PDA

View Full Version : Carying a laptop

yosgof
05-22-2005, 04:29 PM
As you may have read in my other posting one of the reason for buying an I180 is to be able to freely travel between my various consulting jobs downtown Tel Aviv thus increasing the efficiency (and turn over).

Actually I bought the HT just because I wanted one and the above statement is just a rationalization but… I am sidetracking here so back to the point.

My tool of the trade is a laptop (IBM T42). When taking a demo ride at the dealer (didn’t get my I180 yet) I found out the T42 does not fit in the 12.0 bag. The bag doesn’t close and the last thing I want to happen is to send my laptop flying because I had to stop and the bag wasn’t zipped.

The two other options I can think of are using the 25.0 side bag or gliding with a backpack. Now the 25.0 makes the I180 less slick looking whereas gliding with a back pack is just too hot in the Tel Aviv typical summer day.

Anything else I could use? Your kind advise please.

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

KSagal
05-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Yossi,

The way I see it you have a problem that is two fold.

1st, you need a secure and convenient way to carry your computer that is not too ugly,

and 2nd, when the computer is not on the seg, the bracket or whatever you use should not adversly effect the aesthetics of the seg...

The 180 is slick and polished looking. You don't want a chunky bracket and bag to take away from the look.

I am in a odd position to speak, as my e167 is a complete Rube Goldberg mess of wild additions. I am not a fit and finish type person, but I understand the topic.

There were many aftermarket items that were created for the earlier machines. Many of the web sites are still active. Many were heavy duty and looked it and I don't think that goes too well with the 180.

Look around, there were some slick over the fender mounts that looked polished, but I have not seen too many lately.

I might suggest that you could use a laptop bag that you modify to hang from the handlebar from velcro. This way you could just un-zip the velcro and take it with you, leaving the seg in it cleanest form.

I have many storage solutions that I have employed, and continue to supply some, but what looks good on a vintage e167 (did I say vintage?) is not the same as what works on a new slick 180.

Good luck and good gliding.

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

SegwayUtah
05-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Yossi,

I would consider getting one of the black 25.0 bags (or titanium, from Segway of Orange County if you're worried about heat)--and then just put it over your shoulders while riding. This is what I do, since I don't like the brace on the side so much.

I ride around like that in just about any weather, including high heat. When you're moving, you're being a bit "air conditioned" so it's not bad at all.

Chris

segwayowner
05-22-2005, 04:56 PM
yosgof, I personally have been looking at the 25.0 bag for my laptop, and I dont think it looks that bad. I think the functionality of the bag overrides the lack of stylishness...It is easy to take the bag off the frame, and the bag holds a ton! I think everybody will be so surprised to see a segway in tel aviv that having the bag wont make any difference.

DES: Segway owner....
it has a nice ring to it
Dont take a ride, take a G L I D E. . .

yosgof
05-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Karl,

Thanks for your reply. Your assessment of my problem is absolutely correct.

I've been trying to find the items you mentioned on the web however was not successful. Can you please add some relevant links?

I was also thinking of modifying a bag using Velcro however I was hoping some one has already done that [8D]

Chris - Thanks, I’ll try that.

Segwayowner – Surprised they will be indeed. But having the bag around would bug me.

I see that this problem is common to many owners.

- Yossi

Stewbonz
05-22-2005, 08:02 PM
A smaller computer?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

KSagal
05-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Yossi,

On ebay right now is an aluminium (I think) fender storage device. It looks like diamond plate to me. It is of the sort that I was thinking of.

I may work, but I think it might be too much.

There is also a set of lower cargo structure and bags. (The ebay add says 'I' bags, but they are the stock 'E' bags that they later started to sell to put on the 'I' machines after they discontinued the 'E'.

I have the latter, but I only use one side bag. This is because I have an E. They do take away from some of the sveltness of the machine however. It is like having a large roof rack on your ferrari. Not a big deal to some, not what others want.

I will look around for accessory bags, but you can do the same. I would start, as most searches do these days with a Google for Segway accessories.

If I find anything, I'll post it.

One last thing. Segway HT America (Out of Texas, I believe) had a great promtional item at Segfest 04. It was a backpack (I know that doesn't excite you) but it had a great twist that I liked. It only had one strap, that goes over the right shoulder and toward the left hip. It connects with a velcro strap and a clip. I like it, because it goes on and off so easily, and does not ride like a backpack, but more like a tote bag. It is secure however. I know it is a simple thing, but it was my first exposure to something like this. I believe it is big enough to do the job. They had many inovative items, and may start my search there.

Jared, from Ohio, has a dealership, and seems like an okay guy. He posts here alot, so check with him for ideas. I only mention him because I met him.

There are many dealers that post regularly that seem to have a great attitude. Wayne in Canada is often offering helpful solutions to issues that come up here on the chat. I am afraid to stop because there are so many great folks that I have met that are in the business, and I don't want to leave anyone out...

You may want to post the dimentions of the computer you are trying to accomodate, and see if anyone offers up a solution for you...

I've gone on too long already. Good luck.

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Segway City
05-22-2005, 11:57 PM
http://www.kcaps.com/segway.html

yosgof
05-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Jeff – the T42 is the killer application of laptops. Changing it? As much as I love the Segway…[:I]

Segway City – Great link, thanks.

Kark – Thanks for your extensive input. Some great ideas in there. I will definitely explore some more.

As I am not located in the US, the prices of shipping some of this stuff over to Israel may be prohibitive at least when the ratio of price to benefit is involved.

Yesterday, after posting this thread I was advised by my wife ("She who must be obeyed") of a place that sells all sorts of Velcro (for the lack of a better word) stuff. So once I get my HT I will probably do lots of Velcroing and if something useful or handy comes out of it I'll post the results.

- Yossi

Scotty
05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I have the 25.0 bag and use it for many things, Segway cable lock, etc. I prefer to put my laptop in a backpack, it helps soften the bumps to the laptop. The backpack works great for the laptop.