PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic fields

Socrates
05-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Hi everybody,

I have a mechanical wristwatch and use it every day and I use my i170 nearly every day. While gliding the hand with the watch rests on the steering grip, which causes the watch to be shaken.
Before I was segging the watch was fast 1 second per day (pretty amazing). Now it runs constantly 8 seconds slow every day, not depending if I use the Segway or not.
In a forum of watch-enthusiasts I was told that it could be a magnetical field of Segway causing the watch to be magnetized and run slow.

After these off-topic lines I ask if the Segway produces magnetical fields near the handlebar. It may be possible as the motors are really strong.

Happy segging,
Alexander

pam
05-27-2005, 08:01 AM
I do believe there are magnets in the turning collar, so it's possible. I haven't had a problem with it.
Pam

austin@SOH
05-27-2005, 09:04 AM
There are two tiny magnets inside the steering grip that oppose each other polarity wise. That way when you turn the grip the machine can detect which way you turn and then proceed to turn that direction. I think that they may have enough power to affect your watch though.

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

cmonkey
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
put your watch on your right for a few days and ride the same way.... I'll bet it's still slow. It's not the magnetic field.

I love my magic carpet!

adobephile
05-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Aren't most or a lot of mechanical watch parts brass or non-ferrous metal? If so, magnetic fields wouldn't affect them.

You also didn't say if your watch was self-winding. If it is, then I'd say that Segway shaking would induce a different pattern of spinning of the pendulum, perhaps a more erratic one which doesn't allow it to complete as many full cycles, and therefore not do its job as well.

If you think about it, while gliding, your arm is actually more stationary, as far as the watch is concerned--not as much flexing of the elbow or rotation of the wrist. At the same time, there would be a good amount of thrashing back and forth with the lateral movements of the control shaft which could interrupt the pendulum's ability to swing around in full rotations.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

cmonkey
05-27-2005, 09:56 AM
The shaking of a segway ride will definitely wind an automatic watch. but weather it's mechanical or automtic.... this is what's goig to get impacted the most by shocks encountered while riding a seg..

http://www.timezone.com/library/wglossary/wglossary631694783467708920

I love my magic carpet!

fathertime
05-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Take it from a guy who rides a Segway everyday and who is the largest restorer of mechanical watches in the Midwest. There is no cause and effect here that is caused by the Segway. If your hairspring was magnetized the watch would run fast, not slow. There is either a cleaning issue at hand, or some other mechanical problem caused by damage to the balance staff, or power train.

[:O]

Jim Reynolds
Father Time Antiques

Socrates
05-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank's for Your answers.

I tend to believe that the magnets in the steering grip influenced the watch and I wonder that they are so strong.
As said above by Daniel, the movement of the watch is brass. But the Breguet spring is made of steel and it is the thing that can become magnetized.
The watch has automatic winding, but when fully wound up, it should go faster and later after some days without gliding on the Segway it should go normal again.
Once a Breguet spring is magnetized, it keeps its magnetism for very long time and causes the watch to move constantly faster or constantly slower - like mine, 8 seconds slow, even on rainy days without gliding.

In one of the next days I get the watch demagnetized and lets see what happens and if it was magnetism from the Segway or not. I will post it.

Thank's again,
Alexander

JohnM
05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Sounds more like a space-time relativity thing to me. Your Segway has moved you into the future, while your mechanical watch remained firmly anchored in the past.

Like-wise, while riding my old fashioned bike I get to go back in time and re-live my childhood. This time warping phenomena was well understood by Einstein. http://store1.yimg.com/I/einsteinbikes_1841_1564141

JohnM
If riding 2 hours is fun, then riding 20 hours is 10 times more fun.
RUSA #235

Socrates
05-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah,

John has got it, that's the problem! The HT is a time machine. I always thought there is more than gliding. So I start gliding home backside against the handlebar to get my seconds back.

:-)
Alexander

Stewbonz
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Those magnets are strong. I just hung my fork from my steering grip.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

cmonkey
05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
wow! you're not kidding. Those are stronger than I expected. now I know where I can put my screws and washers when I'm workig on it.

I love my magic carpet!

Mr_Laurenzano
05-27-2005, 11:53 AM
I got a fork and a spoon ...
To think "IT" is going to the moon ... How perfect.

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

Dragan
05-27-2005, 01:52 PM
When we were doing our tech training, the instructor challenged Austin from Segway of Hagerstown (he's a big lad) to try and pull those two little magnets (1/4in. diameter) apart. Couldn't do it. Now that's not to say Austin isn't more than up to the task; believe me, if I didn't consider him a friend, I'd call him "Sir" just so he didn't get mad at me! Those magnets are REALLY strong!

Word to the wise though; don't start pulling them out of the handgrip. There are four ways you can put them back in, and only one way is right, so the frustration factor can be high
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca