SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Reference Information & How-To's (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Shipping a Segway for Vacation Use (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32252)

dudeman1961 08-09-2013 12:31 AM

Shipping a Segway for Vacation Use

I have read that I cannot transport my i2 on a plane due to the batteries.

Has anyone shipped theirs ahead to their destination for use on vacation, etc.?
Can you get it delivered to the airport, by chance, and have it waiting in baggage check/information desk?

KSagal 08-09-2013 11:41 AM

I have had them shipped directly to the hotel I was staying at. I have never had them shipped to the airport.

I would think that having it shipped that deep into the airport to be a difficult task. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

rotorblades 01-05-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeman1961 (Post 230713)
I have read that I cannot transport my i2 on a plane due to the batteries.

Has anyone shipped theirs ahead to their destination for use on vacation, etc.?
Can you get it delivered to the airport, by chance, and have it waiting in baggage check/information desk?

i took mine with me on a princess cruise ship.i hope ups or another company will ship for us. if airplanes wont lets go by boat//?

segrick-ATL 01-06-2015 11:40 PM

Depending on the airline you prefer, the i2 will be accepted the same as a wheelchair when used by the passenger as a mobility/assistive device. There have been some changes that apply due to a combination of the Air Carrier Access Act and PHMSA regulatory revisions. There is more info in the thread for use as a disability device forum. Delta, Southwest and KLM seem Seg-aware from posts made here.

gsouser 11-04-2015 11:20 PM

I have taken my to Amsterdam several times. I use it as a mobility device since I wear a prosthetic. You must use HMIH batteries when flying though. Glide it right up to the plane door and it is waiting for my when I arrive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gbrandwood 11-05-2015 08:46 AM

Yeah, you will have less problems flying with NiMH but unfortunately, since 2006 (IIRC), new Segway models only use Li-ion. So if you have an i2 or x2 or later, NiMh are not an option :(

rotorblades 11-05-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 238388)
Yeah, you will have less problems flying with NiMH but unfortunately, since 2006 (IIRC), new Segway models only use Li-ion. So if you have an i2 or x2 or later, NiMh are not an option :(

take a cruise ship if airlines wont make a protective box

bud01234 11-05-2015 03:27 PM

I believe that shipping by greyhound bus is also an option, but don't rember any particular guidelinesl.

Bud

Paulvinet 11-06-2015 12:18 AM

Protective shipping crate

Can the batteries be shipped in a protective case that is "HazMat" certified?

rotorblades 11-06-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulvinet (Post 238400)
Can the batteries be shipped in a protective case that is "HazMat" certified?

has anyone researched using another countries airline like thai air or japan air?