PDA

View Full Version : Season to buy/sell a used Segway

SONORAMA
05-24-2005, 11:36 PM
A comment I made in the buy and sell section got me thinking - and I'd like to hear comments from the wider group, especially dealers.

I seem to notice the price of used Segways rising this time of year, as compared to even a two months ago. I would presume this is due to the approaching summer bringing an increased demand for Segways?

I'd presume that selling a segway in the middle of winter would likewise bring a lower price.

Anyone been in this business for more than a few seasons noticed this? What have you found the usual summer vs. winter price difference to be?

L7
05-25-2005, 02:27 AM
I don't know, but I'm going to watch this thread. I think I'm going to sell my Segway. I just bought a house with a big garage and what I really want is an Ultralight airplane. The wife has a one frivolous expensive toy maximum.

austin@SOH
05-25-2005, 09:03 AM
Honestly, new machines the prices do not change for us. The NiMH i180 is less expensive than the Lithium Ion but other than that I really cannot think of a reason why they would be less. As far as used machines go, I could see that trend but we really have not dealt much with them.

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

wwhopper
05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Like a convertable - you buy it in January - and the 4 wheel drive truck in July.

More people are thinking outdoors once the weather gets nicer, as well as ways to be outside. (though here in DC it has been somewhat cold & rainy spring)

In buying any used mechanical item, it is important that it be well maintained and cared for (even if an HT is a pretty tough beast) one in rough condition may not bring as good a price as one in pristine condition.

The key right now is there are a number of the early machines with tired (old) batteries. And if they have not had new batteries installed, or if the real early ones have not had the Control Shaft wiring and connectors replaced, they will probably need it sometime soon - so that could keep the price down.

There has been some e-bay activity on batteries, but very little. This year you will see alot of us early buyers replacing batteries, and of course as the new more interesting machines come out - there is that desire for the latest and greatest! That may then open up the market for some of the older machines to be sold.

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!