PDA

View Full Version : What do i look for in a used 167

johnberry
05-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Trying to buy a used seg'. Found one in Spain. I'm in the uk. Have a friend in Spain who will try it. D'ont know what to ask him to look out for. Can anyone help.
john berry

terryp
05-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Have your friend:

1) Make sure the control shaft height adjusts smoothly.
2) Loosen the adjusting ring all the way to look for broken 'fingers' on the clamp.
3) Remove the control shaft and check the connectors and the insulation on the cables. A little chafing is okay, but if any bare wire shows, I wouldn't risk it.
4) Ride it to see if the gears sound okay (some backlash is normal).

Battery condition will probably be something you can't verify. The HT is so rugged that if it runs and doesn't show obvious signs of abuse, it's probably going to be fine.

Segway - What's holding you up?

johnberry
05-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Terry,
Thanks for quick response.
I assume it is easy to remove control shaft?
JOHN BERRY

terryp
05-22-2005, 12:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by johnberry

Terry,
Thanks for quick response.
I assume it is easy to remove control shaft?
JOHN BERRY

Yes - you just collapse the shaft, loosen one bolt at the base, and lift it out far enough to examine the cables.

Good luck!

Segway - What's holding you up?

Mr_Laurenzano
05-22-2005, 02:07 AM
Trying to buy a used....

Why dont you ask....
and then again have you seen....
a hop .... a skip..... and a jump....?
segameriaca.com

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

gbrandwood
05-22-2005, 07:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Mr_Laurenzano

Trying to buy a used....

Why dont you ask....
segameriaca.com
I'm completely lost with what Mr Laurenzano is on about. It's probably me, but the last few posts I've seen don't make any sense. Apologies if I'm missing an obvious gag!

Anyway, John, nice to hear a fellow resident of the realm is looking to buy a seg.

You may already know, but you can buy used segs direct from a seller in the UK based in London (Planetmoto - they have a site and advertise on Google). They sEll new segs also, but the official supplier and dealer in the UK is BAE Systems. A guy called Andy Hughes (check out segway's international dealer page for direct contact details) is very helpful and very good at replying to emails etc. Also, being the official dealer, I guess they've got the full backup and support from LLC. But, I don't know if they sell used stock.

eBay is another potential source but there are that many cons, you need to be real careful. I sold one on eBay to a guy in Germany and whole transaction was super smooth.

If I was buying used, I'd also look at the condition of the fenders so as to give an inication of how well the machine has been treated. Minor scratches are enevitable but lots may = abuse. Check the underside of the batteries to see how badly marked they are and even check to see if the batteries can be removed. Sometimes the threads get knackered and can't easily/safely be removed/installed.

Check for red or blue mode button. Red = older. If red, ask whether the software has been upgraded from 10 to 12.

Check it comes with all the keys. There should be 4: 2 x red, 1 black, 1 yellow.

Check the serial number (under the mat I think) to see whether it is stolen - check back here or give LLC a quick call.

Check the tyres - check their tread and look for any obvious puncture plugs. When your friend rides it, see if it puls to the left or right indicating a difference in pressure which may indicate a puncture.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Gareth (also in the UK!)

(this is my 99th post!)

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

Sal
05-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Ah, I'm glad to see MR Laurenzano is back to his old self!

Fa fa fa!!!

I love reading your posts MR L!

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

Sal
05-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Oops, forgot to add, TerryP and Gareth have hit it right on the head.

Control shaft, tires, sounds, fenders, tires, pulling, software, mode button, I'd also take the control shaft off and take a look at the plugs and pins to make sure they're in good shape as well as conditions of the wires, I have heard of wire chafing taking place which could cause a safety shut down. Additionally, I'd also take the mat off and check the condition of the powerbase itself. Check that the kickstand is also intact. It's minor, but in addition to the keys, etc, check that the unit has all it's gearbox screw hole stoppers... I"m a bit anal retentive about completeness.

Good luck with your purchase, and keep us posted.

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

johnberry
06-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your help.
Have bought it now, Its on its way from Spain no, hope the batteries will get it here (joke). Only £1000 anyway.
Yes, spent a lot of time talking to Planet Moto. Found we had a great many common points of interest.
However, as i can buy P133's in the US for $2700 it is difficult fot them to sell me one. Unfortunately not very impressed with BAE. They cant upgrade and dont want to service Segs' they have not supplied. This is really the factory's fault as a sucessful market cannot be generated with this type of "old fashioned" servicing policy. They should make sure that any owner from anywhere can get service. They make a good product but they sure need to change their attitude if they want to sell internationally.quote:Originally posted by gbrandwood

quote:Originally posted by Mr_Laurenzano

Trying to buy a used....

Why dont you ask....
segameriaca.com
I'm completely lost with what Mr Laurenzano is on about. It's probably me, but the last few posts I've seen don't make any sense. Apologies if I'm missing an obvious gag!

Anyway, John, nice to hear a fellow resident of the realm is looking to buy a seg.

You may already know, but you can buy used segs direct from a seller in the UK based in London (Planetmoto - they have a site and advertise on Google). They sEll new segs also, but the official supplier and dealer in the UK is BAE Systems. A guy called Andy Hughes (check out segway's international dealer page for direct contact details) is very helpful and very good at replying to emails etc. Also, being the official dealer, I guess they've got the full backup and support from LLC. But, I don't know if they sell used stock.

eBay is another potential source but there are that many cons, you need to be real careful. I sold one on eBay to a guy in Germany and whole transaction was super smooth.

If I was buying used, I'd also look at the condition of the fenders so as to give an inication of how well the machine has been treated. Minor scratches are enevitable but lots may = abuse. Check the underside of the batteries to see how badly marked they are and even check to see if the batteries can be removed. Sometimes the threads get knackered and can't easily/safely be removed/installed.

Check for red or blue mode button. Red = older. If red, ask whether the software has been upgraded from 10 to 12.

Check it comes with all the keys. There should be 4: 2 x red, 1 black, 1 yellow.

Check the serial number (under the mat I think) to see whether it is stolen - check back here or give LLC a quick call.

Check the tyres - check their tread and look for any obvious puncture plugs. When your friend rides it, see if it puls to the left or right indicating a difference in pressure which may indicate a puncture.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Gareth (also in the UK!)

(this is my 99th post!)

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

pam
06-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Goodness, you'd think that if they couldn't make money off you with the sale, they'd at least be happy to make money with the service. Hope you're satisfied with the unit. It's one of the best purchases I ever made!
Pam

fathertime
06-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Johnberry,
Just curious...what dealers are selling for $2700.00?

JR