PDA

View Full Version : Hill Climbing Limit

Tanner
05-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Just wondering, but what is the reason for the hill climbing limit of 20 degrees? Only thing I can think of is the loss of traction of the wheels and slipping and falling.

-Tanner

----------------
Tanner S.

Dragan
05-21-2005, 08:55 AM
you got it.There are videos of the Segway going up much steeper slopes than than (especially the XT, or a 170 with Zorbas tires on it) but remeber without traction you have no balance, without balance it's face plant time and it happens in a flash
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

gbrandwood
05-21-2005, 09:33 AM
I went up a really steep hill just to see if my i167 could cope (std tyres). I took it *very* slowly with one foot hanging off in case it slipped. The face changed from a smile to a 'strain', but it got me up!

Can't really quantify the angle, but the surface was smooth, dry asphalt.

Surely it's not just grip that comes in to it? Is it not the power available from the motors and battery charge that also has an effect?

Would going down a hill be easier or harder on the seg? From a safety point of view, I think it would be safer going up as your not going fall so far (unless you fall backwards!).

But in direct answer to your question, I think it's just LLC being extra safe, setting safe limits.

G

-

To segue, or not to segue, that is the question.

pam
05-21-2005, 10:21 AM
We had a series of threads over this some time ago, and in one of them, a list member (RWC) said
quote: When talking about how to determine the steepness of roads or sidewalks for gliding, a friend told me that asphalt cannot be applied to slopes steeper than 10 degrees. I made a quick web search and came up with some good news. It appears that it is extremely unlikely that any of us will meet a slope of 20 DEGREES while on public or other surfaces built with permits and Bldg. Dept. oversight. The steepest slope in SF is 13.9 DEGREES. Keep in mind that 45Degrees = 100Percent.

Over the phone, a paving contractor said that 20 PERCENT (10 degrees) is the max... but you could go a little more if you had to, "it can be done" to 13-15 degrees.

His comments are in
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4034

Other interesting threads on this same issue are at
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1525
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4170

I found them using the SC search feature, searching on slope.

Pam

Zorba9
05-21-2005, 11:15 AM
If the tires will grip, the HT can climb it! I regularly climb extreme slopes off-road with studded tires. The HT will be in "straight face" and often riding against the stick-shake, yet it keeps climbing without shutdown. My 10.0 Segs climb faster with less stick-shake than my 12.0 model, but neither will shutdown under this extreme duress. I'ld love to be able to compare them to the XT program in this situation.

KOG

Zorba9.....

Mr_Laurenzano
05-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Climbing hills is a art much like sking down hill just do it backwards. "Gladiators"

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

Dragan
05-21-2005, 03:22 PM
going downhill is the most challenging mechanically and electronically for the machine. A downhill decreasing speed run places the gratest amount of strain on the system, and is what the weight limits are established against as a benchmark. It's kind of the worst case scenario for the machine to accomodate
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca