SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite Segway thing . . . (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=22247)

Seginaway 06-10-2009 05:51 PM

Favorite Segway thing . . .

For me, each Glide provides a new experience that continues to provide enjoyment and a new awareness of my surroundings. It also makes even more happy that I decided to become a Segway owner.

The number 1 enjoyment I get as a Glider is the freedom to meander and enjoy the environment around me. When I drive or ride a bike, I don't get to experience the environment around me, I'm just traveling through it. While a walking excursion allows one to experience the immediate environment, it also limits how far and how much you can experience.

Even in my everyday commuter Glides over the exact same path, I have a higher awarness of what is around me, the sounds, the smells, the sights as I need to be much more aware of what is happening around me as Gliding can be dangerous.

Just the other day as I came around a corner in the path there was a Red Tailed Hawk munching on its prey. The size of the bird was surprising and I spent a few moments watching a scene in nature from only a few yards away. Something I would never see while driving as the horns blowing from behind me suggest that I stop lingering and move on.

What are your favorite Segway things. . . .?

DaveA 06-10-2009 06:54 PM

Here's a note I wrote to my daughter a couple of weeks ago:
Quote:

I rise from a short noon nap, jump on the seg and scoot down the road, headed back to work. The sun is high overhead, mid-80s, and our subdivision is
deserted -- the kiddies haven't arrived yet from school.

Sucking on one of those strawberry Hall's thingamabobs, I approach the corner liquor store where a couple of birds are raising merry hell in the field to my left. I look to see a hawk come swooping down over the water, scattering two other little ones who were getting a drink.

(The field formerly occupied by the Christmas tree guys has become a lake in the last ten days. Boy have we had a lot of rain here.)

The hawk lands on the shore on my side of the "lake", fairly close by, so I detour into the parking lot and drive back to admire the hawk. It pays me no mind, and stands there about 20 feet away staring at me while I stare at it. The bird presently scratches behind its ear, and fluffs itself up, and I smile -- I like birds. Then it stretches its wings and gives one great lazy stroke, which takes it a hop of barely three feet.

But it's in the water now, its talons completely immersed. It bends over several times and thrusts its face into the lake, stretches up and swallows great gulps of water, again paying me no mind. Then it unhurriedly flies off, heading thataway, scattering the small birds again.

I continue on my own way, crossing the street at the Mobil station, then wait on the light to cross Mitchell Hammock. While standing there I feel the sun warm on my face. A grasshopper buzzes by, making an audible <tick> when it crash-lands on the concrete island. I can hear a lawn mower operating somewhere out of sight.

The slight breeze shifts and for a second I can smell the cut grass that the mower was producing.

A stream of cars passes by, each of them hermetically sealed against the environment, windows shut tight, playing their radios at sufficient volume to tune out the world. I might as well be the only person here.

The world is mine. The sun is mine. The hawk, the grasshopper, the smell of the grass -- all mine. The light changes to green, I head up the street toward my employer's office, and turning into the parking lot is hard, very hard.

Seginaway 06-11-2009 11:57 AM

Bobby Flay visits . . .

Another favorite on a Segway.

On the Glide home last night, I came across a delightful aroma eminating from a backyard BBQ. It was so good I reversed and floated around for a few minutes to enhale the sweet aroma thinking what I would be cooking on the barby later that night.

It was so good, it might have been Bobby Flay visiting the neighborhood.

Just another example of why I enjoy the Segway experience.

DarthSegVator 06-11-2009 12:20 PM

First-Timers

That look and Segway smile people get after a proper introduction to the machine. You can tell the exact moment when they "get it".

The awe and delight people display is almost child-like and quite contagious.

This type of response is further magnified with the Segs4Vets program. Watching recipients come to the realization that they can gain back freedoms thought to be gone forever is an experience you will never forget.

What a truly magnificent device!

PS - I hope more SegwayChat members can join us at future Segs4Vets ceremonies and experience this first-hand. We'd love to have you there.

segsurfer 06-11-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthSegVator (Post 194287)
That look and Segway smile people get after a proper introduction to the machine. You can tell the exact moment when they "get it".

The awe and delight people dis play is almost child-like and quite contagious.

This type of response is further magnified with the Segs4Vets program. Watching recipients come to the realization that they can gain back freedoms thought to be gone forever is an experience you will never forget.

What a truly magnificient device!

PS - I hope more SegwayChat members can join us at future Segs4Vets ceremonies and experience this first-hand. We'd love to have you there.

