PDA

View Full Version : Dually Adapters - product evaluation

Zorba9
06-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Got Itsi's dually adapters in this afternoon - these guys work great!
I put 2 pairs of studded "Mountaineers" and a skidplate on my 10.0 street HT and off I rode into the rain & mud. As I suspected before I got these, the wider stance that a double set of studded tires gives a standard HT - the BETTER traction and weight distribution when slogging thru mud. I own only one set of knobbies right now but plan to get another so I can pair them up for some soft sand/beach riding this summer out at Nags Head, NC. Meanwhile I have some more testing I want to do with my off-road M model seg with the duallies on it. I'll post pics of that one this weekend. Here are some pics from today.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1346956

KOG

Zorba9.....

ZoliHonig
06-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Key Zorba, does the mud / water splash off of the second set of wheels onto you??

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Zorba9
06-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Zoli there's not much of a "rooster tail" at the speeds you climb wet hills with, that applies to going thru 4" mud also!:) With standard ETT's on out in the road, the extra wheels are far enough outboard that the rooster tails wouldn't get you wet.

KOG

Zorba9.....

KSagal
06-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Do the extra wheels effect top speed on good terrain?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

jgassor
06-02-2005, 05:18 AM
Wouldn't this generate extra load on the 2hp motors? My understanding is that most of the time we only use about 1hp of our max 2hp motors. With the additional torque required to drive/balance the extra tires, would'nt this push closer to limitations of safety?

I imagine that range would also be reduced.

Jim

Live life to the full, get Tivo and get a Segway! http://segway.gassor.com

Zorba9
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
Karl,the top speed seems to be the same with standard ETT's on the road. Kind of an odd feeling with the wider stance, probably akin to the XT which I haven't ridden yet.

Jim, with any off-road riding the range is reduced greatly (duallies or standard 2 wheel gliding) The L-ions on the XT make off-roading much more practical, along with the softer, wider tires. LLC says there is a 10 mile range on them compared to the 20 mile range in the 180's. It was easy to solve the range problem 2 years ago when I started hunting with the HT - a mounted 12 volt battery and power inverter to charge with while parked in the deep woods (see M-167 in my SC photo alblum). The extra weight of rider and gear on the M-167 also helped to keep the studded tires firmly planted in slick conditions - too slick (or up extreme slopes) you hop off and power assist thru, you don't want to risk taking a tumble with all that gear. The motors are extremely tough, many times while hill climbing I ride the "stick-shake" right to the top. It took some getting used to because I expected a safety shutdown at any moment - never happens tho, maybe its my old 10.0 software program?

KOG

Zorba9.....