PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on XT's

rickob
06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Hello all,

Sure would appreciate your opinions. I ordered an XT in March for my wife’s birthday in mid-June. There have been delays and our local dealer in Bend, Oregon has not received it yet. I called Segway last week and they told me there have been supply issues and that’s why they’re late. My question is is this on the level or have there been some bugs to work out. I’m asking because I found one in Portland which I can pick up in time for the birthday. Or should I wait for the latest one off the line? Thanks for your opinions.

Rick

yosgof
06-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I understand it has to do with short supply of LiIon batteries.

The delivery of my I180 also gets postponed because of this reason.

My advice is, if can grab one, just do it.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

austin@SOH
06-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Rick, the software and bugs are not what they are working out. It is definately a supply issue that is causing the delay. We have an XT for demos and it is really a wonderful machine. I do want to say that if you plan to use it on the sidewalk, please purchase the i180 though. The XT is a large machine and is just too aggressive for the standard sidewalk. Segway LLC has recommended that it not be used on the sidewalk also.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215

maran747
06-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Rick:

If you bought it for a farm or ranch setting, I would stick with the XT, but if its mostly for cement sidewalks or paved roads, I agree with Austin, you might look at the i180s.
I heard too its because the batteries supply is the problem cant get enough of them. As for bugs needed to be worked out, the i180's or the XT is a newer version with the new OS, so if anything, it would be an advanced model than the current HTs.
So, why do you want an XT?

maran747

rickob
06-05-2005, 07:33 PM
[quote]Originally posted by maran747

Rick:

If you bought it for a farm or ranch setting, I would stick with the XT, but if its mostly for cement sidewalks or paved roads, I agree with Austin, you might look at the i180s.
I heard too its because the batteries supply is the problem cant get enough of them. As for bugs needed to be worked out, the i180's or the XT is a newer version with the new OS, so if anything, it would be an advanced model than the current HTs.
So, why do you want an XT?

maran747

Thanks for your input. We just recently moved onto 51 acres. Lots of off road possibilities plus a 1/4 mile long paved driveway. My wife has always wanted a Segway and it seems the XT would be the best fit for our situation.

Rick

rickob
06-05-2005, 07:40 PM
[quote]Originally posted by austin@SOH

Rick, the software and bugs are not what they are working out. It is definately a supply issue that is causing the delay. We have an XT for demos and it is really a wonderful machine. I do want to say that if you plan to use it on the sidewalk, please purchase the i180 though. The XT is a large machine and is just too aggressive for the standard sidewalk. Segway LLC has recommended that it not be used on the sidewalk also.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215

Thanks Austin,

We live on acreage and have a 1/4 mile long driveway so I think it's a good fit for us. That's good news that the delays really are the results of supply issues.

Cheers. Hope to post lots more when we get it.

Rick

rickob
06-05-2005, 07:44 PM
[quote]Originally posted by yosgof

I understand it has to do with short supply of LiIon batteries.

The delivery of my I180 also gets postponed because of this reason.

My advice is, if can grab one, just do it.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

Thanks Yossi,

I love getting the answer I really wanted.

Rick

Stan671
06-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Segway has frozen the software code and mechanical specs on the XT's and the newer i-series machines. That is not a concern at all.

Segway is indeed having supply chain problems with the Li-Ion batteries. They are getting the new HT and XT machines out the door as fast as the new batteries come in the door.

Stan Dobrowski

Deuce
06-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Thinking about buying 2 segways, for me and the wife, but not sure what model to get. We'll be carrying it in the motorhome when we go to campgrounds. Typically the campground roads will be gravel, dirt, paved, etc. Will also be riding on grass (probably hilly at times). I'm thinking the XT will best suit my needs, but they are not recomended on pavement (sidewalks). I'll be doing some sidewalk riding also. Is it just because they are larger in size, or what? I want to make the right choice the first time.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Stewbonz
06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Get the Segway 180 with the optional traction tires.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Brooster
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Yep, that sounds like the right call. Welcome to SegwayChat Bob.