Very well said Darth; I agree 100%.
-segsurfer

Seginaway 06-11-2009 12:36 PM

A smile, whether from a worthy vet or a child that points and gleefully tugs his parents arm to have them notice the gliding Segway, is one thing that you always get with a Segway.

Smiles abound when your on your Segway, whether they are the Glider's or from those all around.

Smiles, another of my favorite things about Segways. What's yours?

SegwayDan 06-11-2009 11:29 PM

All machines we make are controllable in some way, but the Segway PT control is unique. Not that I have experience with prosthetics, but being on the machine is almost like having one. It just responds so sensitively, proportionally, and reliably, you eventually almost forget it's there beneath you.

PeaboJones 06-11-2009 11:56 PM

What's not to like?

The gentle breeze. The quiet whir. The closeness to trees, wildlife, buildings, people. The smile from gliders young and old and those I pass by. The fasination. The sense of freedom. The simple feeling of the glide. :p

bud01234 06-15-2009 07:11 PM

My favorite (and frequent) dream as a child would find me gliding down a sidewalk; my feet not touching and the feeling of flight was delicious.

I recreate that dream every time I ride the Segway.

Seginaway 06-15-2009 09:03 PM

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head . . .

Definetly one of my favorites, happened just last night on my Glide home from work when I forgot to check the weather report and as the rain drops came down, I couldn't help but sing that B.J. Thomas / Burt Bacharach song . . .

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head, and just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed . . .

Nothin' seeems to fit, those raindrops are fallin' on my head, they keep fallin' . . .

So I just did me some talkin' to the sun . . .

What's your favorite. . . ?

Froley 06-15-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginaway (Post 194232)
For me, each Glide provides a new experience that continues to provide enjoyment and a new awareness of my surroundings. It also makes even more happy that I decided to become a Segway owner.

The number 1 enjoyment I get as a Glider is the freedom to meander and enjoy the environment around me. When I drive or ride a bike, I don't get to experience the environment around me, I'm just traveling through it. While a walking excursion allows one to experience the immediate environment, it also limits how far and how much you can experience.

This was so very,very well put Seginaway...I have often thought about the difference in gliding, compared to walking, biking etc. But was unable to put it into words which you did in a most excellent manner...

I like to glide on Sunday morning here in the town's historic district...the thing i feel is the quiet, the cool, the tree's overhead and the golden age of the surrounding neighborhood.

Regards
Froley

Mamrax 06-16-2009 08:14 AM

Favorite Thing

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Couldn't resist...Really my favorite thing is gliding to work at 5:30 in the morning with no one on the sidewalk. 10 miles of bliss!

LibertySegway 06-16-2009 02:06 PM

Polo

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeaboJones (Post 194325)
The gentle breeze. The quiet whir. The closeness to trees, wildlife, buildings, people. The smile from gliders young and old and those I pass by. The fasination. The sense of freedom. The simple feeling of the glide. :p

[I am back on as Liberty..thanks William]

Hello......Segway Polo!!!!!! :D

Go GoldRush!

Seginaway 06-16-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertySegway (Post 194532)
[I am back on as Liberty..thanks William]

Hello......Segway Polo!!!!!! :D

Go GoldRush!

Never had the chance to play Segway Polo. There are not enough "horses" around my neck of the woods (in fact, I've never seen another one around here), but it would surely be something that I would jump at.

I'm actually quite jealous, Segway Polo has been a dream of mine but it doesn't appear its a local possibility. Maybe one day when I go to a SegFest.

Seginaway 08-04-2009 01:50 PM

Anorther Favorite thing about my Segway . . .

Cargo Plates that can be used for lighting your favorite smoke.

Out on a glide the other day and found myself without my trusty lighter to ignite a cigar for the trip home. I look in the bag and find some "light anywhere" matches.

Suffice it to say the cargo plates make an excellent strike pad for the matches and with one flick of the wrist, the cigar smoke started wafting skyward and the glide home was sweet.

What's your favorite thing about a Segway?

jgbackes 08-04-2009 02:03 PM

My Favorite Thing

1 Attachment(s)
It has to be going with my Sweet wife to Yosemite valley. For years I would sit in the car or on a bench and watch the walkers and bicyclers have their fun. Now with the Segway, an entirely new world has been opened up to me.

Looking up at Half Dome and El Capitan just takes my breath away.

