PDA

View Full Version : Einstein's famous equation, revisited

terryp
05-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I was trying to decide how to best enjoy the increased range of the lithium batteries this weekend, when I happened to glance up at Jack Kamen's poster of Einstein on an HT. Suddenly, in a flash of inspiration, I realized the relationship that determines the range of the Segway.

D=NV^2, where D=Distance in feet, N=eNergy in Watt-Hours, V=Volume of a battery pack in cubic inches, and (superscript) 2 means "paired" (two packs). So the equation is spoken as "D equals NV paired".

If you plug in the values: N=400, V=275 (li) or N=220, V185 (NiMH), you'll find that the equation closely predicts the range you'll get (about 8 miles for NiMH, 20 for Li).

The equation's not exact - I suspect that a (cosmological?) constant might be required. Adding 4 makes it 12 and 24 miles.

Segway - What's holding you up?

Hauptagon
05-28-2005, 11:26 AM
That's pretty cool! Too much time on our hands, have we?;) Does it work with a partially charged battery?

Just one thing, if the 2 means paired, the equation should probably be written D=N(V2) or even D=NV2, since your mutliplying (without superscipted the 2, which would make it an exponent).

-Justin

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

terryp
05-28-2005, 01:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hauptagon

Just one thing, if the 2 means paired, the equation should probably be written D=N(V2) or even D=NV2, since you're mutliplying (without superscipted the 2, which would make it an exponent).

-Justin

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." -From Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

But then it doesn't rhyme with the more famous version. And yeah, maybe too much time on my hands, but I actually thought of it when I woke up this morning.

Segway - What's holding you up?

Hauptagon
05-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Ah! I didn't even realize it rhyms! Ok, sorry on my part for ruining it. [8)]:)

-Justin

Tanner
05-28-2005, 04:22 PM
That's pretty intellegent.

Thought this was going to be on E=MC^2.

-Tanner

----------------
Tanner S.

Sal
05-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Great work Terry!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

macgeek
05-30-2005, 09:33 AM
I always thought it was:

R=HTfun

But then again, I cant do simple matamatics!

Jonathan

"Think outside the car"