PDA

View Full Version : Segways Critisized.

drolsinatas
06-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Anyone feel like sharing what negative things people have to say about the Segway. I know price is the biggest one, and here and there people say it will never be accepted and eventually regulated to the street.

I've heard it's for rich poeple too lazy to walk.
I've heard it's a waiste of money, and I could have bought a car or a motorcycle instead.
I've heard that a bicycle makes more sense if I wanted to save money.

I have arguments for why these are all wrong and misconceptions, but you all obviously know them already. Are there anymore negative remarks out there? What should I be ready for?

P.S> I'm not worried, but I do consider myself part of the crusade to bring this improvement on living to the poeple. I feeel like if everyone had one, everyone would have better days and be a lot nicer of people, and society would be more pleasant. IF it makes us feel so good, why wouldn't it make others feel good?

This thing rules.

pam
06-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I think you've just about covered them all. What I've found is that if people are "critical types" they'll find something to criticize about angels. I've learned to just ignore the ones who make comments about the Segway, because for them the issue is not about learning anything, it's about trying to make themselves look important by being "superior" to something else.
Pam

austin@SOH
06-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I think I have heard all those remarks so far and inluding a couple others. There is a lot of question about safety and I get some like you are going to split your head open. Also the point that the machine is just an expensive toy, that seems to be the most prevelant. Since we are a dealer we try to give demo rides to these people that say these comments and so far I have found that is the best way to change their opinion.

Austin Colby (Austin@SOH)
Segway of Hagerstown
339 West Antietam Street
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Phone: (301) 766-0488 Mon-Fri 10am-6pm EST
Fax: (301) 766-0215

KennyG
06-04-2005, 12:58 PM
NOPE! How about the positive things... Over Memorial Day we took our RV and Segs to, St. Charles Missouri. The Segs fit beautifully in the lower bays of the RV. We spent a couple of days gliding the Katy Trail. We heard lots of comments, mostly positive, from "that thing is just cool!"; to "what is that thing?". People wanted to stop and talk and ask questions about them. One woman was insistent on knowing what there purpose was! I thought for a minute and said "FUN"! Some people enjoy bikes, some motorcycles, we enjoy our Segways! If people disagree with our views fine, they don't have to buy one - I certainly don't criticize someone for paying $80,000.00 for a Hummer! Remember life is too short to dwell on the negative!! By the way, the Segs worked beautifully on the hard packed limestone trail. We did however use caution when transitioning from the trail to cement.

KennyG
http://home.earthlink.net/~kenng/images/Warpaint1.jpg