PDA

View Full Version : Segway seat

maran747
05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
I have a seat design for the Segway that will allow one to stand up or sit down without getting off - Safely. The sensors would be pressed and activated (replacing the feet of the rider) when the rider sits down.
I am contemplating in going into production and market with the seat but am not sure if there would be a return on the investment that would take to go on with this project. I have tweeked my design with a design and engineering firm that gives it a very professional look which is parallel to the contours and lines of the Segway. It will look like it came from Segway, so it is not just a bunch of cut up and welded aluminum.
A disabled person sitting down versus standing on a Segway would have less problems from security guards going into any building, mall or store. Coupled with a disabled placard in front of the handlebar, it help fend off anyone who might not welcome people on Segways.
Segway has never released any sales figures, I am thinking only about 15,000-20,000. Anyone out there have any guess what the market would be for a well designed seat for the Segway?
Also, can people with MS using Segways benefit in sitting down on a Segway versus standing?

maran747

FusionMag
05-24-2005, 11:05 AM
I dont think it would fly... I mean it may seem like a good idea but wouldnt that affect the forward or backward control of machine? All you would need is some sort of canopy and maybe some lights and for saftey sake additional wheels... wait - thats a car. Plus the safety commissions would have a hayday with that.

my $.02

maran747
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
To: FusionMag
Thanks for your brilliant analysis. But my seat will be sliding back and forth to adjust the weight. I've made 3 prototypes and the design works just fine. It is not for everyone, there some potential riders out there who cannot spend long periods standing and cannot buy or use a Segway because the absence of a seat option.
Again, the design allows the rider to get on standing up first and sit down or get up anytime during the ride.

maran747

FusionMag
05-24-2005, 04:25 PM
As a dealer I probably wouldn't sell it or recommend it. I mean... I dont want to be held liable. Plus that would make it that much more difficult to promote the segway and get them legalized everywhere.

You would have to think of the security of the rider. I know that LLC had a tough time at the very beginning (and still do at times) promoting the personal safety of every rider.

I just cant see safety with a seat.

Anyone else wanna chime in??

fredkap
05-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Leonard Timm (a double amputee) uses a platform and has no problems whatsoever. While his current platform was custom made by a fellow segger it is not for everyone and I believe that the manufacturer does not sell it to just anyone for legal liability issues. Unplanned dismounts, otherwise known as falls can range from something to laugh about to a serious injury or worse. For the right person the Seg is a miracle, for the wrong one it could be a serious injury waiting to happen. A sliding seat sounds to me to be another variable that could cause more trouble than it solves.

Fred

KSagal
05-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Am I the only one that wants to give this a shot?

I am not a great fan of having a seat, but for every need there is a solution. I am not ready to discount this possible solution without even investigating it.

I had mentioned the sliding seat to Maran without knowing he had posted about it here.

Either way, I believe there are all sorts of variations that have merit. Go to it Maran!

You should post some photo's of your seat. It would give us all a better idea of what you are talking about.

I know that a seat is not for everyone, but that doesn't mean it is not for anyone.

We should mellow out a bit, and be open to new ideas or variations on a theme.

Maran, don't let anyone squash your enthusiasm. Expect resistance, some of it is justified, but keep pulling for your ideas...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Mr. Protocol
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
It doesn't sound intrinsically unsafe to me. Surely it's not for everyone, but even those of us with healthy legs know what it's like to walk after a really long glide - you feel it.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm. Center of gravity would be greatly lowered, so the shift forward and back to accelerate and decelerate would have to be correspondingly greater. Braking time would be larger: much harder to perform a violent backward lunge to stop suddenly (we've all done that). But it still might be possible with practice.

The Centaur has a seat.

Yeah, why not?

Stewbonz
05-24-2005, 08:09 PM
With the new extended range batteries, a seat will be a good seller.

A sit-down Segway is easy to operate. No need for a sliding seat. Just lean foward. I've tried it.
A quick release parking stand would be helpfull in a safety shutdown situation.
Sitting low, causes lower visibility is the only downside.