Here is a picture of me at Yosemite Falls. Now that was a GREAT DAY!

segsurfer 08-04-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgbackes (Post 197484)
It has to be going with my Sweet wife to Yosemite valley. For years I would sit in the car or on a bench and watch the walkers and bicyclers have their fun. Now with the Segway, an entirely new world has been opened up to me.

Looks like a sweet glide man.
-segsurfer

Bob.Kerns 08-04-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Jeff -- my wife has been bugging me to go, and I was wondering how accessible it would be.

segsurfer 08-04-2009 05:55 PM

I love cruising. I've taken to cruising around the area surrounding our shop in the late afternoon every day merely to enjoy the scenery. I find the relative silence of the seg coupled with it's form factor to be perfect for observing wildlife.
-segsurfer

OregonForester 08-04-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginaway (Post 197483)

Out on a glide the other day and found myself without my trusty lighter to ignite a cigar for the trip home. I look in the bag and find some "light anywhere" matches.

Suffice it to say the cargo plates make an excellent strike pad for the matches and with one flick of the wrist, the cigar smoke started wafting skyward and the glide home was sweet.

That's an abuse of the cargo plates. Properly cared for, those plates will easily haul one box of "adult beverages" each, for a very long time!

Use your zipper, man!

doctorkurtschleg 08-04-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

WOW! That is great! I thought that Segway's were not permitted in the National Parks, but looks like they lightened up finally! Awesome!

KSagal 08-04-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonForester (Post 197522)
That's an abuse of the cargo plates. Properly cared for, those plates will easily haul one box of "adult beverages" each, for a very long time!

Use your zipper, man!

Great advice, but I fear you may be talking to a 'button fly' crowd!

jgbackes 08-04-2009 11:30 PM

Segway in Yosemite

Check with the park before you go. I have to get a disabled placard to use my segway in the park.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorkurtschleg (Post 197533)
WOW! That is great! I thought that Segway's were not permitted in the National Parks, but looks like they lightened up finally! Awesome!

team222badbrad 08-05-2009 12:24 AM

The other day I spotted an eagle in the backyard!

I also frequently sneak up on bunnies in the backyard.

My favorite thing is knowing that I'm always doing a wheelie :p

JohnM 08-05-2009 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgbackes (Post 197543)
Check with the park before you go. I have to get a disabled placard to use my segway in the park.

Yes, check first.

From Use of Segways by Persons with Disabilities in the National Park System, http://www.nps.gov/policy/Segway_memo.pdf:
Quote:

The NPS has been studying this situation and has been reviewing policies and practices of other Federal agencies. We have also been advised that the Department of Justice Disability Rights Section is currently studying this issue and we expect further guidance from them in the future. At the present time, we have not established a Servicewide position on allowing this device when used by individuals with disabilities as their mobility aide. We believe that there are places where it can and should be allowed, while there may be other places where, due to safety issues or resource management issues, it should not be allowed. In order to evaluate the long-term effect of this issue and to assess the impacts on the diverse settings represented throughout the National Park System, the NPS has decided to temporarily allow each park superintendent to establish their own interim policies and practices regarding the use of Segways by people with disabilities in their particular park.

Bob.Kerns 08-05-2009 08:03 AM

This search will find the relevant policies for many of the parks. Not Yosemite, though.

http://tinyurl.com/nps-segway

Seginaway 08-05-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonForester (Post 197522)

Use your zipper, man!

It's true. There is no doubt that the cargo plates are multi-use structures.

I've also been seen around town with one case strapped to each plate a number of times. Although it does increase the difficulty of the glide as weight shift can be unpredictable and the restricted leg space does hamper movement.

On the other point, I prefer to keep flame(s) away from the front of my pants.

I wonder what other uses the Cargo Plates can perform?

What's your favorite thing on a Segway?

MJEdelman 08-05-2009 11:18 AM

Cigars and Gliding...

Quote:

I always keep a spare lighter and cutter in my bag so that I can always have a cigar when I glide. I also have a cigar holder on my accessory bar.

Several people have commented to me that they know it's me on the Segway when they see the cigar smoke :-)

Seginaway 08-05-2009 01:12 PM

Another faorite thing . . .

Glidin' through gas/petrol stations and doing wheelies and circling the gas pumps with a smile on my face. Of course, all of this is done in a manner that does not disturb commerce and / or cause a public nuisance.

Mostly, the response is "Yeah" the price of gas is too high.

By the way, do Segways qualify for the "cash for clunkers" wealth transfer?

Lily Kerns 08-05-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginaway (Post 197573)

By the way, do Segways qualify for the "cash for clunkers" wealth transfer?

