PDA

View Full Version : Segway Suspension

Chapinville
06-08-2005, 01:47 AM
Has anyone noticed on the Centaur that the wheels are not solid, the inserts on the rims are cut out?
I have an intern working with me this summer and he told me that as a senior project they had worked on suspension ideas for a Segway. One of the things they did was cut the inserts out of the wheels to make them more giving / suspension like. Any thoughts, anyone heard of any thing like this? (before I cut the inserts out of my spare wheels)

http://members.cox.net/katelyn.moore/segwaywheelsmall.jpg

bystander
06-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Just my two cents here, not completely sure I'm right about this.

I think you'll find that when the suspension is "more giving" there will be a proportional reduction in range.

I don't think the five nearly round holes in the wheels (what you seem to be calling the "inserts on the rims") contribute much to the suspension stiffness. As I recall, filling in these holes was a safety related issue.

Also, when making the suspension "more giving" the lateral stability can be affected. Like when you glide over a lumpy sidewalk and the control shaft shakes left and right. With a less stiff suspension the shaking can get worse.

One of the advantages of the tweel is that the up/down suspension and left/right suspension characteristics can be designed-in with more independence from each other. Formerly, designers had to make compromises between the two types of stability.

The tweel seems to be taking it's time to market, so please feel free to tinker around with alternate solutions.

Sunday
06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
How about an elastomer insert at the center of the wheel? The axle bolt would pass through this elastomer bumper, and provide some suspension when sufficient force is encountered to deform the elstomer. Just an idea. Personally, it looks like the XT solves the problem of a softer ride.

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

JaredHT
06-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Chapinville,

Are you talking about these wheels:
http://www.toutsurlesegway.com/galeries/segway-centaur/slides/tech1104segway_03_700x500.jpg

I have these wheels on my Retro Segway here in the showroom, a Segway HT using V1 and prototype parts.

I can tell you I've noticed no difference in the ride that I could attribute to the removed wheel scallops. However the rubber on the Retro Segway wheels is supposedly different, so there is a slightly different feel I can attribute to that. Also, you have to understand that LLC filled in the wheel scallops because they are dangerous for you (easy to bet obstructions caught in your wheels) and dangerous for anyone who may put a finger or toe in the hole (they're vegematic wheels and we all know that people can and will touch everything on a Segway).

I hope this addresses your question and helps. If you need any further info on the wheels please let me know.

Also, there is a member here (Broo, if memory serves...sorry if I'm wrong) that rides on these wheels. Perhaps he can offer some opinion.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

austin@SOH
06-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Also the new i180 does not have the inserts in the wheels anymore, however there are covers that just snap in to fill in the holes. I notice no difference between the two wheels.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215