PDA

View Full Version : What is your brand of sidewalk etiquette?

adobephile
05-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Part of the history of Clearwater, Florida, a chronically sleepy, urban-sprawling, large-but-small-town on Florida's Gulf Coast, can be read in its many and various sidewalks.

Most of them out in the neighborhoods are old, narrow, and heaving in places. Judging by the age of nearby houses in some neighborhoods they were never even made during the seventies and eighties. Many are right next to the street curbings with slanting driveway cutouts, all of which often make gliding a somewhat challenging voyage into the past through these "ruins of past civilizations."

According to Florida EPAMD statutes we're supposed to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians and to audibly warn them before overtaking them--all well and good, and I always try to do that when I'm gliding.

However, that gets a little awkward in various situations. Often, when I'm about to overtake someone and say, "Passing on your left," they get startled and either stop dead in their tracks, or jump around in a moment of confusion not knowing which way to move, etc.

Or they see me coming on a narrow sidewalk and step off into the grass to let me by. I try to tell them that there's plenty of room, but they're being cautious. But some will belligerently not change their course. Some bicycle riders won't even slow down.

We have a draw bridge over the waterway which flows by our downtown. Its sidewalks are narrow, and there's a mere raised-but-still-low curbing separating the sidewalk from the zooming car traffic. The outer edge barrier is a low concrete beam. There are frequent bike riders going back and forth on the walk, and I often meet them when I'm gliding across the bridge. I usually stop to let them go by, not wanting to risk clipping each other so that either of us lose control on the narrow walk.

Then, of course, there are the crosswalks. Not being much of a walker prior to my Segway, I had no reality of the rather dismal scene of many drivers not yielding the right-of-way to pedestrians in the cross walk. They're either not aware of the law, or they don't care, or they don't see us. It's not like I'm invisible at 6'3" and 240 lbs, usually wearing a fluorescent green t-shirt.

I usually, call out to the offending driver, "HEY! Stop for pedestrians!" to deaf ears and screeching tires as they zoom away.

When I come upon a car stopped at an intersection or driveway waiting for oncoming traffic in order to enter the street, I call out, "HELLO!" to get their attention so that they know I'm there and crossing in front of them.

Anyway, let's hear from others what are your techniques and tactics.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

cmonkey
05-26-2005, 11:11 AM
I have three ways of alerting peds to my presence. (soon to have a fourth).
1. Hello or Hi there!
2. Children's squeeky toy horn. (more interesting than #1)
3. Segway Bell (in case 1 & 2 don't work)
4. 120db airhorn for cars that aren't paying attention.

I've noticed the same thing, pedestrians get out of my way, not realizing they have the right of way.

When I come up behind people, I move slowly, and when within 10 feet, I match their speed and alert them.
If I toot too soon, they always wind up standing off to the side waiting for me to go by.

Some people though will stand to the side and glare at me for making them move and wait. (but they really just want to stare) That's why I found the ten foot mark to be reasonable. Not to close to frighten, not too far to inconvenience (them).

David S

I love my magic carpet!

Sal
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I slow to their pace, and calmly say "excuse me." Pedestrian-like actions on our part will allow Segways to fit into the "pedestrian" category in other's minds.

Rarely, if ever do I pass other pedestrians at speed, unless I know them.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

woodenapple
05-26-2005, 12:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by salkulkarni

I slow to their pace, and calmly say "excuse me." Pedestrian-like actions on our part will allow Segways to fit into the "pedestrian" category in other's minds.

Rarely, if ever do I pass other pedestrians at speed, unless I know them.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com
That sounds exactly like what I do.

If I ever happen upon a pedestrian in a place where they would have to step aside for me to pass, I will just stay about 10 feet behind them matching their pace until we get to a place where I can pass without them having to change their stride or direction at all. On busy sidewalks, I simply keep the same pace as the other pedestrians and don't even try to pass.

I have no problem being patient and un-hurried when other pedestrians are around because usually the sidewalks around here are nearly deserted.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

Dragan
05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Sound like everyone's pretty much on the same page. I've taken to coming up behind a pedestrian, and matching thier pas from about 10 or 12 feet saying "glide on the left" then passing only slightly faster than they're walking.