(make the seat the same height as a wheelchair so the passenger can slide onto the Segway easily)

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

maran747
05-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks, Ksagal
Cant put up photos right now, due to intellectual property situation. But my website will be when I put it up in around late June to early July will be
www.segseat.com
This seat will look like it came from Segway. It is totally different from Leonard Timm's platform.
Just collecting opinions, thanks for all you feedback, see you in June-July.

maran747

legpain
05-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Maran, please post this over on DRAFT.CC There are a lot of people over there that would be interested in this. Disregard if you have!

John

Stewbonz
05-25-2005, 01:15 AM
You might test fitting the assembled setup into a car.
I suggest making the seat quickly detachable.

JEFF JARVIS

maran747
05-25-2005, 02:30 AM
John
Thanks for your suggestion, I have not posted anything in Draft, I did not know they had a forum.
Are you John H-- in Draft's members stories in Torrance? I also live in Torrance and own a Segway, don't see too many around here.
Was trying to get a hold of you to get your opinion. I see you have a damaged sciatic nerve. Can someone like you benefit from a seat? I'm getting knocked around by some members about a seat, which I welcome, need to know everyone's opinion about this, because I do not know what the market is.
My son has an artificial knee and has to use it occasionally when he goes to a theme park with friends or stroll around the beach. Kind of embarrassed to use it around school because of stares that one gets using it.
Can someone like you use a seat?
Please email me also: maran747@hotmail.com

maran747

billc
05-26-2005, 12:00 AM
My 2C ...
Not so much the seat that's an issue but mounting and dismounting (as already suggested).
Benefits for some may be there though.
Few are limited by their ability to stand and the Segway can have a dramatic effect on those with balance and balancing fatigue issues (and therefore getting on and off is a problem).

I think the "seat" can be a nice "add-on" but I'm thinking that the same person who may get this would likely be the same one who struggles to mopunt, dismount

There are certainly opther options too for the "more" disabled via the iBot

Bill Contoyannis
Manager / Rehabilitation Engineer, REHAB Tech
Centre for Biomedical Engineering - Monash University

maran747
05-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Billc
Thanks, for the input.
Lets just say there will be no difficulty getting on and off with my seat. I will reveal a photo and open my website public before the New Hampshire SegwayFest on July 8.
www.segseat.com
I plan on going to the New Hampshire SegwayFest and hope I do not get slam dunked over there. Hope everyone, specially Segway will welcome me. If not I will understand the issues.
From the standpoint of Segway, all I know is that it will only help their sales not hurt it. I am not a competitor. Anyone who buys my seat has to have a Segway. Also there are many out there who cannot use a Segway because of the fact of its lack of a seat, including their family members who will just buy a 2nd Segway to ride along with them with or without a seat.
I just hope that Segway is open minded enough to see the benefits versus closing up, stressing their agreement with J&J, or something.

Anymore comments out there? Please bring it on even if negative, need to see other viewpoints. Thank you.

maran747

billc
05-26-2005, 01:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by maran747

Billc

I just hope that Segway is open minded enough to see the benefits versus closing up, stressing their agreement with J&J, or something.

maran747

Look forward to July, BUT I fear you may have hit the nail on the head (above)

Bill Contoyannis

maran747
05-26-2005, 03:46 AM
billc
I have called most California Segway dealers and they all have had requests for a seat and are very much interested in what mine looks like. There definitely is a need for a seat, disabled or not. If Segway is smart they will leave me alone and allow their retailers to sell my seat as a 3rd party after market vendor, and tap into another market I know Segway is very well aware of. They just do not want to admit it because of the deal with J&J, and I am sure their brilliant engineers could have put out a seat by now fancier than mine if they could have.
The Segway is one of the most incredible products we've all come across and has so much more potential than how it is presently being marketed. There are so many more people who can be helped greatly by a Segway with a seat.
In DRAFT, a member mentioned "the Segway saved his life," and he doesnt need a seat. Just think of ones who will be able to get around because of a seat. These people are not disabled enough to use a wheelchair. It will be almost criminal to not give these people this alternative just because of a contractual agreement of 2 big companies.
I hope J&J and Segway will see this seat will not be competing with a $29,000 unit, and stand aside and allow the Segway to be used to all of its full potential.

maran747

pam
05-26-2005, 08:05 AM
quote:It will be almost criminal to not give these people this alternative just because of a contractual agreement of 2 big companies.

