SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Insurance (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=38810)

lastephenson 09-17-2020 01:09 PM

Insurance

How do you get your insurance company to pay for your Segway?

airdale 09-21-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastephenson (Post 247683)
How do you get your insurance company to pay for your Segway?

Pay for?....Or insure?....Think when I looked a few companies would insure them.

lastephenson 09-22-2020 03:32 PM

How do you get your health Insurance company to pay for your Segway? I suffer from multiple sclerosis.

dale@thecoys.net 09-22-2020 05:53 PM

If you can get your physician to prescribe a Segway, then insurance MIGHT pay something.

Civicsman 09-23-2020 09:29 AM

As I recall, some insurance policies may pay for “durable medical equipment”. However, a Seg does not qualify for that definition. Segway specifically avoided the medical market, and the extensive testing that is required for approval as a medical device. (At least, it USED to be required. Hard to know, anymore, with the actions being implemented by what currently passes for “government”. Currently, those with existing medical conditions, or even those who are just older, are written off as defective; not worthy of governmental consideration).

Getting insurance to pay for a motorized wheelchair is probably easier than getting them to pay for a Seg. Check with your insurance company to see what your policy allows for your situation.

Also keep in mind that riding a Seg requires a level of control and, importantly, personal balance, that some people may not have. The machine stays upright, but the rider has to be able to stand (or sit, with a SegSeat) and control small shifts of weight to control the machine.

airdale 09-25-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civicsman (Post 247698)
As I recall, some insurance policies may pay for “durable medical equipment”. However, a Seg does not qualify for that definition. Segway specifically avoided the medical market, and the extensive testing that is required for approval as a medical device. (At least, it USED to be required. Hard to know, anymore, with the actions being implemented by what currently passes for “government”. Currently, those with existing medical conditions, or even those who are just older, are written off as defective; not worthy of governmental consideration).

Getting insurance to pay for a motorized wheelchair is probably easier than getting them to pay for a Seg. Check with your insurance company to see what your policy allows for your situation.

Also keep in mind that riding a Seg requires a level of control and, importantly, personal balance, that some people may not have. The machine stays upright, but the rider has to be able to stand (or sit, with a SegSeat) and control small shifts of weight to control the machine.

I belive you are correct....I think we had a thread or two on this many years ago?

Don M 09-27-2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Civicsman (Post 247698)

I agree. Anyone who doesn't have a good sense of balance and excellent muscle control would more than likely injure themselves trying to ride a Seg. It looks much easier than it actually is and *most* Segway tour companies won't accept first time riders over age 65 . . . . probably because their insurance company says it must be so

Don