Most people are used to "bike on the left" it seems, so "glide on the left" sounds similar, but not quite the same, so they react as they would with a bike for the most part, and then when they see what a "glide" is, almost invariably smile.

Of course, if the ped traffic is heavy, a bell works nicely.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

legpain
05-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I differ hear. I’ve done the notify thing and most people jump and seem afraid. Anymore, I just slowly go around them without saying anything, our sidewalks are W I D E, or go into the street/grass.

Since doing this most people say nothing, and I do listen for comments as I pass, and listen when I’m a few feet in front of them. I usually get the “I never seen one LIVE, before.” comments.

If I’m coming at them, I do my best to ride with one wheel on the grass or as far over as the sidewalk permits, FIRST. If I do a move FIRST, it shows them my intent and I’ve seen them NOT try and move over.

John

KSagal
05-27-2005, 12:13 AM
I agree with much of what has been reported here with the following mods...

I do pace from behind sometimes, but don't anounce a pass, just, "behind you..." Then wait to see what they do and react accordingly.

If I do not wish to do that, I either give up the sidewalk and time it so I can go down a driveway, pass them from the gutter or side of the road, and regain the sidewalk at the next driveway...

When approaching head on, I often glide onto the grass strip to show that I am giving up the sidewalk, but it is often too late, as soon as I am seen, some give up the sidewalk...

A notable exception is joggers with large wheeled baby strollers... I have seen them run elderly pedestrians off the sidewalk and have never had one give up the sidewalk to me...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

yosgof
05-27-2005, 02:10 AM
As you may know I still didn’t get my I180 but having anticipated the pedestrian “factor” I’ve been simulating in my head to try and develop a pedestrian strategy in advance.

The best I could come up with so far is to just adopt the same strategy as I implement when riding a bicycle. The city of Tel Aviv has invested heavily in allocating lots of sidewalk space for bicycles in an attempt to encourage people to use bicycles as a valid means of public transportation. All street corners are cut out. There are designated lanes for bicycles on the wide sidewalks, plenty of anchoring devices to which one can tie a bike etc. So although new to Segway I’ve been a “street rider” for about five years now.

When riding a bike my strategy largely depends on the width (breadth) of the sidewalk. When on a wide sidewalk (preferably with a designated bicycle lane) I usually steer as far as possible from a pedestrian and then pass him at a speed slightly faster than his walking speed. In narrower places, until I can safely pass I just “emulate” a pedestrian trying to ride at just the same speed as the pedestrian (calls for a good control at extremely low speeds) and well clear off and to the rear of the people until I can safely pass as per above. The people are actually made aware of my presence only after they’ve been passed at which point they no longer mind. After having been practicing this for many years I can now safely pass any type of a pedestrian including children, people with dogs, elderly people, moms with prams and pretty much any other type of pedestrian without ever startling them. I did not startle or made a pedestrian change his course even slightly probably for 4 years now (this is the last startling episode I can remember).

When developing this strategy on a bicycle I’ve tried everything that’s been proposed here – saying “sorry”, ringing, hooting, and generally making a pedestrian aware in advance that I am somewhere in the vicinity and that he is about to be passed. Without exception this was making people change their course, stop completely, jump away with fright, get in my way in spite and generally react to my presence.

So having tried this for a while I’ve come to a conclusion that what they don’t know can’t hurt them. Therefore I never make the pedestrians aware of my presence, I try to never make them change their route ever so slightly and generally I just “work around them”.

This is true when coming from behind. When coming head-on I try to “convince” a person well in advance that I am completely safe, in good control of my bicycle, am well aware of him being there and generally pose him not threat. This is done through body language and putting up a big smile on my face usually help a lot.

My way of assessing my action is to judge whether I’ve made a person alter his course more so than if I was walking. Since I am a very fast walker (my walking pace is usually 6KpH) I used to frighten pedestrians even when walking. So the rules of thumb I’ve developed are equally applicably to all personal means of moving around.