Brooster

Segway of St. Louis
06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
The XT works fine on pavement and is very comfortable. It is however too aggressive looking for the sidewalk. As long as you are going to be on your own property for the most part or I think for another person here in camp grounds with lots of space, I love the XT. It is soooo comfortable!

The only drawback is it will not have near the range of the I180 as it looses range turning those bigger tires. And the I180 will really do "most" everything you both are wanting to do.

Either way just "do it"

Jeff Bach
Segway of St. Louis
636-754-4000

Stan671
06-05-2005, 11:26 PM
I got a chance to ride the XT for a while yesterday in New York. Because of the large and aggressive tires, I found it to be less responsive in turns than my i-series. I also dislike the grey bars/handles above the gearboxes because I was always rubbing the sides of my legs against them. I would image that this would produce a sore spot after an hour of off-road riding.

I do like the smooth ride and confidence it instills going over rough terrain. Wonderful.

I still prefer my i-series. The XT is a special purpose HT that I, personally, don't have reason to purchase. I would have to say that an i-series with the Li-Ion batteries has to be the best and most versatile HT right now.

Stan Dobrowski

Mr_Laurenzano
06-06-2005, 03:21 AM
Bugs????????????????????????

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

kaufmanb
06-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the delay, but it is all supply. Segway produces "X" amount of each model before they switch gears. they are trying to fill all the orders and the XT's were one of the first ones off the assembly line. They will produce more, it will cycle around.

Brian

Brian Kaufman-Butler
Segway of Cleveland
216-241-6100
www.GoSegway.Net

BJ
06-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Deuce
Welcome to Segchat. I would go for the I180 for your use in RVs. They are easier to handle and they can handle most terrain with the geatest of ease.
BJ

Dragan
06-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Welcome!As other have said, the 180 with ET tires is your best bet. My wife and I are R.V.ers as well, and have taken p series, 170s, 180s and the XT on trips at various times. While the XT is by far the softest ride, you're going to find it a pain in the A$$ for loading and unloading in a MH (the tire size is problematic with many basement storage areas) and while it's great in a campground, if you want to go exploring a town, they stand a much greater chance of being visually offensive to the local populace. The 180 will take you places that will surprise you, and it's still got "uptown" manners for getting around town.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

JaredHT
06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Bob,

Drop me a line and I'll bring one or two over for some hands-on comparison.

Thanks.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

Deuce
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Another question. Can the I80 be purchased with the traction tires instead of the regular ones?
Bob

Itsi Atkins
06-07-2005, 12:47 AM
I think the xt should be sold to John Deere as part of their brand.

Sunday
06-07-2005, 02:55 AM
Has anyone here actually measured the range they get from riding an XT on various surfaces? I would be very intersted in knowing how it does on pavement and trails. So far, all I've heard is that the ride is soft, and it is stated that the expected off road range will be 10 miles.

I am hoping to (finally!) get a Segway this summer. If all goes well, I will be using it to commute six miles each way along a mixed density trail: The trail consists of areas of packed dirt, loose scree (eroded limestone), sand/river rock mix, and one area that has a very steep rise of about 30 degrees or so, as the trail shortcuts over an embankment and continues along the side of the highway.

Any objective information on the XT would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Stewbonz
06-07-2005, 04:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by JaredHT

Bob,

Drop me a line and I'll bring one or two over for some hands-on comparison.

Thanks.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

An offer that can't be refused.
Let the customer make an educated decision.
Great service !

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Stan671
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Off road riding uses up more energy from the batteries than riding on smooth pavement no matter which HT you are riding. Segway LLC had the XT in mind for a while, but with the NiMH batteries, the reduced range from off-road just made such a machine impractical. When the Li-Ion batteries came along with double capacity, this made the XT practical.

Estimating range on smooth surfaces is an educated guess at best. Estimating range off road is more of an art than a science.

Mark, whether you get an XT or an HT, it certainly sounds like a model with Li-Ion batteries would be your best bet for 6 miles of that kind of terrain. Whether an XT is your best choice is not clear, but it sounds like it might be.

Stan Dobrowski