Nah! they are not gas guzzlers...

Seginaway 08-05-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily Kerns (Post 197574)

Nah . . . you trade in the gas guzzler for a Segway, get $4,500 wealth transfer as the 400 mpg (equivalent) far exceeds the plan's requirement.

Makes the cost of a new Segway VERY attractive.

Lily Kerns 08-05-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginaway (Post 197575)
Nah . . . you trade in the gas guzzler for a Segway, get $4,500 wealth transfer as the 400 mpg (equivalent) far exceeds the plan's requirement.

Makes the cost of a new Segway VERY attractive.

Do you know of any dealer up to that challenge? <G>

Seginaway 08-05-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily Kerns (Post 197576)

I wish. I'd be interested in an I2 at $4,500 lower.

Seginaway 08-05-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily Kerns (Post 197576)

Forget $4,500, I'd be interested in an I2 at $1,500 less, perhaps even $740.

No offense to Dealers, your hands are tied, but if the Gov't want to promote and subsidize items and jumpstart the economy, why only autos, do it for any means of transportation, or for that matter, anything at all.

The Segway is my primary means of transportation 90% of the time. Think what it would do if everyone you saw on the road had a SMILE instead of a grimace.

KSagal 08-05-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seginaway (Post 197578)
Forget $4,500, I'd be interested in an I2 at $1,500 less, perhaps even $740.

No offense to Dealers, your hands are tied, but if the Gov't want to promote and subsidize items and jumpstart the economy, why only autos, do it for any means of transportation, or for that matter, anything at all.

The Segway is my primary means of transportation 90% of the time. Think what it would do if everyone you saw on the road had a SMILE instead of a grimace.

The only reason that the current administration is offering my tax dollars for people to buy cars, is because they co-own Government Motors with the Autoworkers Union... It is either give that union my tax dollars thru the cash for clunkers or by another 'stimulus' handout...

They don't own Segway, so they are less motivated to help there...

Bob.Kerns 08-06-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily Kerns (Post 197574)

Nor clunkers!

lilnyc 08-07-2009 09:45 AM

I have owned a bike, rollerblades and scooters. The Segway by FAR provides the best experience.

Unlike the others, I am able to glide slowly up and DOWN steep hills in the park. Unlike with skates, I don't have to worry about tripping and falling or my personal safety (as much).

One lady in the park who claimed to be a former partner with Segway (in some way) said that I should "get a car." I wanted to ask her if I would be able to ride IN THE PARK in my car. LOL. No.

I do however enjoy it most during early hours when the least amount of people are out. Otherwise, you have to be so cautious (like a driver) that the enjoyment is depleted...at least for me.

Five-Flags 08-07-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

And all this time we've been saying that Segways are non-polluting.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whoops, almost fell into the trap of blaming the machine, not the rider...<evil grin> :) :) :)

OregonForester 08-07-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSagal (Post 197585)
The only reason that the current administration is offering my tax dollars for people to buy cars, is because they co-own Government Motors with the Autoworkers Union... It is either give that union my tax dollars thru the cash for clunkers or by another 'stimulus' handout...

They don't own Segway, so they are less motivated to help there...

Don't you just love paying taxes so that others can buy new cars?
Sorry, but I don't. Not at all.

I just wonder how many "clunker" defaults there will be in the next 12 months.

Bob.Kerns 08-07-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonForester (Post 197760)
Don't you just love paying taxes so that others can buy new cars?
Sorry, but I don't. Not at all.

I just wonder how many "clunker" defaults there will be in the next 12 months.

Buying cars doesn't feel so nice -- but just so you can feel a bit better:
  • At least you won't have to breath their exhaust.
  • At least that's money that won't be going to hostile nations.
  • At least those low-mileage clunkers won't be helping drive up the price of gas.
  • At least that's less tax money you'll be paying in unemployment.
  • At least somebody got a new car out of the deal. Vs. no new car for unemployment.

Note: I'm not really supporting the plan. I'd go about it differently. But at least if it is costing you, say $100 in taxes, you aren't all of $100 in the hole if you look at the big picture.

I think "clunker defaults" will be relatively low, because of the tightening of the credit markets. After all, that did help precipitate the crisis.

How would I go about it? Well, if you're going to do it, fund it with a tax on clunkers. Much more economically efficient. You get a bigger economic incentive for a given amount of wealth transfer, and the cost is born by those imposing the societal cost of the clunker.