Maran, if you looked at the possibility of losing your company, I think that you'd be very protective. I don't fault LLC in their position. (And it's not a "big company" - it's a small one. Give it some time, it'll be big someday, but not at this time.)

That said, others have produced 3rd party seats (Wayne and Leonard are two I can think of, there may be more) and there has been no problem with LLC on that. I'd say, go ahead with what you're doing.
Pam

maran747
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Pam
Thanks for your reply and support.
LLC might not be a big company but it has a lot more money than me.
I've seen Leonard's seat, havent seen Wayne's. Do you know where I can see his seat?
One thing about them is they are not pushing it out in the market as a 3rd party after market accessory.
But I would not be suprised if LLC does come at me and not give any support. It would be great if they do not and allow the Segway to grow the way it should, it has so much more potential than being used by healthy able bodied people.
But, LLC again should look at the potential market of additional family members who might buy a 2nd Segway just so they can ride along with the one who bought it because of a seat. There are so many ways to spread the use of this remarkable machine, and get the general public to accept it more like a bicycle instead of a threatening, rich lazy man's machine.

maran747

JaredHT
05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
quote:They just do not want to admit it because of the deal with J&J, and I am sure their brilliant engineers could have put out a seat by now fancier than mine if they could have.

While I think a seat might be a fine addition for some it would require the user to understand that they are not riding the HT as intended and therefore may pose some degree of risk to themselves and others.

It's a safe assumption that LLC has considered seats for the HT, and while I'm no engineer, I'm sure they had a reason for excluding them thus-far. Also, I can't see that adding a seat would affect the J&J/iBot agreement...apples & oranges.

Peace,

JaredHT
Jared M. Cavalier
Segway of Ohio
888.6SEGWAY(673.4929)

legpain
05-26-2005, 01:51 PM
Hey Maran747,

Let's put this in perspective, what I heard Doug Field say at Segfest Sac was that they welcome third party developers. I’m hoping that other attendees at the fest remember this for corroboration. You will have NO problems with Segway; they aren’t going to insure you. That’s your problem. I can’t use a seat but would love to come over and check it out and review it for this chat board. E-mail me at hainey@speakeasy.net

John

maran747
05-26-2005, 02:14 PM
JaredHT
Segway has an agreement with J&J not to market the Segway HT as a medical device. Segway could have easily added a seat optional accessory from the get go, a seat is not like designing the Apollo rocket or the Segway itself, but that would have made it too close to a medical assistive device. I'm not certain of course, but what else would it be unless they do just want to stay on course as strictly a standing HT.
Using a seat on a Segway will need learning of course, but anyone who has gone to that far using the Segway, will be a no-brainer using my seat.
What I'm saying I guess is a seat will not only help a great number of people who can use it for medical reasons, but there is also another market out there of potential buyers sitting on the fence that would nudge them over because of a seat option. We are all here trying to spread the use of this great machine, why put any stops of any kind now.

maran747

Stewbonz
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
If you build it, they will come.

Alot of folks will buy a Segway if a seat attachment is available.

JEFF JARVIS

billc
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Jeff...you put it so succinctly....

In fact despite everything else (and I excpect Segway LLC will ytake the same stance) this is not a medical or therapeutic device (Segway or seat)....and the retailers aren't selling these for any specific disability purpose! In fact there is no OFFICIAL requirement for it at all......
.....but gee, if it's there and people want to buy it..???

;)

Bill Contoyannis

Stewbonz
05-26-2005, 10:30 PM
I've been marketing my tour to disabled travelers.
I'll probably buy a seat attachment or two...

JEFF JARVIS

KSagal
05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
I cannot nor would not try to predict how Segway would react, But I think you are over thinking it.

