PDA

View Full Version : Segways in the Rain

ZoliHonig
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
What do you guys do when it rains?

I took my segway out today for about 4 hours of class with light rain. I parked it next to the building, so it didn't get as much accumulation there. I covered the handlebars with a plastic bag.

When I came back, my 235.0 bag had an inch of water in it! Also the mat was completely flooded. Every nook and cranny was filled with water. The machine started fine, it just was very wet.

So unless its a lioght drizzle, I don't think I'm gonna take my seg anymore.

So what do you do it the rain?

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

woodenapple
05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
I have never left mine parked out in the rain, and don't know if that situation would really arise in my useage style. But I glide in the rain all the time by just slipping my poncho on. Often I will even drape the poncho over the handlebars while I glide.

Others on the Chat have mentioned little covers they created for the key port and/or the blinky window. But I think the plastic bag you put over the handlebars probably protects anything that needs protecting. Don't know what to say about water accumulating in your bag, unless you could drape a plastic bag over that in some way also.

Rodney

May all your days be Segway days!

cmonkey
05-20-2005, 12:49 PM
55 gal trash bag, cloths pins, and 1gal ziplock bag.

trash bag can cover the whole seg, cloths pins can be used to clip bag to fenders or mat.

If you need to keep bag, stuff it all in the ziplock and put in your 25.0 bag, otherwise just toss.

I love my magic carpet!

Dragan
05-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Zoli,
The weakest link in the system is the charge port cover. Make certain that it is fully closed, and a strip of duct tape over it isn't a bad idea. If you get any water penetrating into the machine at that point, you are looking at some expensive trouble potentially. It can migrate right into the power base, and almost certainly it will get the electronics in the CSB. Either way, dead Segway. Also, check the gasket in your charge port. If it's mis-alligned or damaged (and both can happen easily) you won't have a proper seal when it's closed and water will find it's way in. Otherwise, the machine is highly resistant to water
Wayne

Segway of Alberta - Calgary
www.mysegway.ca

Sal
05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I remember my first segway had a problem in rain / moisture in the air (like passing through mist near a sprinkler) it would give me safety shutdown. It would work fine after 2 hrs (letting it dry.) I finally had the powerbase replaced by warranty, and the new one didn't have any issues. My current 170 doesn't have any of those issues as well, but I am careful not to take it out during the rain, and definitely not park it in the rain.

Besides, I'd hate to track water into the apartment! lol

-Sal

Think Different
www.apple.com

FusionMag
05-20-2005, 02:50 PM
ride baby ride... but no sudden stops. *ouch*

yosgof
05-20-2005, 05:06 PM
I´m Segging in the rain
Just Segging in the rain,
What a glorious feeling,
And I´m happy again.
I´m laughing at clouds
So dark, up above,
The sun´s in my heart
And I´m ready for love.

Let the stormy clouds chase.
Everyone from the place,
Come on with the rain
I have a smile on my face.
I´ll Seg down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just Seggin', Seggin' in the rain.

Dancing in the rain.

I'm happy again.

I'm Sagginand dancin' in the rain.

Dancin' and Seggin' in the rain.

Sorry guys, this posting just called for this and I had to get it out of my system :D

- Yossi
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3365119-lg.jpg

Billy Kirkland
05-21-2005, 12:03 AM
a small strip of velcro across the charging port will kept the port cap in place nice and tight

KSagal
05-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Zoli, I know where you can buy a cool rain protection device... It doesn't look at all goofy and you can have it for a good price...

http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/KSagal/greenhouse1.JPG

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

pam
05-21-2005, 08:38 AM
I use a poncho and that clear 3" wide strapping tape across my keyport/display area. I've never left it sitting out in the rain without my actually being on it and moving. I'm guessing a black trash bag and the handle bars down to as low as they'll go will work.
Pam

wwhopper
05-21-2005, 11:09 AM
We need a floor show for SegwayFest DC - maybe we can get Yossi, to come and sing and dance. This could revive the SegwayfesT dance routine from '03 in Chicago!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

yosgof
05-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Will,

I only do (rip off) lyrics, however if you are proposing a duet I'll gladly join you :D

- Yossi

ZoliHonig
05-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Today I went thorough a puddle that must have soanned for 75 yars and was 12" deep at some points ( I stayed away from those dips)!!!

