SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Charging port (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35455)

dmurphy 01-02-2018 11:18 AM

Charging port

So as I look at my i2 SE, I notice the plastic door covering the charging port is missing. This appears quite common; does anyone actually ever replace these? Are they "just" cosmetic or help with water resistance?

Just polling the audience at this point ;)

MagiMike 01-02-2018 11:57 AM

Never replaced mine

My cover port broke off very early. I never bothered to replace it and have not had any problems. I think it does help with water proofing but I never take mine into standing water and get out of the rain as soon as possible.

I have seen some people make a cheep replacement by cutting off just the end of a power cord and inserting it in the space. Of course you must take it out and replace it with an intact power cord when you want to charge. :rolleyes:

Don M 01-02-2018 12:41 PM

That door was missing from both of our I2's when we bought them. I think they remove the doors on purpose on many Seg tour rental machines because they're charging them several time per day and the doors can be a PITA

I bought new console covers for our Segs, mainly because I wanted the doors and they don't sell just the doors. Think I hunted around until I found the console covers for about $25 each

Don

dmurphy 01-03-2018 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagiMike (Post 242439)
My cover port broke off very early. I never bothered to replace it and have not had any problems. I think it does help with water proofing but I never take mine into standing water and get out of the rain as soon as possible.

I have seen some people make a cheep replacement by cutting off just the end of a power cord and inserting it in the space. Of course you must take it out and replace it with an intact power cord when you want to charge. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 242440)
That door was missing from both of our I2's when we bought them. I think they remove the doors on purpose on many Seg tour rental machines because they're charging them several time per day and the doors can be a PITA

I bought new console covers for our Segs, mainly because I wanted the doors and they don't sell just the doors. Think I hunted around until I found the console covers for about $25 each

Don

Thanks guys! I like the idea of making a power cord plug; anything to keep the water out is a Good Thing (tm) in my book. Goodness knows I've got plenty of power cords around here - one can make the ultimate sacrifice ...

... or, I get a new console cover. Now that I shipped it back to the seller to fix the charging issue, we'll see what the situation is... they may swap it for another unit - still TBD.

terryp 01-04-2018 09:47 PM

Sounds like an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer. A snug-fitting plug with a handle to pull it out.

dmurphy 01-05-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryp (Post 242462)
Sounds like an opportunity for someone with a 3D printer. A snug-fitting plug with a handle to pull it out.

Hmm.... a friend-of-a-friend is pretty handy with a 3D printer. Maybe I'll have him make one for me as a prototype. Great idea!

Seginaway 01-08-2018 11:07 AM

Thanks MagiMike . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagiMike (Post 242439)

Trigger is 12 years old now with over 12K miles and the cover was useless from the beginning and hasn't been around for 11 3/4 years. Trigger goes through rain storms, standing and running water on a regular basis and I've never had a problem with the charging port.

Nonetheless, a power cord is about to be sacrificed as I have too many and it sounds like a great idea to add some additional protection. Besides, if I leave a few inches of cord on the end of the plug, Trigger will now have a tail!!!!

Thanks MagiMike.