I have Spinners and lights and all manner of modifications to my 'e'. I was at an event in Bedford at LLC and saw Dean K.

At one point, with Doug right there, I indicated to Dean that I was embarassed for all the crap I had added to Dean's slick device. All I got in return was a very nice and very cordial response that all I did was make the machine more reflect my vision.

Very polite and no one seemed unhappy.

Go ahead and do your mods. Sell them as aftermarket. Everybody wins. Just do not expect or ask for an official endorcement. I don't think that will happen. Big or small, it is a very conservative company when it comes to the name and logo...

That is how I have seen it anyway...

Karl Ian Sagal

slide4less
05-27-2005, 07:48 PM
I make all kinds of things for the segway I say go for it if it works get it out there people call all the time asking about a seat and its on my list of things to make at segway of oakland we have a problem getting segways to sell delays from segway would of killed me if I didnt have thease things to sell the unbrakeable kickstand still#1 the Trailer #2 and as a Dealer we need to sell each others stuff and I would sell a seat if it works if its not safe I wont sell But if the Buyer wants it we need to give them wat they want
steve steinberg segway of oakland 510 832-2429 www.segwayofoakland.com
www.segwayjunkyard.com

slide4less

maran747
05-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Anyone else out there if you've just read this foruum the 1st time, if you have any opinions about having a seat for the Segway, please post it here, positive or negative. I'm coming out with a seat in July hopefully reveal it at the Segwayfest in Manchester.
Response to this idea, so far, has beenpositive overall and I am hoping Segway welcomes my seat and not bar any of their authorized dealers from selling it, which again would not suprise me or blame Segway for any concerns they may have.
I will also reveal photos in a website that I'll open on July 8, the 1st day of the Segwayfest in Manchester. Anyone who wants to try it on a Segway should attend.
www.segseat.com - (not open until July 8).

maran747

Suzie
05-31-2005, 05:31 PM
I would be very interested in your design concept. I tried your website link but nothing is there. When will you have photos?

I'm reluctant to provide personal info or receive emails from this site (Segwaychat) but if you post on Draft, I would like to discuss this in more detail.

:)

maran747
05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Suzie
I plan on making the website available on July 8, about the same day as the SegwayFest in Manchester which I plan on attending. You will not be able to open the website until that time. I just want to allow Segway to have a look at the seat first hand in front of owners and potential users. As you've probably read, I'm concerned of Segway trying to block me from marketing this seat without taking a look at the seat 1st.
What is your member's name in DRAFT LLC? Could not find you.

maran747

billc
05-31-2005, 08:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by maran747

Suzie
I'm concerned of Segway trying to block me from marketing this seat without taking a look at the seat 1st.
maran747

Don't think Segway can or will try and do that...the worst you'll get is ignored!

BTW when are the pictures available? (Just kidding!)

Bill Contoyannis

maran747
05-31-2005, 09:42 PM
billc
LLC might not be able to stop me from marketing, but I'm not sure if they can stop their authorized dealers from buying from me and selling it in their stores. That would be a big big thing if they will be able to, because I've gotten more interest than not from the dealers I called in California.

maran747

billc
05-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Fair call...but I doubt that will happen also.....any trouble may arise if it "represented" as an official accessory. Dealers with exclusive supply agreements may be in trouble...but ones that sell a bunch of other stuff also (which I hope is most) ...would be no problem. Beyond that I think the worst will be the polite cold shoulder.

Worse comes to worse your whole distribution stragtegy changes...but that doesn'y necessarily cahnge the fact that if it's an "effcetive product+people want it" = should be successful

good luck!...now go to sleep!

Bill Contoyannis

maran747
05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Daddy, 4 ur support.....hope ur right..

maran747

Dragan
06-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Maran,
As far as my personal opinion regarding seats go; I don't have one. I'd rather see the product hand and
form an informed position. That said, I have a vigorous market group with MS sufferers, many of whom have
expressed significant interest in seat options. I haven't recommended anything currently available because I'm
personally not comfortable with the designs, but yours sounds intriguing.