I think that at least in the beginning I’ll do just the same on the HT with the only exception being crowded places. When having to go through a crowd on a bicycle I frequently just get off and walk which seems to be a less viable option with an HT.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

teekay
05-27-2005, 02:18 AM
I just blast over them!........LOL......Not!

I do most of my gliding at night, with my ARC light, less traffic.

I glide for fun, and evening runs, not only work into my schedule better, provide me a clear path. Sometimes on the weekends I go out in the early AM, 5:30 to 7:00.

The Segway allows one to alter their path effortless, and glide safe.

Keep up the good work!

:) Tim

JohnM
05-27-2005, 04:34 AM
Sorry Yosgof, but any cyclist who rides on sidewalks has already shown a disregard for pedestrian safety and any city that has invested heavily in allocating lots of sidewalk space for bicycles has shown contempt for cycling as a valid means of public transportation. To quote Dean Kamen, bikes are "too large and fast to mix with pedestrians on the sidewalk". DK doesn't know much about bikes but he got that one right.

The mantra for bicycle advocates is that cyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles. If you claim that:
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg , then shouldn't gliders fare best when they act and are treated as pedestrians? There should be no need for a separate Segway etiquette on the sidewalks. You either mix with pedestrians on their terms or you find somewhere else to travel. Total sidewalk acceptance of Segways will require nothing less.

JohnM
If riding 2 hours is fun, then riding 20 hours is 10 times more fun.
RUSA #235

Brooster
05-27-2005, 08:39 AM
I never EVER say "excuse me" or "on your left" or anything in order to get pedestrians to move over. I consider myself a "guest" on pedestrians' sidewalks, and simply follow quietly at their walking speed until I'm eventually noticed or have a wide enough area to slowly pass. If the pedestrians do move over for me, I always thank them politely. People seem to appreciate that, and often smile or have something nice to say in return.

Sometimes it takes a little longer than I'd like, but I figure that if I'm in that much of a hurry I shouldn't be on the sidewalk to begin with.

Brooster

Okeechobee Wind
05-27-2005, 08:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by JohnM

] There should be no need for a separate Segway etiquette on the sidewalks. You either mix with pedestrians on their terms or you find somewhere else to travel. Total sidewalk acceptance of Segways will require nothing less.

JohnM

That's it in a nutshell. I have been accepted all around the U.S.by gliding with this attitude and nothing less.

Nightline
05-27-2005, 10:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

I never EVER say "excuse me" or "on your left" or anything in order to get pedestrians to move over. I consider myself a "guest" on pedestrians' sidewalks, and simply follow quietly at their walking speed until I'm eventually noticed or have a wide enough area to slowly pass. If the pedestrians do move over for me, I always thank them politely. People seem to appreciate that, and often smile or have something nice to say in return.

Sometimes it takes a little longer than I'd like, but I figure that if I'm in that much of a hurry I shouldn't be on the sidewalk to begin with.

Brooster

Ditto!!

I am gliding in Southern California, and I have had a lot of people move out of my way, but I too feel that even though I am legally a pedestrian, it just feels right to give up the sidewalk to the walkers/joggers.

I love riding my Red i80

Stewbonz
05-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Brooster says it well. His remaarks should be in the riders guide.
Zipping around people is asking for trouble.

I tell my riders it's about being gracefull, not an extreme type of ride.

I notice a difference in responses when riding different machines.
The P series is much more friendly.(needs a new name though)

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

ElectraGlide
05-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I use a simple "Pardon Me"....then a "Thankyou"....the same as I do when I'm walking

Steve

Stan671
05-27-2005, 02:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by Brooster

I never EVER say "excuse me" or "on your left" or anything in order to get pedestrians to move over. I consider myself a "guest" on pedestrians' sidewalks, and simply follow quietly at their walking speed until I'm eventually noticed or have a wide enough area to slowly pass. If the pedestrians do move over for me, I always thank them politely. People seem to appreciate that, and often smile or have something nice to say in return.I agree 100%. I do not expect or even ask others to move out of my way. I consider the sidewalk to be belogn to the peds.

