PDA

View Full Version : If only they saw segways like bikes...

ZoliHonig
05-30-2005, 11:59 PM
I was riding my bike around town today and realized how accepted the bicycle is in our society. People had no problem walking inches away from me while in motion. If the only the seg was like that. I mean usually even if there is 3 feet between me and someone else on my seg they'll usually stop and wait (I usually tell them to go ahead).

Hopefully one day society will adopt the segway like it has the bicycle..

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Sal
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Hmm, I understand where you're coming from in the way of perception/acceptance, but I know you know this: the Segway is more like a pedestrian like a bicycle, and soon, I think we all hope that the Segway won't be seen as something we ride, but will be seen as merely a part of us. We're pedestrians whether on it or not.

THe bicycle, though accepted, is definitely not a pedestrian.

But I understand your point Zoli.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

KSagal
05-31-2005, 01:46 PM
I also understand the point that Zoli is making in that as a general rule, a bike does not scare anyone.

My consern with this line of reasoning is that bikes are plugged into a well defined perception in most peoples' minds.

Segways are not, and aught not. If I say, "riding a bike in a shopping mall," it brings with it a definate picture in your mind and a value judgement that goes along. Segs fit a different bill.

Zoli is also young, and therefore closer to the bike acceptance crowd. Not that there are not seniors on bikes, but generally, the older you get, the less of your peers are on bikes. I think that will not be the same for segs. I believe that once you integrate a seg into your life, there is no reason to ever give it up...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

tpkanaley
05-31-2005, 04:16 PM
It is very important that Segways NOT be equated to bicycles in any way shape or form. Whenever someone asks me a question that involves a bicycle reference, I simply tell them that there is no comparison and they should not try to create one.

I do not ride a Segway instead of a bike, I do not ride a Segway to exercise, I do not ride a Segway to go 10+ miles. I do ride a bicycle to exercise and to go longer distances, and when the distance is too far, I rent a car.

Equating Segways and bicycles will be the death noll of the segway!

ZoliHonig
05-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Guys you're right- I totaly left that out of my post. I was just saying we need the knowledge of the safety of the segway in the minds of our fellow pedestrians. Most pedestrians know that there is not much of a risk walking next to a bicycle- we need that with segways. That's all I was saying.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Neelix
05-31-2005, 08:44 PM
I think that perception is something we have to change. At Segway Fest in Sacramento, I was riding my Seg alongside Jeremy Lund, who was riding the Centaur. The general feeling that I got from people who were around us one of "Wow, that four wheeled one looks easy and my speed. That two wheeled one looks really hard!"

But in reality, its the EXACT opposite. The Centaur is a BEAST and is pretty tricky.

Same thing with Segways VS bikes. Bikes are tame. Three year old kids ride bikes, no problem. But those crazy side by side wheeled things, those are so different and dangerous!

Back to the Centaur:
I think that Mr. Laurenzano knows a guy who had an interesting experience with it. What was his name, Mr. X or something like that? ;)

-------------------------
Fear not, for even though I come from the Forbidden City, I surely do not agree with the rules.
Chris Knight

JohnM
06-01-2005, 12:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by tpkanaley

Equating Segways and bicycles will be the death noll of the segway!

Then consider the Segway dead in New Jersey.
From the NJ statutes:
39:4-14.10.b. An electric personal assistive mobility device may be operated on the public highways, sidewalks and bicycle paths of the State. Every person operating such a device shall be granted all of the rights and be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a bicycle by chapter four of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes except as to those provisions thereof which by their nature can have no application. An electric personal assistive mobility device shall be subject to the safety and equipment requirements applicable to the bicycle provisions of chapter 4 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes, except as to those provisions thereof which by their nature can have no application.

JohnM
If riding 2 hours is fun, then riding 20 hours is 10 times more fun.
RUSA #235

KSagal
06-01-2005, 01:07 AM
We should never use absolutes!

I am not sure what a death noll is, but the world is full of poor and inapropriate associations. I think we could do worse than being lumped in with bicycles, but the comparison fails for many reasons rather quickly.

Bikes have clear advantages in some areas, segs in others.

Bikes are compared all the time to cars as ways to get to work, and though the comparison is weak at times, it does get people from a place that they know to a place that they don't know.

I stated earlier that I believe that too close an association with bikes would not be good for segs, but the original poster was simply making the comments that he feels that people do not over react to bikes and they do seem to over react to segs...

Wouldn't it be nice if they didn't over react?...

Yes, it would be nice if segs were accepted as completely as bikes. Not accepted as bikes, but as accepted as bikes are...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.