I've mentioned your upcoming announcement to several of them and we collectively will be watching with great interest
to see what you've got.
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

maran747
06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Wayne
Great to hear that. I just got back from the design/engineering firm that is helping tweek the design, they keep adding features that is really enhancing to the whole piece, you will not be disappointed. Again I cant show it until July 8 in front of LLC.
Glad to hear it can possibly help people who have difficulty walking long distances, I think it will.
I'm still constructing my website, it will be
www.segseat.com

M.

maran747

vpv
06-14-2005, 01:35 AM
On our last group glide in Santa Monica/Venice this month, I spoke to a lady who insisted she wont buy a Segway unless they have seats :) She was very adamant about it too :) I offered her a demo ride and she declined coz it didn't have a seat.....

maran747
06-15-2005, 12:34 AM
vpv
I think there are a lot of - only if - buyers out there. LLC doesnt really want the Segway to be marketed as a med assistive, but it is something that they will not be able to stop. I think it'll help them in the long run because other family members will probably want one just to keep up or just to go gliding along. Many people can use wheelchairs but do not want to use one, just because - the Segway is a God send alternative.

maran747

jboone
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Dude - you know what to do - just do it. Go Maran747! I use my machine every day and could use a seat like now. Don't stop - never give up. It's all good....

Jeff Boone

Stewbonz
06-23-2005, 09:10 PM
"LLC doesnt really want the Segway to be marketed as a med assistive, but it is something that they will not be able to stop."

J&J doesn't want SegwayLLC marketing the Segway as a medical device.

If a thousand people buy a Segway because your seat attachment is available,
you and SegwayLLc will be sitting pretty.

JEFF JARVIS

billc
07-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi, saw the website, Nice graphics and it would be good to see a few images soon.
I expect the seat does not sit as far vback as the graphic shows it...also wondered about shin rests as used in most standing frames or standing wheelchairs may be an option too (Can even be used with the seat folded away.)

Bill Contoyannis

macgeek
07-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I saw the seat at segfest and it is AWESOME, takes up almost NO space on your platform, and is really REALLY well designed. People were sittin and zipping around on it.

I hope he does REALLY well with it!

Jonathan

"Think outside the car"

KSagal
07-11-2005, 01:10 PM
As with all options, some will want it, some may not.

I also saw and rode the seg with the seat. It was great. It is the kind of thing that you could add and only use sparingly, yet it would not be a hinderance to be on the machine...

I particularly liked the fact that you could stay on the platform, gliding, and either engage the seat, or alternately, decide to stand and stow the seat away, all while on the move...

Lastly, a great feature, even with the seat up, you can just stand up if it gets rough or you want to make a manuver, then just sit down again. You do not need to stow it if you don't want...

Good luck with this great product!

Karl Ian Sagal

maran747
07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Bill,
The answer to your question about the seat being far back. I have not been able to load the picture which shows the seat is able to slide forward and backwards for weight transfer. It is that far back to get it out of the way of your legs when standing.
The site is still under construction, we will try to upload pictures of the actual unit throughout the week, and hopefully finish everything by Friday.

Received tremendous reception on the seat at the fest, including LLC.

Mario

maran747

maran747
07-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the post, Jonathan and Karl,

Just got back from the fest. Great time with BBQ and invading Dean Kaman's house.
I got tremendous response on my seat, more than I was hoping for, including from LLC. People were amazing both from attendees and LLC. Had about 80 attendees, couldn't understand why it wasn't more.
Hopefully, it will be an annual event at Dean's house.

Met Karl and Jonathan, very entertaining people, espcially their Segways.

Mario

maran747

Stewbonz
07-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Estimated retail?

JEFF JARVIS

billc
07-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks....and what Jeff said (asked?)

Bill Contoyannis

Tarkus
07-11-2005, 10:39 PM
The price is now on the website.

Zorba9
07-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Very ingenious! $750 is kinda steep, but then so is $5000 for an HT. Great for folks that need it. Kool that you got Dean to try it (pic is on Red Key).

KOG

Zorba9.....