Coming from behind, I usually pop down a driveway and pass on the street and then pop back up another driveway in front of the ped. Or I will stay in the street for a while. Or I will turn at a corner and find another route. That is what is so cool about the Segway commute ... I have about 1,237,873 ways to get to work and back.

Meeting head on, I always slow down and move to my right to signal that I have noticed the ped and my intentions are to keep right. I have found that most people will move off the sidewalk or to thier far right to get out of my way. I wish they wouldn't and let me do that, but they seem overly cautious for the most part. I always smile and say thank you when I pass if they have moved for me.

Stan Dobrowski

soloseg
05-28-2005, 12:02 AM
I live in a rural setting with sidewalks, but I glide in the streets most of the time. I posted sometime back about the Segway and Canton Texas and the USA's largest flea market.

When I was on the Segway in Canton and would come up behind people, I would stay back about 5 feet or so. I was in no hurry to pass and many times would just balance in place behind the folks who stopped to look at somethimg.

A few people seen me behind them and they would kinda move to the side real quick. Some would say I'm sorry for being in your way...at that I would say....oh you are fine and not a problem at all. I would then go on to say the Segway HT was designed to share the walkway with you. The Segway wheels are now my feet as I glad past them.

drolsinatas
05-28-2005, 12:07 PM
I use the sidewalks as often as possible.

1. If safe, I'll go in the street to pass pedestrians, or I'll slow down and say "coming on your left" and "thankyou".

2. I try to give pedestrians the right of way, but most will either give me the right of way, or trust that I won't hit them and continue walking on half the sidewalk.

3. I always use crosswalks when possible.

4. I always give handicapped people and children the right of way.

5. I always slow down ahead of time at corners. (There's still nothing I can do though, when someone comes around the corner, even if I'm stopped, they get startled.) Must be the height thing.

6. I always wave thank you to cars.

7. On busy sidewalks, I travel a tiny bit above walking speed. (I try to avoid the main sidewalks. The side streets are much quicker.)

Yesturday a lady clapped in excitement as she watched my go by, as if she was part of the design team and watching me go was a huge triumph for the cause. So far everything has been great. I've let almost 200 poeple try out my Segway in the past month. It still glides like the first day. My home town is deffinatly starting to get used to me, and I'm becoming a normal thing to see in Waltham. I'm hoping this is what opens doors for others to buy theirs. No one will need to feel imbarrest anymore. I've been taking all the blows. Been getting called all the names, but after everyone tries it out, see my routine, learn more about what it can actually do, and see how much money I'm saving, they change their minds.

I think?

This thing rules.

KSagal
05-31-2005, 11:48 AM
I have noticed two basic themes here.

1. We all seem to agree that polite is definately the way to go. To me this seems not only self evident, but an important PR move. Clearly, getting the general sidewalk population angry at segway users is not in anyone's interest.

2. The second is an issue that I am not as comfortable with. It is the perception that we are not expected or as authorized to be on the sidewalk as someone else.

In places where there are EPAMD laws, we are authorized and regulated as to how to interact on the sidewalks. This is not the same as not as worthy as someone else on that same sidewalk.

I am always polite, if on my seg or not. If an elderly person, or anyone with a stroller or mostly any other polite person approaches me, I yield the right of way to make their egress easier. I do this to be polite, and because I have the dexterity to do it. I also never make others move out of the way for me, unless I am carriing a heavey load or some such thing. Common courtesy rules.

I believe that if we act too tentively, or as if we are here but don't belong, we will invite our own problems.

I think that there is no value to act as if we are not supposed to be on the sidewalk and are just waiting to be kicked off. I think it is better to act as if we are fully authorized sidewalk users that are a friendly and easily integrated component of the sidewalk community.

Maybe this is spliting hairs. I don't know.

Possibly a better way to say this is, "I choose to be polite and a responsible sidewalk user because it is the correct thing to do, not because I am afraid that someone will challenge my being there."

Karl Ian Sagal

adobephile
05-31-2005, 12:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

I have noticed two basic themes here.

