PDA

View Full Version : one arm Segway use.

Itsi Atkins
05-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I was asked this weekend by a stranger if someone with one arm can use the Segway. I asked which arm and he said the friend was missing his right arm. Before asking which arm, I told him that we steer with the left hand so that it would be fine. I also told him LLC would make a special version if he really wanted it. I am not sure that is correct. Does anyone have experience with this.
itsi

maran747
05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
I've found that it does feel safer holding with both hands because of the standing position. However, the amputee is probably used to balancing with one arm by now.
I think this is another type of person who can benefit the use of a folding seat on a Segway. Look at my topic below this - "Segway Seat." It would be like riding a bike with one hand. You feel more comfortable riding a bike with one hand than standing on a Segway with one hand because you are sitting down.
If the amputee has a prosthesis, it should help him just like a person holding the handlebar with 2 hands, but he probably doesnt use the prosthesis that much.

maran747

KSagal
05-24-2005, 03:55 PM
I ride with one hand all the time. I also ride with no hands quite frequently.

I also find that I have used my right hand, crossing in front of me to steer works just fine as well.

Your friend will have no problems as all, other than what he is already experiencing. Things like navigating thru doors and the like, with no way to hold the door open may be problematic.

Maran,

Most people that have added seats have found that the shifting of weight to go and stop was more difficult with a seat than without. How did you solve this issue?

I was thinking of a short slide, like those on a sliding shelf or drawer on the seat, where it attaches to the frame of the stool may solve this issue. What do you think?

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

wwhopper
05-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Karl - now just what are you doing with the other hand? - I know giving frendly waves at the crowds that gather between MA & NC!

I often find myself gliding one handed - especially in the colder weather - the other hand being in the pocket to stay warm. But I also know that on uneven pavement 2 hands are needed to hold on.

I have seen and ridden a right hand drive HT - it takes some getting used to - but it does work! I do not think that LLC sells them that way - you have to get a tinkerer to do it (and we have one in DCSEG!)

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

KSagal
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Will,

I would tell you what I am doing with the other hand; but then Pam would really have to shut us down... Ha Ha

I agree, when it gets rough, bad pavement or unexpected obsticles, two hands are prefered...

I still have more difficulties when my knees or legs are bothering me than when my hands or arms are...

Karl Ian Sagal

fredkap
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
One hand is fine for smooth surfaces but a large bump under the right wheel could make a right hand absolutely necessary for lateral safety. The Segway is a miracle device for many disabled individuals but may not be right for this individual.

Fred

KSagal
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
We, as a group seem to have gotten very defensive.

I use both hands, especially for stability, because I have both to use. This particular forum is about empowering those with special needs.

I am a disabled vet that is constantly being told of things that I cannot do, and my disabilities are minor compared to some and not particularly obvious.

I make it a point to not listen to most of that advice, especially when comming from someone not in a comparable situation.

I have both arms, so I don't know the challenges of having only one to use. If I was in a different situation, I would have different advice, but I believe that no situation should be dismissed without investigation.

In a similiar thread, some people were trashing the idea of a seat. In some situations, that changes the nature of a segway. I would not say there is no value however.

Itsi,

I would be happy to work with this individual, and after that, he and I could make a more informed statement.

I am quite sure that I would not be alone in this offer...

Karl Ian Sagal

SegwayBill
05-25-2005, 01:37 AM
The Segway is safe 99% of the time.
If one wheel gets hung up on a root or a piece of metal the machine will go into an unexpected yaw. When it has happened to me the sudden
turn has alwaya left me glad that I glige with both hands or I would have done a butt plant.
As to seat, again the 99% rule applies again, if you happen upon a slick surface and develope wheel spin the machine starts bucking and you need to get of pronto tonto, otherwise it is face plant time.
I have been banged up by my machine since Feb. 2003 and have the scars on my shins to prove it
Glide safely and hold on tight with both hands.

Bill

KSagal
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
It's nice and all for us that have two hands to say that we should use the seg with two hands.

It's nice for us that can stand for long periods of time to say that a seat is inappropriate.

What if we did not have the capacities that I listed above?

I drive a car. I use both hands when I do it. I sometimes drive with one hand on the wheel, and sometimes with both hands off the wheel for a short time.

If anything unexpected or disturbing happens or I suspect is about to happen, I always grab the wheel with both hands, usually at 10 and 2, to prepare for the event.

Are we saying that if I only had one hand, I should not drive? Of course not.

We use the tools we have to the best of our ability, and do our best. As long as our best does not put others in unreasonable risk, that is fine.

I have seen far more accidents in auto's from able bodied drivers that were distracted than from disabled drivers trying to and unable to deal with the task of driving...