Kevinakohls
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
I tried (and liked!) the seat as well. Like the Segway, it's one of those things you gotta try, to see how well it works, and to appreciate the quality of workmanship!

Kevin

The goal of the glide is not the destination.

woodenapple
07-19-2005, 11:43 AM
I just checked segseat.com again to see if you have any more links active yet. I noticed your version of the 'flyguy' for the first time. That is a very clever adaptation, and I guess it is different enough from the original that Segway shouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe you could refer to it as the 'sitguy'.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

Stewbonz
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
We had some fun with the Fly Guy Logo.
Our first run of shirts and hats had this Logo: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/youngjarvis/detail?.dir=7d3a&.dnm=b67a.jpg&.src=ph

Discontinued and collectable...

JEFF JARVIS

Wallace
07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Where on the website is a reference to PRICE?

I looked at 10:30 CDST 7/20/2005.

No numbers of any kind are found.

Tripod and ROVER

Tarkus
07-20-2005, 01:10 PM
It was there but now it's gone.......maybe now it's FREE.

See the original Tarkus for yourself.
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/E/elp_tarkus.html

KSagal
07-20-2005, 03:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tarkus

It was there but now it's gone.......maybe now it's FREE.

See the original Tarkus for yourself.
http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/E/elp_tarkus.html

If it is, I may get two!

Karl Ian Sagal

slide4less
07-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Will you have a Dealer Price?
I want 6 as soon as you start selling
thanks Steve Steinberg segway of Oakland 510 832-2429

slide4less

slide4less
07-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Will you have a Dealer Price?
I want 6 as soon as you start selling
thanks Steve Steinberg segway of Oakland 510 832-2429

slide4less

womo
07-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Maran,

A most interesting product - and a very interesting discussion thread flow!

Except one or two early, maybe unthoughtfully categorizing anwers, I have been watching a development towards almost suggestive and positive reactions upon your creation, so I would like to say: GO ON !

For others reading this contribution:

Maybe a curiosity for people in the US / other parts of the world: in Germany, for a still pending permission (intentionally allowing Segways to be used on public grounds), one of the arguments used by the KBA authority (Kraftfahrtbundesamt) against such a permission was: "the vehicle has no seat to allow the rider to safely control such a vehicle . . .", another one was "the vehicle does not provide two independant break systems" (which is not true due to the implemented redundancy in the Segways).

So far so good . . . but still GO ON !

Despite the mentioned: please don't think that Germans in general are so short-sighted and: Germany provides not less than 1/3 of the market power of the USA . . .

Salve di WOMO

Robert Madden
08-14-2005, 01:19 AM
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8895/segwaytwo4nk.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Post through imageshack.com

Red Buffalo
01-11-2006, 01:13 AM
I would like one-- I have a Segway and would like to sit at times. I have seen some pictures in past and found a site that looks promising but I do not know price. Segseat.com I thinkcheck it iout and if you have a design or seat I could buy I would beinterested. email me at jpalmm@cox.net thanksquote:Originally posted by maran747

I have a seat design for the Segway that will allow one to stand up or sit down without getting off - Safely. The sensors would be pressed and activated (replacing the feet of the rider) when the rider sits down.
I am contemplating in going into production and market with the seat but am not sure if there would be a return on the investment that would take to go on with this project. I have tweeked my design with a design and engineering firm that gives it a very professional look which is parallel to the contours and lines of the Segway. It will look like it came from Segway, so it is not just a bunch of cut up and welded aluminum.
A disabled person sitting down versus standing on a Segway would have less problems from security guards going into any building, mall or store. Coupled with a disabled placard in front of the handlebar, it help fend off anyone who might not welcome people on Segways.
Segway has never released any sales figures, I am thinking only about 15,000-20,000. Anyone out there have any guess what the market would be for a well designed seat for the Segway?
Also, can people with MS using Segways benefit in sitting down on a Segway versus standing?

maran747

Red Buffalo
01-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I like the idea of a Segway seat. I want one or the plans to build one. I have seen some pictures that look good. Check out this site it looks good but new and I do not know the price but I want one for my HT
http://www.segseat.com/index.html

pam
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Welcome, Red Buffalo. It's nice to see someone else here from Niceville, FL. What model do you have?
Pam

Tarkus
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Last time a price was talked about for the Segseat was around $800.00. Still no price or avail. on the web site. Looks like a nice product.

