PDA

View Full Version : Pet Parade

fathertime
06-04-2005, 10:44 PM
It was a beautiful morning in LaGrange, Illinois (a Chicago Suburb) today and, it just so happens, the day of the annual Pet Parade. Tom Piette (Sales Manager for Segway of Chicago) and I had the distinct pleasure of training two of LaGrange's finest police officers for Segway duty at the parade. They completed their training last week and were ready to go for the annual event bright and early this morning.
Tom and I were along on the glide for fun and support. This turned out to be a great event for all involved and our officers were having a ball. We encountered many dogs and cats, some llamas, several horses, and lots of Shriners on flying carpets, and mechanized camels. The animals never gave the HTs an second thought as we glided through crowds of animals and their owners. The Shriners wanted to know all about it and we are making plans of our own for a precision Segway team for next year.
I mention this because there were thousands of folks from all over the Chicagoland area and many police departments from other villages that were called in to help out.
Not once did we hear a negative comment. We were waved at and heard the word "cool" many times.
Many folks were interested as were other police departments and we fielded the usual questions with great delight. It was truly a pleasure to see the Segway recognized and admired for the innovative personal transportation device that it is.
I just wanted to share this with any of you that are still encountering the nasty comments since I feel that those will be few and far between as more and more minds are opened to the true possibilities of the Segway Human Transporter.

THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGING [^]:D[/:)]:)[:P];)[:O]

JR

lwillis
06-04-2005, 11:17 PM
A small town near us also had a local parade today. Has a western theme to is. The town is close enough that my son and I glided over. We were checking out some of the entries in the line up. Next thing I know everyone is saying that we should be in the parade and put us toward the front. As we glided by the reviewing stand the announcer called us over and asked "What are those things?" over the PA system. We said "SEGWAYS". And the announcer said "Folks, we have 2 Segways joining us today"! Also lots of waves, and comments of "cool", and "How does that work". Also heard several comments on "I've got to get me one of those things". Lots of fun for my son and I. It would have been handy to have the facts cards some of you have mentioned on previous posts to hand out.

Maybe times are changing!!

Les Willis
Looking for a glide

Brooster
06-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Attaboy Jim! Hopefully a certain police chief (or two) is eating a little tasty crow tonight.

You may have been able to see or meet my old friend Tommy Edwards, who I believe was Grand Marshall of the parade.

I agree that the negative comments are getting fewer and farther between here in the Chicago area. I had two nice long Seg rides today, home from and back to the auto mechanic's, and finally got the first truly negative comment I've had in quite some time.

"That's so pathetic," a man said as I slowly passed him as he was walking with his wife or girlfriend. Same old jealousy thing, no doubt. I just leaned into it and was gone without a word. On the same ride, I had two carloads of people yell "Segway!" and give me the thumbs up!

Congrats on a great day for the Seg!

Brooster

X-man
06-05-2005, 01:55 PM
As with all comments, consider the souce, Broo.
As Confucious said. "Man should but brain in gear before before moving mouth"
or maybe it was Charlie Chan! ;)
http://bythelake.com/seg/tonguewag.wav
Edited to add sound clip.
Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

Stewbonz
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
What no elephants?

Cute picture of a logo my nephew made.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/youngjarvis/detail?.dir=/7d3a&.dnm=2e89.jpg&.src=ph

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Brooster
06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by X-man

As with all comments, consider the souce, Broo.
As Confucious said. "Man should but brain in gear before before moving mouth"

Yeah, he had his butt-brain in gear, alright. :D

Brooster