PDA

View Full Version : Leg amputee

macfabrice123
05-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Hello,
To start, sorry for my english that might not be perfect, I am belgian... ;)
I am a left leg amputee (hemipelvectomy), 33 years old, and I am the happy user of a Segway p-model.
I just get a problem with the position sensors. I am most of the time using it without my prothesis, and cannot then use it at full capacity, 2 of the 4 sensors not being activated (a minimum of 3 is required). The Segway is then always running at low speed, not full potential.
Have you any trick I could use to unlock it ? I am thinking of a plate I would push with my right foot that would in the same time activate one of the left sensor...
Thanks in advance for your replies !
Fabrice

cmonkey
05-11-2005, 11:47 PM
use a hinge instead.
attach one arm to the seg with the hinge at the bottom left of the platform.
fold down the hinge so that you can step on it with the right foot.
you'll need to attach about 1/4 inch of material to the bottom side of the hinge so that when you step down with the right foot, it'll keep the left side of the platform down on the sensors.

then when you dont need it you can just fold it up out of the way. just use magnetic tape or velcro.

if you need a diagram, i can draw something up and email it to you.

I love my magic carpet!

KSagal
05-12-2005, 08:29 AM
I believe there is a stiffener in the mat at the heel sensors.

One of the easiest ways to deal with this may be to simply use that concept. I think that a stiff bar, like a metal ruler, accross both heel sensors may do the trick. Then, with your foot at an angle, the heel near the center in the back, and the toe toward the front right, your weight can activate three sensors with a minimum of effort.

The other thing to do would be to use a good stiff tape, and tape down just one of the left sensors, all the time. Then activate the right sensors with your right foot.

I am not offering these suggestions as any expert, just as a personal thought.

By the way, Welcome to Segways and this chat!

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Stewbonz
05-12-2005, 10:47 AM
It might not start up with a sensor taped down?
A six pac of cold beer might keep it pressed down.
Didn't the 10.0 software allow one or two sensors only?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

sitseg
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Hello Fabrice,

There are several ways to push down all four sensors with one foot. The easiest is to use a 1/2 inch piece of plywood cut into a U-shaped piece. The U-shaped piece should be the same shape as the raised area of the rubber mat, but slightly smaller. Place the cut plywood piece on top of the mat. This will spread your weight among all four sensors. Test to make sure does. (It will). Next, you will want to apply something to both sides of the plywood so that it will have a higher friction coefficient. You could glue rubber to it or paint it with a nonskid surface. Good luck.
Also visit www.draft.cc for additional information or suggestions.

macfabrice123
05-26-2005, 05:57 AM
thank all for your replies !
Fabrice

Stan671
05-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Fabrice, you can achieve the pressing of three sensors under the mat by different positioning of your one foot. Instead of putting your foot where it should be, slide it back a bit and angle it almost to 45 degrees with the heal almost behind the control shaft base and the toe pointing outwards toward the gearbox.

With the metal plate that is in the mat, this will transfer your weight around the back of the mat to the rear sensor on the other side. Try variations of this position to find one that works for you.

Stan Dobrowski