PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest/funniest Story

KSagal
06-03-2005, 03:45 AM
I was at the post office today mailing a package.

The postal clerk at the window sees me often and we spoke of my segway which was outside.

The clerk at the next window stated that she sees a guy go by all the time on one. My clerk tells her that it is me. We both believe I am the only one in my little town with a seg.

She then goes on to tell me that "they" have invented a segway "trike".

I say, "what?" She goes on to tell me that there is a three wheeled segway. I told here that I did not think so, as the machine is self balancing, and a third wheel would not be needed. She insists that she saw one.

I told her of the Centaur. I went on to speak of it and it's two wheel balancing and it's four wheel action at speed. My guy and I speak of it's characteristics. We talk for a while longer about the seg and the centaur and Popular Science and more.

Then, clerk number two says, "Did you know that the seg was invented by a postal carrier that wanted it for his route?"

At this point, I told her of Dean Kamen, and that I was unaware of his resume. I was very polite and let her down as easily as I could, and informed them both with what facts I knew.

I just thought it was interesting and fun to hear her give me such details.

Anyone else have stories like these?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Sal
06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Karl,

I heard one man explaining the Seg to his wife behind me on a streetcorner once. Of course, the explanation was riddled with "geeeros, and sedgeway, and other uninitiated slang." Well, he comes to the part about who invented it and says, "Bill Gates and a team at Microsoft came up with the initial idea, which they later sold to someone [he] couldn't remember."

I HAD to turn around and politely disagree. It turned into a great demo for his wife. The man, couldn't "get it.

And, of course, there are those who claim to have gotten demos of the Segway at Pep Boys... and adamantly defend themselves when I say they were mistaken, and it wasn't a Segway they were riding.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

austin@SOH
06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I really want to see what the "Q" is like because we just had someone buy a P133 because supposively you cannot even take it down a hill. I thought it was interesting that they equipped the machine with all the lights and turn signals but I guess you have to do that for something that is not legal on the sidewalk.

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

Sal
06-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Austin, do a search for the "Q" scooter on these forums and you'll come across many, but there's one by Brucewright who offers an expansive review of the Q scooter when compared side by side with a Segway. There may also be a link to a video of the two.

Cheers!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Stan671
06-03-2005, 10:30 AM
About a year ago, I was riding my Segway HT in New York City and came across a small group of tourists from someplace in Europe. Once of the guys in the group said, "oh, yea, these things are all over Europe."

Stan Dobrowski

ElectraGlide
06-03-2005, 10:36 AM
One woman told me she thought the Segway was powered by a gasoline engine.....yep....there I was standing on the machine right in front of her and she wouldnt believe it was battery . I had to ask " Do you hear a gasoline engine? Do you see or smell exhaust?? ".
And yes...MANY people think the machine was invented FOR the post office!

Steve

Dragan
06-03-2005, 10:50 AM
I was gliding through a large home improvement centre, and turned down an aisle face to face with a very senior senior citizen using a walker ( I learned later she was 93) She saw me, stopped dead and asked "what the H**L is that?" I told it was a Segway, and she replied "I'm not stupid, I can read...what the H**L is it?" She asked a few questions, hobbled around it a bit, and finally said "get off it, I wanna drive it"

I obliged her, and gave her a demo. She got on the Seg, and within a minute was roaring up and down the aisle, with the speed limiter kicked in (yes, she was on the black key).

This went on for a couple of minutes, until a young man with a frantic look came rushing down the aisle waving his arms and proclaiming that she couldn't "tear around on that thing inside". She stopped and asked him who he was; the store manager, it turned out.

She told him that it was a very interesting machine, that she was test-driving it, and that she intended to continue doing so, turned and started off again. When he said that she couldn't ride it at that speed inside anymore, she stopped dead, whirled around and wheeled up to him nose to nose, leaned over and glared at him, said two words.."P**S OFF!", wheeled the opposite direction, and headed off doing exactly what she'd been doing.

He didn't know what to say, or do. He stood there and turned red, spluttered a bit, and then pretty much did what she had told him to do. It was hilarious! Very entertaining to see a crusty senior citizen put a self-important young fellow's ego in check.

I later went back and gave him a demo, explained the Segway, and apologized. He was quite gracious about it, all things considered. I've been back several times since without any recurrences of "senior moments"
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

wwhopper
06-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Get that woman's name - We need her around here! She would give some of these SC'ers a run for their money!

My funniest moment was when a little old lady stopped me at the Post Office and knew all about the Segway and wanted to see one in action.

After the demo, I left her and went down the block, where I ran in to a transvestite, who also was quite informed on the Segway and it's technology. Just then the little old lady walked by, and said, "Now I know why you have that - so you can talk to all the pretty girls!" and then walked on. What could I do or say at that point, all I could really do was smile, and continue my discussion about the Segway!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

Neelix
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I love the people who think they know more than we do.

A side note: Why do people say "Sedgeway"? What other word in the English language with an "consonant-e-g" makes the "edge" sound? You don't say "Pedges" for "Pegs", you don't say "Ledge" for "Leg", you don't say "Sedgement" for "Segment", you don't say "stedgeosauraus" for "stegosauraus" (okay, maybe that last one is a little obscure =)) This phenomenon confuses me; are people just really that dim-witted?

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

Stan671
06-03-2005, 11:35 AM
My brother-in-law insists on pronouncing it sedgeway. He'll ask me, "How's the Sedg? [rhymes with edge]".

