PDA

View Full Version : 25.0 side cargo bags

Billy Kirkland
05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
I have sold 2 new i180 with the 25.0 side bag mount. What we did so the bag would not rub on the fender was weld two ¾ s/s tubing together and weld two bolts on the bottom and mount to the side bag arm. The only problem is not all the Velcro on the side will work. It is still strong enough to lift the Segway by the bag on the side. Has anyone another way that this might work. Cost was ten dollars to make.

Billy kirkland
"Your Fun In The Expert"

terryp
05-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Rubbing on the fender isn't a problem, but rubbing on the wheel is. My i180 with 25.0 bag is less than a week old. I haven't loaded the bag with anything heavier than a loaf of bread or a bag of gym clothes, and there's already a wear mark on the bottom from the wheel. It's disappointing to see a $200 bag starting to wear out so soon.

The vertical post is very tight against the fender too. I'm guessing that LLC will be getting enough complaints about this and other problems with the combination that they'll have to have the vendor modify it a bit.

Can you post a picture of your solution? Maybe we can get some ideas from it. I was thinking of sewing a piece of thin plastic to the bottom, or maybe just using some thick packing tape. I'd move the spash guard to the center of the fender, but hey - this is Seattle!

Segway - What's holding you up?

KSagal
05-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Could you get a second splash guard to keep in the center top position when you use the bag?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

terryp
05-28-2005, 02:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by KSagal

Could you get a second splash guard to keep in the center top position when you use the bag?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

No - you can't mount one in the center AND one on the back at the same time.

I just thought of another solution though. There are two unused slots in the horizontal arm. You could bolt another piece of tubing of the same diameter on top using those slots. The bag would snap onto that tube instead, and that would raise the bag by almost an inch. I'll try that tomorrow.

terryp
05-28-2005, 06:02 PM
If anyone is unhappy to see their 25.0 bag getting worn from laying on the tire of their i180, the idea I described above works great. I used a 9.5" length of 7/8" dowel. I drilled counter-bored holes to match up with the slots in the horizontal bar, another hole to allow access to the bolt that holds that bar to the vertical one, painted it black, and bolted it on with stainless steel hardware. This raises the bag by 7/8" so that it always clears the wheel.

Billy Kirkland
05-28-2005, 06:27 PM
That is the same that I did except instead of dowel I used two 7/8” s/s tubing and welded the tubing together and then welded the bolts on the tubing to mount to the horizontal bar. That will raise the bag at least 1 ½”

Billy Kirkland
"Your Fun In The Sun Expert"

terryp
05-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Okay - I understand now.

I noticed that with even just one 7/8" dowel, the top patch of velcro barely grips. That's okay, but I'm going to flatten the bottom of the dowel to drop the bag 1/4" or so. It should still be more than enough unless you try to carry a sheet of lead on the outside of the bag.

Stewbonz
05-28-2005, 09:10 PM
I thought they tested those accessories.
Strange that the bag rubs the fender and tire.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

terryp
05-28-2005, 09:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Stewbonz

I thought they tested those accessories.
Strange that the bag rubs the fender and tire.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

The bag isn't made by LLC, but it is surprising that it didn't occur to anyone there to check the fit when they redesigned the fender. At least they got all the high tech stuff right. ;)

Sal
05-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Love them older fenders!!! Maybe one can swap out one new fender for an older one on the new i180s, it's not very pretty, but it's functional.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

terryp
05-28-2005, 10:10 PM
I found a better way, and it's even cheaper and easier. I cut a trapezoidal piece of 1/8" masonite to fit the bottom of the bag, with rounded corners and edges. Just drop it in, and you can load the bag with anything you want without it touching the fender or wheel.