SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Turning on light scooter slows down (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36303)

1airborne 12-20-2018 05:53 PM

Turning on light scooter slows down

Every time I turn on the head light the es4 slows down. It will only go about 4 mph.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Bill

[RCG]Balthazar 12-21-2018 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First off, does the red S shine on your instrument panel?
If not doubletap till it does.
Secondly, as far as I know, there is no es4.
At least not on the Segway product page.

Chances are you have been con'ed.
Do you have a link to where you bought it?

(Gotta love Chinese knockoff of Chinese products)

Attachment 2577

1airborne 12-21-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [RCG]Balthazar (Post 244060)
First off, does the red S shine on your instrument panel?
If not doubletap till it does.
Secondly, as far as I know, there is no es4.
At least not on the Segway product page.

Chances are you have been con'ed.
Do you have a link to where you bought it?

(Gotta love Chinese knockoff of Chinese products)

Attachment 2577

Yes I have the red icon when I turn on the light. When I turn on the light the read out and icon goes dim. When I turn off the light everything goes bright again. I have the es2 with extra battery.

Thanks

Pescador12 12-30-2018 08:06 PM

I looked briefly into getting one of these.

The ES4 is the ES2 with the extra battery included/preinstalled. The slowing down when the headlight is on thing,... is what they do. Something to do with how the motherboard is wired. Poor engineering with how the light gets its power, perhaps.

Leave the light off and use a headlamp on your head is a possible solution. Otherwise, there are people on other forums who know how to re-solder the motherboard to avoid the problem.

Sniep 12-31-2018 03:12 AM

It's a well known fault on some earlier engineered models of the ES line of scooters. The latest ES4s don't suffer it supposedly, but if you got one of the older "grey" post (vs. "Black" post that the latest ES4s have) the controller board has a current overload point where a fuse or resistor I believe will fail and result in the loss of power delivery.

The fix is to replace the brain on the unit, it's not a lot of fun but it can be done.

1airborne 01-01-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniep (Post 244126)
It's a well known fault on some earlier engineered models of the ES line of scooters. The latest ES4s don't suffer it supposedly, but if you got one of the older "grey" post (vs. "Black" post that the latest ES4s have) the controller board has a current overload point where a fuse or resistor I believe will fail and result in the loss of power delivery.

The fix is to replace the brain on the unit, it's not a lot of fun but it can be done.

I replaced the control board and it turns on. I get a fault code of 35. I guess I have to requester the new board. I tried to but so far I havent been able to do it.

Airborne

Scootman 01-01-2019 09:47 PM

I have an es4 I’m having the same issue with right now. I just got it last week. When I turn the light on, it slows down and the brake lights will start flashing and code 42 will flash. Any ideas?

mikolaakos 04-04-2019 09:35 AM

I'm in the same shoes: since I upgraded from ES2 to ES4 with the extra battery, it developed two issues:
- max speed is lower when I turn on the light
- sometimes it switches off accidentally during braking. This one is quite dangerous, as during braking the scooter switches off, I loose braking power, and the scooter got into gliding mode. Frightening.

Any thread to replace the board?

VoltaRiders 05-15-2019 05:21 PM

how old is your battery? Maybe its related to capacity decreasing and battery degraded.