PDA

View Full Version : NY State Assembly - S05517

JohnM
06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Last week the New York State Assembly introduced a new EPAMD bill, S05517, and sent it off to the rules committee. The text is here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S05517&sh=t

JohnM
If riding 2 hours is fun, then riding 20 hours is 10 times more fun.
RUSA #235

Itsi Atkins
06-06-2005, 09:47 AM
thanks John for your support of New York EPAMD bill S 05517. I looks like it might have a chance to be moved out of rules and go forth for a vote this summer. Let's Hope. I appreciate you letting the chat member know the updated information.
best
itsi

JohnM
06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, I never went so far as to say I support S05517, although if this is the best that NY can come up with after several attempts then its better than nothing. The main flaw I see is that it does not give you free access to the sidewalks unless you are disabled: "PROVIDED, HOWEVER, IF THE OPERATOR OF THE ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICE OR A RIDER THEREUPON IS DISABLED, AS DEFINED BY STATE OR FEDERAL LAW,THE ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICE MAY BE RIDDEN ON THE SIDEWALK." If you aren't disabled, S05517 says that cities and towns "MAY, BY LOCAL LAW, AUTHORIZE THE USE OF ELECTRIC PERSONAL ASSISTIVE MOBILITY DEVICES ON SIDEWALKS". All the other state EPAMD laws say you can use the sidewalks unless the local laws say otherwise. New York State is saying in S05517 that you have no right to the sidewalks unless the local law says so specifically. Its a fine point, but your legal rights to the sidewalk are largely left in limbo by this bill.

JohnM
RUSA #235

Itsi Atkins
06-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes we know, but to have the state legal is a big advancement. The City can op in with local City Council vote and we feel this will happen only after our work in getting the City support is accomplished. We have made progress during the intro 98 scooter ban. So we do know who needs to be educated on our use. I hope that once the Senate has passed it that we do not have a repeat of the pass. That the house will also pass it and become law. We still have a long way to go but public and media support is necessary. Please try to support this bill, it is not perfect but a change for the better. thanks itsi

JohnM
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
But Itsi, Segways in NY state will not be sidewalk legal under this bill, only street legal. This is playing right into the hands of groups like TA and NYBC who want EPAMDs treated as bicycles. Strengthening the arguement is the fact that the wording of S05517 is lifted straight out NY state's bicycle laws. Even if your local NYC City Council votes to extend sidewalk privleges to EPAMDs, that still leaves every other city and town that has no strong chorus of Segway supporters in legal limbo. Hooray for NYC, tough luck Buffalo.

This law is great for those people who want Segways treated as bicycles. It does nothing for people who want Segways treated as pedestrians. Every state that has passed an EPAMD law has made the case for statewide sidewalk use and New York can do better than this half way measure. To blindly support S05517 is to play directly into the hands of your opponents and sell out the rest of the NY state.

John(the loyal opposition)M
RUSA #235

Itsi Atkins
06-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks John but we need to move in steps with NY and NYC. It is like having two States trying to live under one set of laws. We hope not to blindly support but encourage NY State towns and villlages to go after local permission for sidewalk use where they are needed and it is desired. The disabled are ok, and many of the towns have safe streets and paths which can give Segway riders total access. The Key word is Safe. Think how miles of sidewalk are outside of NYC that are necessary to travel vs. streets.
We also think that LLC seems to be supporting street use by the new products.
The XT, the Centaur, are for streets. When the P or a folding P with new batteries are being sold, then the urban sidewalk use will again be an issue. It seems this is not a top marketing issue.

Itsi Atkins
06-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Read the Senate bill: S05517
Read the Assemby bill: AO8711
Please contact the sponsors and write to the members of the Senate and House.
Thank You.

mister_bigtime
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Any one know status of this bill? Only 1 day left this session!

JohnM
06-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Status here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=S05517
And here: http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08711

JohnM
RUSA #235