We'll see....

Nelda
01-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Now I know it cost alot to develop these things, but does anyone besides myself think that $800.00 is a tad bit high?!?

maran747
01-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Sorry I haven't responded lately. The Segseat will have a suggested retail price of $749.00. It will be available either through Segway dealers or direct with Segseat.

maran747

Runway01
02-01-2006, 05:35 AM
I agree, it is slightly too expensive to be a bestseller, even though I might buy it if nobody else comes up with an alternative.

Tarkus
02-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I would assume that these are being made almost as "one-offs" as the market for this product is very limited. That can be $$$$.

Still $750.00 is big peice of change.

Rocktopper
02-01-2006, 09:17 PM
By my calendar it is past late January. I check the web site daily. When can we get some busness conducted?

Rocktopper

Vietnam Veterans of America : "Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

Tarkus
02-01-2006, 11:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Rocktopper

By my calendar it is past late January. I check the web site daily. When can we get some busness conducted?

Rocktopper

Vietnam Veterans of America : "Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

You can't sell a product thats not ready for market. They will be for sale when the company is in a position to launch the seat.

This is a private buis. and they will be ready when they feel the time is right.

Tarkus
02-15-2006, 02:04 AM
It's on its way . See buy/Sell forum.

slide4less
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I make custom parts and I think the Seat is the Coolst thing this year for Segway owners with new batterys you need a seat

slide4less

maran747
03-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Might want to read reviews of one of our first buyers of the Segseat at

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13129

Mario
Segseat LLC
www.segseat.com

maran747

Rice1411
03-19-2006, 12:03 AM
The Segseat is a great concept, however it will never become successful unless all of the dealers sell and promote the seat. In my humble opinion, the seat could actually give Segway Inc. and all of its affiliates some leverage in the widespred acceptance of segway usage on sidewalks and on federal and private property. If the disabled community embraces the segway; property managment at places like the Beverly Center in Beverly Hills, Ca will start viewing segway usage on property as normal and conventional. American citizens all over would come to accept the segway.(check out www.draft.org-there are pix of some handicaped; even people with both legs amputated riding segways, comforatably.) However, the seat must be comforatable, and very high-end. THE seat needs to be set up to be sold for at least $1000-1200. The actual seat should be high quality leather with memory foam inside to act as a cushion and relieve pressure points. If Segseat were my entity, I would sell it to the dealers wholesale for $500 and set the retail price for $1500. This way the dealers have an incentive to sell the product, the product will generate more unit sales, thus hihgly benefiting both SegSeat and the dealers, and segway.

Ryan S. Rice

Tarkus
03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
IMHO Segway has enough on their hands just trying to sell HT's.
A seat was never in the plan. It was about standing. There are all ready a ton of sit down scooters.

The Segway was never planned as a "mobility aid" so a seat was a moot point.

As far as DRAFT, most here know the site as it's the first thread on this page.
The main market will be for those, like myself, who use the Seg as a mobility device. So with the HT being $5000.00 out of pocket another $1500.00 would kill the product.

I have no butt left at all and can live with the comfort of the seat as is, no need for leather here.

It's a limited market product and Mario and Co. has done a nice job on the product.

If you want people to accept the Se do as I do. Take the HT and the info from DRAFT and go try to gain entry. Thats how change will happen. Grass roots, not INC.

This week both the NCAA HOOPS & The PGA tour will see me and my SEG.

March Madness no problem, I'll let you know about The Players Championship.

Regards,
Alan

Alfred
04-02-2006, 10:09 AM

maran747
How about a picture?

bystander
04-02-2006, 12:20 PM
How about a picture?You may have overlooked this link on an ealier post in this thread:

www.segseat.com (http://www.segseat.com)

Many pictures there.