PDA

View Full Version : Segway Flag Mount for Parade

ZoliHonig
05-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Hey guys, my school is planning on using my segway to lead our group down 5th Street in the annual Israeli Day Parade.

I want to attach an american flag to one side and an israeli flag to the other side. Has anyone ever done this before? How would you ssay the best way to do it would be?

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Dragan
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Zoli, how big are the flags you're wanting to use? I would think you'd need to be a bit careful not to go too big, since they'll act like a sail and yank you around a bit.

As for mounting them, I would think if you made up a pipe and place combination and mounted it to the gearbox mounts, you could slide the flag pole into the pipe and have it fluttering above the fender fairly easily. All you would need is a place of light guage steel, a section of pipe larger in diameter than your flagpole that could be attached to the plate with strapping, and some bolts to attach it to the gearbox.

Let us know how you make out!
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

segtownmst
05-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Zoli,

I have been pondering the same concept for my ride in the 4th of July Parade in Danville. I just got my new i180 yesterday and purchased a 25.0 bag for it. Looking at the mounting brackets for the bag I think I might be able to make a modification with a piece of steel and manage a medium size flag nicely. Wayne des have a good point though abotu the "sail" effect, so we will have to be carefull. Once I run to Home Depot and figure some thigns out I will post pictures.

~Matt

woodenapple
05-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't know about 2 flags, but I have had good luck with one large flag angling out front attached to my control shaft. The last 2 Springtime Tallahassee parades I have glided with the Scottish Society unit which carries banner flags of the different clan tartans.

I simply duct tape the flag pole to top of the control shaft and to the middle of the handle bars in such a way that it tilts out to the front as far away from me as possible. The duct tape doesn't really look tacky because it blends in with the color of my P's control shaft and with the aluminum flag pole.

Even a large flag doesn't really create too much 'sail' effect in terms of jerking the segway around, but a strong wind definitely affects you. The main problem is that if the flag is close to you, even a slight breeze can blow the flag into your face or even wrap it around you.

The best effect is spinning in place while the flag creates a circle pattern flowing around you.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

Wallace
05-26-2005, 05:28 PM
I adapted a two piece, wooden flag pole to accomodate a 3' x 5' Texas Tech University banner which had a SEGWAY " Put Some BALANCE in Your Life" banner on the back side which was VELCROWED to the original Banner.

The attachment to my SEG was to place the blunt end of the pole on the platform along side the vertical pipe of the 25.0 Carrier frame. I used about two feet of red rubber exercise band from physical therapy to secure the wooden pole in an upright position along the vertical pipe..

When you get on, you have to reach around the pole - below the flag - to reach the right handlebar grip.

Depending on how strong the wind is, your flag will either flutter in the breeze or have the blasted thing wrap around your head!

Yes I have photos. No I can't insert them in this message. If you send a complete e-mail address I will forward photos as well as information on our NEW Rails to Trails city Parks project dedicated last month. $2.7M with additions to follow. One of my pictures is taken there riding ROVER in the parade.

[email protected]

Tripod and ROVER

ZoliHonig
05-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanx guys, these are great ideas...

I was thinking about just drilling two holes in each flag pole and just getting a longer bolt from a hardware store and put it right on the gearbox mounts like some people said. I think the angle would be good- off the front and middle gearbox mounts.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Wallace
05-28-2005, 10:37 AM
HOORAY for FLICKR!

I posted 6 photos of my FLAG at http://www.flickr.com/photos/51699901@N00/?saved=1
What a rally nice and easy way to share PICS. THANKS!!!

Tripod and ROVER

Wallace
05-28-2005, 11:10 AM
SORRY. Look for the SEGWAY FLAGS at http://www.flickr.com/groups/segway/ under the member name of lamont2

Tripod and ROVER

yosgof
05-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Zoli,

No matter how you actually do it. It's the thought that counts. Ale ve Hatzlah!

After having said that, there's always Velcro and duct tape. :D

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

ZoliHonig
05-28-2005, 10:16 PM
The parade is June 5th, so I'll show you guys pics after- now the questioon is, who's gonna ride it?

I don't really want to- maybe I'll get a teacher or principal to ride it.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

KSagal
05-28-2005, 10:44 PM
I run flags often.

A large flag has good action, but you should mount it with the top edge below your shoulder or the bottom edge well above your head...

It is very easy for a large flag to wrap around your face causing a real menace to navagation. This can easily happen if you are in a 5 mph parade, traveling south with a 10 mph wind from the west... etc, etc.

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/KSagal/Segflag2.JPG

Enclosed is a photo that I took today. Note the flag is in the breeze, and the e-stand is having no problem dealing with it...

There is some drag however, so it may have an effect on range...

Unfortunately for most, since I glide an 'E', my mountings are both easy for me and difficult to duplicate on an 'I'. I use the lower cargo structure for a mount, then just duct tape the base of the pole.

There is very little that cannot be done with duct tape...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.