:-(

Stan Dobrowski

ElectraGlide
06-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I also hear it pronounced "Sedge"way quite often. I'll have to think about that next time I'm GLIDGING on the SIDGEWALK !

Steve

Dragan
06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
me too. Sedgeway is pretty common. My Aunt calls it a "Sedgewick". No, I have no idea why, she just does.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

yosgof
06-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Karl,

The guy who sold me the Seg at Segway Israel told me Dean was Jewish.

As I don't know whether this is true I am not sure whether this "story" qualifies for this thread.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

Sal
06-03-2005, 12:38 PM
"Hey, look at that bicycle!"

Overheard several times in the past two years.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

wwhopper
06-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Maybe it sounds more eliteist if you say Sedgeway with a proper British Accent.

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

Mr. Protocol
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I didn't have an entry for the "Stupidest Segway Comment" contest at the Sacramento Segfest, but I got one just after I got home. "That's that thing they call...an Amway!"

Multi-level gliding, yes sir.

gbrandwood
06-03-2005, 05:07 PM
"Registration" is often shortened to "redge"- spelt REG. Reginold is also shortened to
"Redge" or Redgie! Go figure. What's stranger is the original word, segue, which should be spoken "seg-way" - even though it looks like you should say "seg"!

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

Stewbonz
06-03-2005, 08:29 PM
I get lots of interesting folks on my tour in Bangkok and hear quite a few stories during my 90 m inute rides.

The Caption Machine has one of my riders featured.

"The Royal Shiite Mounted Police, didn’t quite have the same pizazz as the Candians…"

http://www.captionmachine.com/archives/2005/05/25/zoom-zoom/

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

Tanner
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
I used to pronounce Segway "Seg-a-way". Not too far off from the real pronounciation.....

-Tanner

----------------
Tanner S.

Segway of St. Louis
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Most of those who can't pronounce Segway (or won't) suffer for Segnorance!!

Jeff Bach
Segway of St. Louis
636-754-4000

Zorba9
06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Whether tis Sedgeway or Segway is really of no Segnificance!

KOG

Zorba9.....

indycop
06-04-2005, 04:31 AM
I can't believe that i'm admiting this...just two days ago I heard a good one..."Hey!...Look at the Rascal!!!"

Brooster
06-04-2005, 01:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by indycop

I can't believe that i'm admiting this...just two days ago I heard a good one..."Hey!...Look at the Rascal!!!"

Now that IS a good one!

[8][:P]

Brooster

Brooster
06-04-2005, 02:15 PM
My all-time funniest story has to be this one ...

A little background for our newer members ... Many moons ago, back in the very early days of the Seg, a certain then-SegChat member had a now-infamous incident in a Washington, DC Metro (subway) station which caused the Seg to be temporarily banned from the Metro system. The person had tried to sit straight onto a bench from the Seg, and the Seg went shooting out onto the tracks which apparently resulted in trains being stopped until the Seg could be cleared.

Anyway, a little over two years ago one of our first local Chicago-area owners (who also shall remain nameless for purposes of this post) and I were at the Renaissance Hotel in Northbrook Illinois, hanging out and giving demos during one of the early LLC owner training or Ticket to Ride events (I forget which it was). We used to show up at a lot of those events just to meet the LLC people, other owners, etc.

So my friend (who was very nicely dressed) and I are goofing around on our Segs out in back of the hotel on this day, and we see this "park bench" off to the side of the sidewalk. There weren't any other people around at the time. We start talking about the Metro incident, and my friend says, "let me show you what so-and-so tried to do." He backs up and proceeds to "sit onto" the bench from a standing position on the Seg. Unbenownst to either of us, the bench wasn't anchored into the cement. The bench tips over backward, the Seg goes rocketing out from under him until it hits the electronic leash and falls on its 12.0 bag, and my buddy is a$$-over-teakettle and butt-up-in-the-air in the just-watered lawn, with water and grass stains all over his nice sport jacket.

"Well whaddya ya doin' down there?" I asked.

LOL ... it still makes me chuckle to think of it.

[8][:P]

Brooster

Stan671
06-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Brooster's story had me ROFL!!!

Stan Dobrowski

Nightline
06-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Went to eat brunch today, and saw a few senior citizens checking out my red i80 which was parked at a bike rack. One of the ladies said.. "it looks so futuristic".

I love it!!

------------------------
I love riding my Red i80
------------------------
Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it. - Maya Angelou

X-man
06-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I still like the time I rolled up to the drive in window of the old Pock and Poll McDonalds in Chicago and orded a coke. The look on the face of the cashier was indescribable.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

wwhopper
06-04-2005, 11:52 PM
"Hey!...Look at the Rascal!!!"

IndyCop - they would say that no matter if you were on a Segway or not.

You are a RASCAL!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member

indycop
06-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Thanks W...but which one?.....hehe

"""Darla: Alfalfa, this is a side of you I've never seen before!

Delivering Alfalfa's letter to Darla
Buckwheat: Dear Darla, I hate your stinking guts. You make me vomit. You're scum between my toes! Love, Alfalfa.

Uh Huh: Actually, I've always had a rather extensive vocabulary, not to mention a phenomenal grasp of grammar and a superlative command of syntax. I simply chose not to employ them."""

yosgof
06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
quote:superlative command of syntax???????

Its probably because I'm a foreigner.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg