SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   i170 Fast blinking red battery light on control shaft? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35810)

JohnG 07-12-2018 12:02 PM

Fast blinking red battery light on control shaft?

1 Attachment(s)
I checked my old i170 sitting in the basement recently and noticed it had a red blinking light on the control shaft down by the plug. Usually those two LEDs blink green as it's charging each battery (usually not in unison). This, however, is both LEDs fast-blinking in red.

Any ideas? I had the i2 upgraded and so it uses lithium-ion batteries. Also have had the batteries renewed at one point a few years ago...

Thanks!
John

Don M 07-12-2018 07:05 PM

??? Your photo doesn't look like any I2 I've ever seen ???

I *thought* every single I2 sold came from the factory with lithium batteries installed

Maybe you're talking about an earlier model??

Don

JohnG 07-12-2018 09:20 PM

Sorry, i170, not i2. I wish it was an i2!

dave 07-12-2018 10:43 PM

The same thing happen to me 2 years ago to my 180

I tried reseting the whole thing by removing the control shaft and both batteries. 2 screws were missing, one from each side. I waited about a week before reassembling the Segway (because I had to wait for replacement battery screws). I don't whether the missing screws were the cause of the flashing red lights, or whether waiting a week with the Segway disassembled made a difference. The Segway has worked fine since then.

dave 07-12-2018 10:51 PM

Part 2 flashing red lights on I 180

Thinking back to the episode with the I 180. I may have also switched the pair of batteries with my second Segway, an I2, to see if the batteries were still working or whether the I 180 was still working. I just remember that it took me a week to finish putting the batteries back on the Segway -- I don't remember whether I placed the original batteries back on the I 180 -- just that both machines worked after the end of the week. Sorry, I cannot be more helpful.

JohnG 07-15-2018 08:16 AM

I'll try resetting the unit by removing the control shaft and unplugging it. You only have to wait a few minutes before plugging it back in (not a week). Totally forgot to do that as a troubleshooting step.

The Segway doesn't care about missing screws, insomuch as long as the batteries are properly seated to the battery connectors. You can run the batteries with a screw or two missing usually without an issue.

JohnG 07-23-2018 02:24 PM

Undid the control shaft, waited a few minutes, plugged it back in. Same fast-blinking red LEDs on control shaft.

Undid the batteries and control shaft. Waited a few minutes. Swapped the batteries with one another, plugged everything back in. Same fast-blinking red LEDs on control shaft.

Not sure if it's a bad cell in a battery, or the power supply, a circuit board, or something different altogether....

MTOBATTERY 07-24-2018 02:38 PM

Hi John,

I hope that you are doing well. Flashing red lights commonly means a failed CSB. The only other thing that I am aware of that will cause a flashing red charge light would be failed circuit boards in your batteries. However, I can tell you from past experience that a failed CSB can also cause your battery BMS to become damaged as well. If you would like to send your batteries in I would be happy to check them to see if they are working properly. I can also confirm whether your charger applied any charge to them or if they are discharged. If interested please send to 237 N. Church Lane Red Lion, PA 17356 and include your contact information with the shipment. Thanks!

JohnG 07-24-2018 04:28 PM

Okay, with that info I think I can do a little more troubleshooting... Thanks for the kind offer, I'll let you know what I come up with before sending out the batteries (which I remember is a bit of a pain)...