SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   RYNO balancing motorcycle (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=27825)

segrick-ATL 09-04-2012 10:58 PM

RYNO balancing motorcycle

Found this yesterday, interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1YoC...e_gdata_player

Now that's a head-turner!

PaulDV 09-05-2012 03:01 AM

Looks good doesn't it?

Now this would be road legal in the UK and would leapfrog Segway.

The model you see in the video is just a pre-production prototype but appears to be market-ready, and the company is taking a poll to see if there is actually a market before calling for investor funding.

An interesting one to watch.

Lily Kerns 09-05-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDV (Post 222931)
Looks good doesn't it?

The model you see in the video is just a pre-production prototype but appears to be market-ready, and the company is taking a poll to see if there is actually a market before calling for investor funding.

This is the one I'd like to try out...

KSagal 09-05-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulDV (Post 222931)
Looks good doesn't it?

What makes you think it would be road legal? It is using similar types of technology to the segway, so what makes you presume it would have less legal issues? I am not trying to argue for its own sake, but am curious as to your thought process behind this statement.

Gihgehls 09-05-2012 01:59 PM

Perhaps the fact that it has built in lights, a horn, turn signals and a brake light have something to do with why he thinks it would be road legal.

KSagal 09-05-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gihgehls (Post 222935)
Perhaps the fact that it has built in lights, a horn, turn signals and a brake light have something to do with why he thinks it would be road legal.

Thanks. I wonder what Paul thinks.

Also, I recall that one of the problems with some legal issues were the fact that brakes or mechanical brakes were written into the laws, and that sometimes the lack of mechanical binding brakes was a reason for some lack of legal support.

There was a debate some time ago where people took sides in deciding where they stood about the electromechanical braking system on the segway and the terminology used in the laws of certain resistant countries to legalization, because they specifically called for brakes and stated that there was no component on a segway that was a "brake".

I do not know how this motorcycle works. However, I suspect there are still no binding brakes on it, or people will kiss the roadway fairly frequently.

Also, I did not see specs on speed. I may have missed it, but previous versions of this type of motorunicycle have had speeds limited to something similar to a segway, I believe I read 15mph. If this were to be legalized for street use, that may be a problem as well.

When Dean has spoken of the forces involved, and the control over those forces, the problems expand exponentially when braking from speed, not linearly. With that in mind, keeping balanced at even a modest 25mph maximum speed will likely be 100 times harder or more than at 15 mph. This too may weigh into their legality.

One advantage that segways have is that they are designed for, and well suited for use on the sidewalk (or pavements, depending on what country the pedestrians are walking) and this device does not seem well adapted for that at all. Yet another impediment to legalization.

So, again, I ask Brittians, what would make this device more legally legitimate over segways, in your opinions?

Tarkus 09-07-2012 08:22 AM

Hell with legal or legit ill buy one, lol!

Be Big,
AMAC

PaulDV 09-07-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSagal (Post 222936)
[
So, again, I ask Brittians, what would make this device more legally legitimate over segways, in your opinions?

Dual headlights, dual taillights, brake lights, turn indicators, separate speed and braking controls.

The only reservation I would have would be over whether or not the electronic braking would be deemed to be safe.

Convince the Department for Transport that it is and you're just one little Type Approval away from legalisation.

This would be classified as a motor vehicle (as is the Segway) and would only be allowed on roads, not sidewalks or pedestrianised areas (or bike lanes). Oh and it would require a licence plate, insurance, MOT, road tax (although being electric it might be exempt) and a drivers licence.

I believe that the speed on this is limited to about 15mph.

MagiMike 09-08-2012 11:50 AM

Panic stop?

I have visions of a mega face plant with a sudden stop from max speed (?15 mph) to zero. Thats got to leave a mark.

PeteInLongBeach 09-09-2012 12:33 PM

Yeah, I gotta wonder about emergency / evasive maneuvering. All the videos that I can find show it being carefully operated under controlled conditions, by an experienced operator, and do not show any quick maneuvers. And, I notice the operator still must use his feet to keep it upright when stopped and during the first few feet of travel.

I would love to see it compared to a segway under a variety of road conditions, maneuvers, and evasive situations.