PDA

View Full Version : Segway Adventure

spyderman
05-28-2005, 07:43 AM
I'm a new member here, have a relationship with Segway of OKC. Planning a trip leaving OK and going to Alaska, gliding as we go. Will leave OK, June 16, go to west coast, up I-5 until north of SF then over to Hiway 101 to Canada and then Alaska. Will stay at TTN parks when available showing and getting parks and RV'ers familiar with the Segway. As time gets closer and we know exactly where we will be, I will post and hope to see some other gliders along the way.

pam
05-28-2005, 09:45 AM
This sounds like it would be a wonderful trip. Do you have a special hauler built for your RV? If so, could you post a photo or two? It's my fantasy that SOMEDAY I'd love to take a LD trip with an RV and my HT.
Pam

Dragan
05-28-2005, 11:17 AM
You'll have a fantastic time! Alaska is beautiful ( and British Columbia isn't too shabby either!)
When you're in the greater Vancouver area, stop by and see Chris at Enviroglide rentals at the Vancouver Zoo. He's a great guy, you'll enjoy meeting him.

Being from OK, Rodeo is probably in your blood, so you may want to consider taking a bit of a detour east to Calgary; The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth (A.K.A. the Calgary Stampede) runs from July 8 to 17th and it is a blast! One Million Cowboys, free pancake breakfasts all over the city, square dancing in the middle of downtown and some of the best rodeo you'll ever see. As an added bonus, That's where we are (Segway of Alberta - Calgary) and we'd love to see you, and take you on a glide around our town.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

pam
05-28-2005, 12:44 PM
I definitely am going to make it up to the Calgary Stampede sometime in the next few years. I've got my cousin Cynthia geared to go, too. She did barrel racing when she was a youngster. That's on my to-do list.
Pam

KSagal
05-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Pam, being from New England, I feel compelled to ask, "How does one race a barrel?"

Most of the barrels near here just sit there.

I suppose one could roll one down a hill then race it, or maybe a bunch of people could ride barrels in a river and race that way...

Please enlighten me...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

yosgof
05-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Karl,

…or just get into one and be rolled down hill, whoever gets there first, preferably to be stopped by a large tree at the bottom.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

pam
05-28-2005, 05:18 PM
It's done with a horse, Karl. <G> I've never done it, but it's a rodeo thing.
Pam

Dragan
05-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Karl,
think two barrels on opposite sides of a BIG field...add a horse and rider, have horse (and hopefully rider)go as fast as they can around said barrels in a figure-eight style circuit. Fans drink beer, cheer, shout "YEE-HAH!", over and over...........I guess you gotta be there.

Pam, push that trip up on your list of things to do, you'll love it! Us Calgarians know how to throw a party, and the Stampede is really a city-wide bash for 2 weeks. you'll see more denim and boots in two weeks than you likely have in your lifetime to date.

Oh, did I mention that one of the FINEST Segway dealers in Canada is located there? Along with a rapidly growing bunch of Seggers? Come on up, we'll show you a Big Ole Time!
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Mr. Protocol
05-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Well, if you hit the coast around Los Angeles, be sure to stop off at the end of old Route 66, at the Santa Monica Pier, and glide Ocean Front Walk. Take it from me, that there is prime glidin' territory, pardner.

spyderman
05-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks all for responding, probably won't make LA this trip, may change plans and go to Calgary, if we do we will look you folks up. Can't hardly believe some folks don't know barrel racing. Usually pretty young cowgirls are the riders.

spyderman
05-29-2005, 10:35 AM
Pam, No hauler, I just take off the handles and store them in the bay under the motorhome, plenty of room for two. If I were to carry them outside, I think I would just get the flat carrier that goes in the reciever hitch and haul away. Actually I have one and if I get time before I leave I'll demonstrate and post a pic.

Nelda
05-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Hey, spyderman, we're going North also! Drop me a line and we'll catch each other on the road.
Nelda

lwillis
05-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Not to get off topic here, but done a little barrel racing myself in my younger days. And it is also done with three barrels place in a triangle pattern. Add a horse and rider and imagine running a clover leaf pattern around the three barrels.

Les Willis
Looking for a glide

Murray Fisher
05-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Pam, We have a motorhome and I have it set up two ways to carry the Seg. At first I used my regular "inverted door threshold" ramps (that I use for the cars) to run it into a low "basement" compartment. However, then it is pretty awkward to take out the power shaft in that position and store the PS sideways in the same compartment......the Seg is too wide to just turn the whole works. I had designed and made an all aluminum carrier that only weighs 8 pounds. I can lift and insert it in the motorhome's trailer hitch and pin it in place and hardly need to bend over....I use those same ramps to run it up into place under its own power and the power shaft latches in place. I usually leave the carrier in place so it is only a 15 second job to load it and be ready to go or power it back off. There is nothing like being able to roam around campgrounds and explore the area on a Segway. I can't walk very far but I can ride the Seg for half an hour or more at a time and with a short rest take off again....Love it.

Murray Fisher