If you have two hands, use them to glide safely. If you don't, work with what you have, practice and examine your skills, and make that determination yourself.

Most of us should give our opinions. We should just not forget that walking a mile (Gliding a mile?) in the other guys shoes is needed to fully understand his perspective...

Thanks to the Army and my many surgeries on my knee, I have been given a list of the many things I can no longer do. I am proud to say that I have done most of them...

With this reconstruction of my right knee, I climbed the tallest alp in Germany, I Skydived 1400 times, I climbed and hiked most of the presidential mountain range in New England, and many more things that I was told that could not be done by a man wiht one working knee.

Let's not write off this one-armed paperhanger just yet...

Karl Ian Sagal

fredkap
05-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Karl,

I agree that he can go for it, my concern is to point out the danger...then if he decides to go for it then his eyes are wide open. My enthusiasm is such that I would like to feel that it is the cure for every malady that exists but if someone that has lots to cope with gets an injury from bad advice on my part than what would that say about me.

A stabilizing bar to support his left hip should solve the issue.

Fred

KSagal
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Good points Fred. I ride an E, and forget that I do use my legs against the side bags for stability sometimes...

Eyes open is always better and needed for a complete assesment.

Karl Ian Sagal

driley
05-26-2005, 02:07 AM
I'm not picking on anyone's comments here, but do not lose site of the fact that what a Segway may add to the quality of life for an individual may far outweigh the risks of falling off of one.

If members of this group were to see me walking down the street, I would not be surprised if some would question my ability to get on and off of a Segway. I have a difficult time stepping up stairs and curbs and certainly cannot do so without either my cane or a handrail (both is what I typically use). Some would say this would preclude me from safely getting on a Segway. It absolutely does not.

My life has been dramatically changed as the result of owning a Segway. I commute to work every day of the year, rain or shine on my Seg. I use it constantly to do things and go places that I could not do before owning it.

I greatly encourage anyone with a disability who thinks that the Segway could help them, to give it a try, in a controlled environment. True it is not for everyone but I would hate to have anyone be discouraged by the safety police.

It is often difficult for the able bodied to look at people with disabilities and not feel as though they are somehow frail. Having a disability does not necessarily make a person frail. Though I have a difficult time walking due to a childhood illness that damaged the nerves in spine, I enjoy living life to its fullest. I have raced off-road motorcycles and find pushing my Seg to its limits to be the mildest form of adventure and a great addition to my life.

Devin

dgbint
05-26-2005, 03:37 AM
I think that people are talking at crossed purposes here.

If you glide anywhere near 10/10 of the HT's capability, then you really do need both hands. Especially for bumps, just like almost everybody agrees.

If however, you just want to get around in a mild manner, 2/10 say, the a one handed individual is probably fine.
Just take extra care with training and practice.

I am not a doctor, so I can't make any medical statements, but give it a try, be gentle and your expectations should be met.

Good Luck
Michael

tjnomad
06-16-2005, 01:29 AM
We actually modify handlebars for just this purpose so that a person with only the right hand active can operate the grip on the right side.
Please contact us at tim@tjsindustries.com or 408-265-3504 for further information.

BillM
06-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Tim,
I'm very impressed, wow and thanks for making that option available!

A couple years ago two elderly couples came into our store to ask about the segway and boy, I was on my game that day, I lit into an overview as I powered up my HT to show them and just as I started showing them use, capabilities... etc they stopped me and asked, about physical requirements. I reviewed the basics, short walk, stepping up and down unassisted... and finished with the ability to use your left hand.

One of the gentleman reached with his right hand to pull his left arm up and out of his pants pocket - it was dead. Just limp. The atrophine(?) made it look a twig and it moved like a wet noodle. He had had a stroke and it was only then that I noticed. The whole left side of his body was effected. Of the four, he was the reason they were there. He was the quiet one who stood in the back. My eyes welled up and I almost lost it in front of all of them. I was speachless. I recovered quickly by inviting him to step up onto the Segway. His friend helped and I controlled the HT. He had just enough mobility of the left leg to get on and off. He was in seventh heaven!

At the time there was nothing out there.

I'm glad you're out there now. I hope you find him or he finds you.

The guy with the destroyed hip is another story.

I trained a gentleman who is paralyzed to use a segway. I know ya'll wont believe me, but it's true. How did he get on? Sheer determination. Well the first time I did the same thing I did for the guy with the hip disorder and backed the segway to a curb and we scooted him on. I couldn't sell it to him. Technically there's no way he could pass training. So his therapist puchased one from me. Last I heard from him, he was using it every day and is still working in the real estate field. He's got one hellova a spirit!

Thanks
BM

Bill Mullen
JM Lexus
Margate, FL 33073
800 805-3987
billm@jmlexus.com