1. We all seem to agree that polite is definately the way to go. To me this seems not only self evident, but an important PR move. Clearly, getting the general sidewalk population angry at segway users is not in anyone's interest.

2. The second is an issue that I am not as comfortable with. It is the perception that we are not expected or as authorized to be on the sidewalk as someone else.

In places where there are EPAMD laws, we are authorized and regulated as to how to interact on the sidewalks. This is not the same as not as worthy as someone else on that same sidewalk.

I am always polite, if on my seg or not. If an elderly person, or anyone with a stroller or mostly any other polite person approaches me, I yield the right of way to make their egress easier. I do this to be polite, and because I have the dexterity to do it. I also never make others move out of the way for me, unless I am carriing a heavey load or some such thing. Common courtesy rules.

I believe that if we act too tentively, or as if we are here but don't belong, we will invite our own problems.

I think that there is no value to act as if we are not supposed to be on the sidewalk and are just waiting to be kicked off. I think it is better to act as if we are fully authorized sidewalk users that are a friendly and easily integrated component of the sidewalk community.

Maybe this is spliting hairs. I don't know.

Possibly a better way to say this is, "I choose to be polite and a responsible sidewalk user because it is the correct thing to do, not because I am afraid that someone will challenge my being there."

Karl Ian Sagal

Very good point, Karl, and I don't think you're splitting hairs.

In my experience, I think that projecting an air of friendly, polite, and considerate confidence that one belongs on that sidewalk or in that elevator goes a long way to assuage any startlement, nervousness, awkwardness, or even antagonism over the "Segway encounter."

This helps generate good PR and is an important factor in our mission to establish the Segway as both a viable and popular mode of transportation.

"The job of art is to chase ugliness away."
Bono, U2.
From a personal appearance
at an Apple Computer music event.
October 26, 2004

Daniel Swanson
http://www.van-garde.com

Mr_Laurenzano
05-31-2005, 02:39 PM
This last weekend our company tested the sidewalk theroy and the street use at our local Strawberry Festival in Arroyo Grande Ca. There were in excess of 120,000 peole walking through. elbow to elbow for four city blocks. The organizer of the event Bob made it possible for us to have a one block closed street to introduce the segway HT to the public and to promte our tour company. Bob also used the segway ht all weekend to monitor the event and to get arround.
We let 6 people at a time ride through the area after a brief introduction and hands on orrintation. It was a definetly a good day nearly 100 demos in two days will protions of the proceeds going to the expansion of the Bob Jones Trail to San Luis Obispo to Avila Beach, one of our tours.
The etiquette and reesponse to the segway experiance was no different than the first time most of you rode it. Our customers were happy to roam freely about the area. There were a couple yahoos. Thats why a 5mph key and 12.5mph key have that division. When peope got out of hand they were amazed that I could get to them as quick as I could and when I came up to them it was education time and a bring it on in.
The chief of police in arroyo grande was under the impression that they were ileagl on the side walks so I gave the event orrginazer SB1918 Vehical codes and a print of the Ventura County Bomb Squad study on the segway site.
Personally I have a policy that every one else can have the right of way. I can still compress time and space as soon as they are out of the way. I scream across streets when peole are waiting to turn right, They do appreciate that.
As we have all said befor on this site we are the ambassadors segway has done so much to make this vehical seamlessly intigrate. Laws then the Seg, Safty Safty Safty.
This wed we will be raffling off 4 tours to the very first graduating class of Nipomo High School. Youth is King and Queen in this respect.

You all have a nice day
If you are traveling bettween southern and northern california stop in at Pismo Beach and I'll take you on seashell glide of the coast line. The surfer showers are great for a post sand rinse.
Mr.L

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

Stan671
05-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I understand your point, Karl. I did not mean to sound like I act as if I am not allowed on the sidewalk. Segways are perfecttly legal on all sidewalks in New Jersey. I tried to convey that I always yield the right of way to peds rather than expecting them to yield to me.

Sort of how a power boat should yield the right of way (and give a wide pathway) to a sailboat that is under wind power. Both boats belong in the channel, but the powered boat has to look out for the unpowered boat.

Stan Dobrowski