SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Minipro with Parkinson's - Am I Dreaming? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35521)

Tremors2 02-15-2018 10:25 AM

Minipro with Parkinson's - Am I Dreaming?

This is my first post to the group!

I am 70 yrs old and somewhat disabled by Parkinson's. That is, without a cane, I walk like a drunken sailor but I'm OK just standing still.

I have been considering a Minipro with handlebar as a way to continue enjoying long walks with my wife.

I have been unsuccessful at finding a Ninebot dealer who has one with handlebars to try out.

I would be grateful for any of your thoughts or experiences.

I was focusing on the Minipro for reasons of portability.

Sincere thanks,
T2 - Orange County, CA

plumber802 02-16-2018 08:34 AM

Good morning T2.I too have difficulty with mobility due to MS.Although I have not tried a Mini Pro,my concern would be with the smaller diameter wheels being able to handle uneven surfaces such as curb transitions and areas that are not paved.I own a i2SE and am considering a Mini Pro (with a "lean steer") for the same reasons as you mainly for ease of transportation.
If you purchase through Amazon you have 30 days to return it for a full refund no questions asked.I have watched lots of youtube videos on the Mini Pro to feel confident that it could be a viable alternative to the full sized Segway.

plumber802 02-16-2018 08:36 AM

BTW...Welcome to the forum and please be sure to come back and share your thoughts on what you decide to do.

Tremors2 02-16-2018 10:48 AM

Thanks for the reply plumber802.

I was thinking of getting the Minipro from More4mini with the hybrid tires which I believe are over 1-inch larger and may help with pavement cracks, twigs, etc.

In any case, I'm going to wear a ridiculous amount of padding and protective gear, especially while learning.

I will be sure to report back as this project comes together.

Wishing you the best,

T2

plumber802 02-16-2018 06:00 PM

The More4mini "Scout Edition" must be the one you are getting.Looks impressive with the aggressive tires and grab handles which will make it easier to load and unload from a vehicle.Are you getting the handlebar as well?

Tremors2 02-17-2018 10:33 AM

I am looking at the "Hybrid Edition" from More4Mini.

Yes, it comes with handlebar, kickstand and cell phone holder. I could buy the Scout frame later for $169. I think it just bolts on.

If I find that I absolutely can't ride the MiniPro because of the Parkinson's, I might just buy a Hoverseat for $79 and turn it into a go cart!

Now I just need to figure out how to mount a cane on the thing...

T2

plumber802 02-18-2018 07:41 AM

You may be able to buy a broom handle clip/clips and somehow attach it to the handlebar.

plumber802 02-18-2018 07:42 AM

Maybe like these:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...gaAkoSEALw_wcB

Tremors2 02-18-2018 10:08 AM

Very good idea! The "cane" I use to get around is really a lightweight adjustable trekking pole.

The MiniPro should be here around the 26th.

Amazon is selling the MiniPro "2018" Edition now for under $400. Two reasons I didn't get it:

1. The 2018 Edition is really a downgrade with smaller battery.

2. I understand it can be fairly difficult for a non-mechanic like me to change the tires and fenders (hybrid tires = larger fenders).

If I were younger or more able bodied, I would have done it myself and saved the money.

I also guess I will have to educate myself regarding any local Segway laws or ordinances limiting its use. I know nothing about the ADA laws, etc.

Heck, I don't even have a handicapped parking pass yet, but I'm going to get one!

Cheers,
T2

plumber802 02-19-2018 12:00 PM

Yes,my "cane" is a trekking pole as well.I still have not investigated a way to mount my trekking pole to my lean steer without drilling holes.