PDA

View Full Version : Segway sounds like a dentist drill

Stewbonz
06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
I get a high pitched sound on a new 170, right side, even when pushing without starting.
Not too loud but different than my other machines.
Will it go away after break-in I wonder?
Sounds like a dentist drill motor.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

JaredHT
06-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Jeff,

Not entirely uncommon. You said it's new (as in under warranty)? It most likely will NOT go away, but shouldn't hurt anything either. The only fix I know of is a gearbox swap.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

skywalker2000
06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Wow~~
Jeff~~how do u do?....i am Tom from Hongkong....remember?
u got a new i170 for ur tour?
will u add XT and even GT to ur team??
it would be really nice to see a XT in thailand~~~

I love Segway and want it in Hong Kong~~!

Freddy
06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey Jeff
I got a new i-170 last August, had the same noise from the right wheel
We noticed, that we can barly hear it now if any at all
so we haven't worried about it
Just keep an ear on it
Freddy

X-man
06-02-2005, 11:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stewbonz

I get a high pitched sound on a new 170, right side, even when pushing without starting.
Not too loud but different than my other machines.
Will it go away after break-in I wonder?
Sounds like a dentist drill motor.

JEFF JARVIS

Not even close, Jeff old friend.
BTW - proper terminology is handpiece! [:0]
Open Wide.

Bob.

Where goeth I, goeth my Segway.

Dragan
06-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Jeff, I jsut had a customer in last week with a 170 making a high pitched noise from the right side as well. He said it had done so since he got it over a year ago, and that as his speed increased it went away, but was exactly the same now at low speed as it had been when new.

It puzzled me, since it was an almost rubber friction squeal, so we pulled the machine apart to try and isolate it. Using a stethoscope, we were able to narrow it down to the area of the head bearing area, directly behind the main drive output shaft. There was no bearing rumble that I could hear, which tells me nothing inside the bearing housing was worn out. Also, knowing how Adam tests and evaluates each machine at the factory, I can only assume that it is an irritation factor only, and not indicative of a serious problem. It is likely something that warrants a call to Segway though. I don't think you should have a noise like that from a machine as well-built as the Segway is.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Heino
06-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Hi Jeff,

I have a few machines and one of them is an i170 MB. This is the only machine that has the noise you describe, and also only on the right hand side.
I suspect it is a gearbox noise. Irritating but not alarming.
It's my only machine people hear coming.

On my p-series: "Take the long way home"

Sal
06-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Heino,

I don't know the exact nature of your sound, but I had an unusual "gear" sound on the left side of my machine. When I sent the machine in to be taken a look at, I was told I got a new left gearbox and motor. I would think that they did find something amiss.

Can you describe your sound, and maybe we can help you get something taken care of before it might become worse.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Heino
06-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Okay, here we go:
I hear a "dentist drill" kind of sound when I move the machine while turned of. When riding it the sound is almost always gone while at a steady pace or accelerating. But when I slow down (it seems actually when I tilt the platform backwards) the sound comes up. It is quite a loud sound which is actuallly best described as the sound the dentist makes when he is fumbling around in your mouth with one of those high speed drills.
The sound came after about a week of gentile use and never went away since. I've had quite some Segways under my hands and only this one makes this kind of noise. Took the wheels of to see if I could see some kind of dirt, but man my machine is clean!

On my p-series: "Take the long way home"

Stewbonz
06-10-2005, 09:08 PM
The "handpiece" sound went away with about 10 hours use.

JEFF JARVIS

xsegwayer
06-28-2005, 12:09 PM
The sound that you hear may be from the gears not being properly deburred after finishing or possibly a bad tooth form on one flank of a gear. The high pitch suggests input mesh. The burr may cause that tone in one direction when the helical gear shifts axially and the tooth edge comes into play. If it is an improper de-burr, it will probably wear away....bad tooth form will stick around though. This frequency generated also passes through the natural frequency of the upright post when at a running speed and can be felt as a shake in the handles.