, when I would try to configure the colors on the rear lights it wouldn't let me choose some colors on the #2 light. I just checked it with this new 1.4 software and it now the colors work as they should.

We are super happy with our MiniPro's! But I have one tire that keeps going flat (my fault, I ran through a bunch of "stickers"). I may have to find a new tire.

Dale - AZ

SegNerd 03-02-2017 11:56 PM

I would've missed this if it weren't for your post. Thank you!

Pescador12 03-03-2017 01:08 PM

Dale,

Look up Slime (green bottle) tire sealant. Motorcycle stores have it. I think Home Depot and Walmart might carry it (tube sealant version?). It is what ATV guys use to repair tires that pick up thorn punctures or nails. It works great on small hard to find leaks. Follow the directions to ride it just after putting it in the tire and inflating it, as that gets the slime all over the inside of the tire. I used it on my lawn mower tire.

Furthermore, I think Segway recommends that repair for the mini pro.

I am waiting to see how people like the firmware upgrade and to make sure there isn't problems.

DaleH 03-03-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador12 (Post 240916)
Dale,

Look up Slime (green bottle) tire sealant. Motorcycle stores have it. I think Home Depot and Walmart might carry it (tube sealant version?). It is what ATV guys use to repair tires that pick up thorn punctures or nails. It works great on small hard to find leaks. Follow the directions to ride it just after putting it in the tire and inflating it, as that gets the slime all over the inside of the tire. I used it on my lawn mower tire.

Furthermore, I think Segway recommends that repair for the mini pro.

I am waiting to see how people like the firmware upgrade and to make sure there isn't problems.

Pescador12,
Thanks, I had thought about the Slime, but I've never used it and I don't want to make a mess of the wheel. Is it fairly easy to remove or clean up if and when I was to get a new tire?

Thanks,
Dale

Pescador12 03-03-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleH (Post 240920)
Pescador12,
Thanks, I had thought about the Slime, but I've never used it and I don't want to make a mess of the wheel. Is it fairly easy to remove or clean up if and when I was to get a new tire?

Thanks,
Dale

I don't remember it being an issue. I replaced the mower tire and didn't care about rim clean up. It should clean up fine.

There are some good videos on youtube about changing the Mini's tire. Watch them as it isn't that easy to wrestle with tire beads. Dish soap mix makes good lube.

DaleH 03-04-2017 06:27 PM

We just got back from about a 3 mile ride on the MiniPro's after the firmware 1.4 software update. I'm not sold on it yet?
I did notice a little softer kickback when reaching max speed.

But I also had some strange out of sync issues with the two wheels? It was really strange. I would be cruising along on a smooth level surface and I would get some quick out of sync movement like one wheel would speed up or one would slow down for a second. It didn't seem to matter if it was a slow speed or faster speed. Twice it caused me to jump off the MiniPro?

I've never felt anything like this in the 80 miles before today? During our ride I stopped and then tried doing a re-calibration of the sensor, but it still did it after that too? I don't know what to think. Both tires were good on pressure.

Any ideas? I've never had an issue either of our Mini's and never had a reason not to trust what it is doing 100%. But now I'm a little worried.

It only seemed to happen on mine. My wife said hers felt like normal. I wonder if there is a way to go back to the old software?

Dale - AZ

Pescador12 03-04-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaleH (Post 240928)
We just got back from about a 3 mile ride on the MiniPro's after the firmware 1.4 software update. I'm not sold on it yet?
I did notice a little softer kickback when reaching max speed.

But I also had some strange out of sync issues with the two wheels? It was really strange. I would be cruising along on a smooth level surface and I would get some quick out of sync movement like one wheel would speed up or one would slow down for a second. It didn't seem to matter if it was a slow speed or faster speed. Twice it caused me to jump off the MiniPro?

I've never felt anything like this in the 80 miles before today? During our ride I stopped and then tried doing a re-calibration of the sensor, but it still did it after that too? I don't know what to think. Both tires were good on pressure.

Any ideas? I've never had an issue either of our Mini's and never had a reason not to trust what it is doing 100%. But now I'm a little worried.

It only seemed to happen on mine. My wife said hers felt like normal. I wonder if there is a way to go back to the old software?

Dale - AZ

Is your control stick getting unwanted inputs? Is the stick, or the red thing it mounts to, loose? The allen bolts are hidden behind the red plug. Wheels not binding up when turned by hand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRkQqrEq92A&t=14s

DaleH 03-07-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador12 (Post 240930)
Is your control stick getting unwanted inputs? Is the stick, or the red thing it mounts to, loose? The allen bolts are hidden behind the red plug. Wheels not binding up when turned by hand?

Yes, I checked all those bolts and all were tight. I'm going to charge it up to full and try it again. Hmmm?

Dale - AZ

DaleH 05-07-2017 08:52 PM

Just an update on this.... There have been a couple of "App" updates, not really a Segway firmware update, but I have not had any strange problems since the App updates. Have put an additional 20 miles on it and working good.

Dale - AZ