The entire HT base was submerged (along with my feet) up to the charge port (luckily)

The HT made it out fine, except i rode into a curp that was totaly submergesd under the water. Luckily i was going slowly and i caught my self.

It was pretty cool though, gliding in 7" of water.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

Mr_Laurenzano
05-23-2005, 12:52 AM
yosgof: That kinda sounds like statmeds song "Gliding up the road"
Stat>>>>

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

bystander
05-23-2005, 01:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by ZoliHonig

Today I went thorough a puddle that must have soanned for 75 yars and was 12" deep at some points ( I stayed away from those dips)!!!

The entire HT base was submerged (along with my feet) up to the charge port (luckily)

The HT made it out fine, except i rode into a curp that was totaly submergesd under the water. Luckily i was going slowly and i caught my self.

It was pretty cool though, gliding in 7" of water.

---
[8]-Zoli[8]
Don't want to "rain on your parade", (so to speak), but you might want to check out this thread:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7807

Don't miss the follow-up on the 2nd page:

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7807&whichpage=2

I'm not trying to cause any unnecessary anxiety, SegwayUtah's "immersion event" was probably more extreme than yours, but if it happened to me, I'd want to know all the implications and preventions as soon as possible.

KSagal
05-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Yossi,

It's nice that you sing and all, but am I showing my ignorance in the fact that I always thought of Tel Aviv as an arid place...

What do you know of segging in the rain?

LOL

Karl Ian Sagal

yosgof
05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Karl,

I understand what you are trying to do here. Your are trying to pull the "fancy English" card on the poor foreigner by using such difficult words as "arid".

So, for your information Tel Aviv is world famous for its winter precipitations which compounded by an overall state of street wetness amount to extensive and overwhelming puddles witch at some locations may be insurmountable and thus form significant obstacles to pedestrians and otherwise maneuverable street occupants.

As for my knowledge of segging in the rain, while not frequently applicable to my domestic environment it stems from reading threads about people form the good state of New York crashing into puddles.

:D

- Yossi

KSagal
05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
As far as stating that I have been too tough on your command of english, poppycock! You are claiming a weakness where there clearly is none...

As far as rain. My parents retired years ago to Las Vegas, Nevada. In terms of topography, it is considered high plains desert. Clearly looks like desert, cactus, sandstone, etc.

Every year my father would have an adventure or two with having his car flooded out. It seems that when it did rain, which was not too often, but mostly during one season, the ground is not good at absorbing it, so it flows and puddles at all the low spots.

He would be driving in the 'desert' and come to a low dip in the road, during a rain storm and drown the engine, time after time...

I never did get over the laughing at his situation. In the 10 years that he lived there, he drown his engine out more times than he did in the 60 years of living in New England...

Yossi, I was just poking fun. I'm glad you could take it... I am looking forward to the future when I can steal a few weeks and visit Israel and Tel Aviv.

Till then...

Karl Ian Sagal

SegwayUtah
05-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Just to add my 2 cents in, I ran through a bunch of water with an HT once, submerging the base and the fenders (accidentally). It went through fine, but it got grumpy later on. I ended up needing to dry it out for a day or two.

That was fresh water. Salt water would scare me.

Rain should be fine.

Chris

ZoliHonig
05-23-2005, 06:38 PM
I rode today and nothing was wrong with it..

Lets hope it stays that way

---
[8]-Zoli[8]

yosgof
05-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Zoli,

Good for you!!!!

According to the following Segways are designed to be puddle proof:
quote:Q: How do they operate in the rain and snow?

A: The Segway HT is a sealed unit and can run through puddles and wet environments. Snow tires and studdable snow tires are available for the Segway HT.

The full article is at http://www.cityofseattle.net/fleets/segwayfaq.htm

- Yossi

yosgof
05-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Karl,

This is what Tel Aviv looks like after a rain:

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3384417-lg.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

- Yossi

KSagal
05-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Nice long exposure shot!

We should have a photo contest.

Makes me want to come visit all the more.

Thanks for the view,

Karl Ian Sagal