SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   one handed Segway? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=18444)

bobh002 04-12-2008 05:17 PM

one handed Segway?

I will be getting surgery on my arm and shoulder in 2 weeks and have not seen any discussion about using a Segway one handed. I will be without the use of my right arm for 12-16 weeks and would love to get a Segway to be able to get out of the house and glide around town on.
Is a right arm required? :confused:

wwhopper 04-12-2008 05:41 PM

You should be fine

Especially with an i2 or an x2

Our Segs4Vets users often are missing one limb or another, and they do just fine.

You will too!

LibertySegway 04-12-2008 07:21 PM

In polo we only use the left hand for the Seg. The right swings the mallet! :)

bentbiker 04-13-2008 12:58 AM

I'll be the dissenting voter. Knowing that you are likely to fall when learning, and you are having surgery, I think you are making life way to difficult for yourself and your surgeon if you buy now. Why not wait at least until it is healed to the point where a fall won't cause another surgery. If you are an 18 yr old BMX rider, I might change my vote, but probably not.

The alternative would be to buy it immediately and get the learning in with two arms -- before the surgery.

Segway of St. Louis 04-13-2008 12:19 PM

I have to agree with John that post sugery is not the ideal time to learn. Get you Segway ASAP and get some practice in.

One handed operation while not suggested by Segway is very common. How else would you be able to hold a cocktail? (Not suggested use either:-)

bobh002 04-13-2008 01:05 PM

I like the cocktail idea!! Surgery is not until 5/6 and i'm going to Annapolis MD this Thursday to check them out and if i get one this week that will give me time to get some (limited) 2 handed practice in.

gvcooljr 04-13-2008 05:58 PM

bobh002 you have a pm

wwhopper 04-13-2008 06:32 PM

We are looking forward to your coming in

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobh002 (Post 168494)
i'm going to Annapolis MD this Thursday to check them out and if i get one this week that will give me time to get some (limited) 2 handed practice in.

And we will make sure you get plenty of practice prior to your surgery.

And with a Seg in the waiting, you will have something to look foward to after the operation.

fathertime 04-14-2008 08:03 AM

One Armed Man

Our one armed store manager Michael uses the accessory bar (mounted straight up, without accessories) centrally mounted on the lean-steer to manuever with ease using only one hand. While it is just as easy to use either side of the lean-steer, this central handle (of sorts) makes for the perfect place to grab on, either on or off of the machine. We have also found it to be a great handle for a trainer to hold on to while a newbie mounts the machine. Try it, you'll like it!!!!! Mikey likes it!!!!!:):D:):D

Five-Flags 04-14-2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fathertime (Post 168537)
Try it, you'll like it!!!!! Mikey likes it!!!!!:):D:):D

In spite of your handle, Jim, I didn't think you were old enough to remember those commercials. Of course, I'm not either...:eek: