SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Patiently waiting for service from LLC... (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=11556)

Chadr 02-10-2006 01:07 PM

Patiently waiting for service from LLC...

Our I167 has been sitting at LLC since January 2nd...patiently waiting for service...Whats the hold-up?

I have heard that they have been backed up waiting for misc. parts to come it...the parts backup got so bad at one point they ended up laying off some of the repair technicians until the parts came in, then hired them back...Whats the deal??? Why have we continually been told for the last month that our Segway will be looked at "in the next couple of days"?

I have lost all faith in LLC standing up for their word at all...Its sad to see...

Chad

Dragan 02-10-2006 01:33 PM

Chad you didn't say what the problem with your machine is...minor, major, powerbase, handlebar, software upgrade,...???
Sometimes parts for older models are difficult to come by, for a variety of reasons. Despite everyones best efforts,
if they don't have the parts, they don't have the parts..plain and simple.

Segway gets parts from a wide variety of sources, not all even in North America. There may well be a very valid reason
that it's taking longer than expected. I'm not sure of the relevance of the statement about technicians being laid off...
where did you hear that, and what does it have to do with repairs to your machine being delayed? Actually that is common practice in a lot of manufacturing facilities, the automotive industry being the first that comes to mind.

Cut'em a bit of slack...I'm sure they're trying their best. Have you talked to them about what the specific shortage may be,
and what the anticipated delivery/completion/shipping window looks like?
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

JaredHT 02-10-2006 01:40 PM

Chad,

I’m not one that will ‘blow smoke’ on an issue. If I don't like something, I tend to say it. But I can honestly tell you that Segway Inc has an excellent customer and product service/support department.

There are several aspects that may affect the duration of wait on a service job. First, coming off of the holiday season, service will always be in high demand. And while part and product procurement is always a concern with any manufacturer, you should also know that Inc doesn't simply throw new parts in your machine and push it out the door. They're studying your machine and your problem to ensure continuous improvement of products and services. If you saw everything that is involved with resolution of a service request, I think you’d be very impressed.

I know it's hard to go without a Segway once you're used to having it, but I assure you their customer service is top-notch!

This is just my opinion, and others are certainly entitled to object. But I have had nothing but great experience with Inc in this regard.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier

Segway of Ohio
Ohio's [u]FIRST</u> and [u]ONLY</u> Segway Exclusive Dealer!

Ohio's Largest Inventory of Segways and Segway Accessories!

Akron & Columbus

[/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)][/:)]

Sal 02-10-2006 02:42 PM

That's one of the reasons I have had second thoughts about sending my loose control shafts into the service department. I don't know how long I'd be without a glider. Last I heard, three weeks. And that's too long for a simple control shaft collar replacement.

I'll wait.

And although the Segway service dept. has been historically top notch. I'd be pretty upset if the "in a couple of days," line was used for over 40 days like apparently it has with Chad.

I'm with you, Chad. You have a right to be upset, and Segway should be giving you solid answers.

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003

Bytesguy 02-10-2006 06:46 PM

I've had nothing but top-notch technical service from Segway - it's winter, dude. Everybody who has an issue is sending their HTs in now, in advance of the summer. Take a motorcycle to a repair shop as the summer season is starting, and you'll get the same backlog that you're seeing with Segway. Do a little homework, and you'll find that their leadtime on repairs aren't much different that other electronic devices, etc.

pam 02-10-2006 07:11 PM

I think we're just spoiled. Back in the old days ;) when there were fewer of us to send back for repairs, the wait time was shorter. I'm sure it's as you've said, Bytesguy, the time for repair isn't outrageous when it's compared with other things... plus we have the whole shipping issue/time to contend with.
Pam

GyroGo 02-10-2006 07:39 PM

It's a hanging Chad.

(I am really really really sorry, my typing fingers just keyjacked my brain).

Tarkus 02-10-2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by pam

I think we're just spoiled. Back in the old days ;) when there were fewer of us to send back for repairs, the wait time was shorter. I'm sure it's as you've said, Bytesguy, the time for repair isn't outrageous when it's compared with other things... plus we have the whole shipping issue/time to contend with.
Pam
Makes sense to me. The fix would be dealer service for the product. That would work for things like the CS issue thats just gone away from this forum. They say maybe the paint but.........

Many of the repairs could be made in the field as the Seg plant is an assembly plant, so Segs are put together with oem parts.

Those same parts can be done by dealers and that would fix wait times and build dealer loyalty.

Bytesguy 02-11-2006 09:28 AM

Many of the Seg parts are OEM, but they are integrated with proprietary code. Seg is never going to let that code out of their hands, which does limit the amount of work a dealer can perform. Our HTs are not off-the-shelf products. I love my HT, and I went into it know that if the machine needed to intot he shop, she was heading for New Hampshire. The shipping is also a bummer, but again, I knew that the li-ion battery was a hazardous material, and to ship it anywhere was going to be more time consuming. The alternative is a nickel. Yech!

Sal 02-11-2006 12:32 PM

I'm with Tarkus on this. Dealer servicing would be the way to go for most things. I think that three weeks is far too long a wait. The Segway is not like most electronic products. It's not procuced in MASS amounts. I believe things that go so wrong that it needs to be sent to the mothership happens to less than 1% of the Segways out there. I don't think that CS issues should require it being sent back to NH. Issues with redwrench, battery, etc sure.

Do I think we've been spoiled? Perhaps, but I thnk we have grown accustomed to what customer service SHOULD be like for a top notch "different" company. The fact that there are lag times this long, and the apparent run around isn't the Segway way.

I don't expect there to be teams of tech support at INC working on dozens of Segways at a time (Segway doesn't make toasters or VCRs), what I do hope is a commitment to complete the job within a specified amount of time without leaving the customer in limbo. Last I recall, we paid $5000 for these things, some of us have more than one. We have a right to be spoiled. he he he

:-)

-Sal

Segway Chat Member since July 2003
Segway Owner since August 2003